PDA

View Full Version : T5 Modifications

MattB
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:05
Hello all, :worship: :worship: :worship:

I would very much like to 'modify' my T5 so that it wipes the smile off a few more faces on the road.

Can someone possibly give me an idea of which mods to carry out, what they do, approx cost and whether or not they are a DIY job?

For info - I have a standard 96 T5 Saloon with a couple of hundred pounds to spend....

I'll look forward to your suggestions!

Many thanks in advance,
Matt.

SaffronC70
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:09
keep saving :)

Couple of hundred pounds - I would suggest a DV kit from Kalmar Union (mainly for the sound), poly top engine mount (to help gear changes), and the Dave cold air feed from the front valance (cheap mod and effective alternative to drilled holes).

Also, move your horns for something to do, and make sure your air filter is in good health.

Chris

nobananas
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:15
First thing to probably do is make sure everything is healthy to begin with. Renew your plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, engine oil etc if you don't know when they were done last . Also do you know when the cambelt was last replaced because it's very expensive if it lets go and also quite embarrasing if you are about to wipe the floor with Johnny Saxo :eek:

fraz13
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:18
Stage 0 Tune up, look here....

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=217

Wouldnt go to Kalmar tho, loads of places do DV's and fitting kits, Really up to you what kind you want and budget

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:29
Once you've done all the performance mods - you could start on looks like these sweedish guys....

*warning* 34MB download - but worth it : DOWNLOAD MOVIE HERE (http://www.cardwell.co.uk/cars/volvo/others-cars/movies/Vallakra%20Volvo%20Meet.mpg)

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 09:50
Dont do a DV if you are starting your modifications - it can bugger everything else up - once you have the power you want out of it if you still want a DV then fit it - its not a performance modification as you wont get anymore out of it.

The cheapest power increase is an MBC - around £30 which is a DIY job (if you know what you are doing) - However the most effective power increase is an ECU remap but it will set you back from around £350 for 280bhp to £500 for 304bhp! This will be done by the supplier.

Hope this helps!

x

chriskay
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:11
Stretch your budget a little & go for the Rica upgrade; it will transform the car.
Cheers, Chris.

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:15
keep saving :)

Couple of hundred pounds - I would suggest a DV kit from Kalmar Union (mainly for the sound), poly top engine mount (to help gear changes), and the Dave cold air feed from the front valance (cheap mod and effective alternative to drilled holes).

Also, move your horns for something to do, and make sure your air filter is in good health.

Chris

The name is Steve (aka Bracer) :shifty:

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:25
The name is Steve (aka Bracer) :shifty:

Except you aren't the only person with it :haha: Dave and J also have a cold air feed!

x

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:29
Except you aren't the only person with it :haha: Dave and J also have a cold air feed!

x

I didn't realise that, I thought they decided against it after I documented it.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:39
The air feed I have is not connected to the box. It is there to supply more air to the holes in the bottom. I would be worried about hydro-lock the way you have it set up mate. (however unlikely the possibility is)

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:42
The air feed I have is not connected to the box. It is there to supply more air to the holes in the bottom. I would be worried about hydro-lock the way you have it set up mate. (however unlikely the possibility is)

So I was right then and this quote is wrong

and the Dave cold air feed from the front valance (cheap mod and effective alternative to drilled holes).

MattB
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:16
Wow, :B_thumb:

Many thanks for your suggestions guys - think I'll keep saving!
In the meantime - what's an MBC - where do I get the parts etc??

Also, have just checked the history for cambelt change - has a receipt for Timing Belt and Idler - are these the same as a cambelt?
How often do they need changing?

Matt.

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:19
Cam belt 80K

MBC = Manual boost controller - Bracer will point you in the right direction of where to get one from! There is also a how to section on here showing you how to fit it!

x

MattB
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:27
Many thanks Mrs Mopp -

Just had a look at Molly in the gallery - looks great!!

Can I be cheeky and ask how you modified the grille - black certainly looks good with the silver Volvo Badge etc.....

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:31
Black spray paint :shhh: Bit of masking tape and it comes up great!

(BTW I assume you mean Winnie not Molly ;) )

x

MattB
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:38
Yep - sorry!! :slap: :doh:

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:55
She looked like yours does when I first got the old girl!! :wink:

x

MattB
Monday 11th April 2005, 21:03
Magic!
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I think I'll go for the MBC - any ideas where I can get one from?
Also, having trouble locating the fitting guide in the 'how to' section - could someone possibly point me in the right direction?

:cuckoo:

SaffronC70
Monday 11th April 2005, 21:21
worried about hydro-lock the way you have it set up mate. (however unlikely the possibility is)

standard airbox has a small drain hole in the bottom, hehe.

:hidesbehi

Chris

"do it, do it" - Starsky n Hutch

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 22:57
Yeah but I aint talking about a few drops - to induce hydro-lock* - you have to be going through a serious puddle. We are taking about one that laps the bottom of the axles. I dare sya that Steve will not encounter such a thing, but having an air intake that low does increase the risk. I would not want anything nasty to happen to SAM, that's all I am saying.

*which has happened to me, on my old Vauxhall Cav

siamblue
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 01:49
Yeah but I aint talking about a few drops - to induce hydro-lock* - you have to be going through a serious puddle. We are taking about one that laps the bottom of the axles. I dare sya that Steve will not encounter such a thing, but having an air intake that low does increase the risk. I would not want anything nasty to happen to SAM, that's all I am saying.

*which has happened to me, on my old Vauxhall Cav

Anyone that knows the Portsmouth area will have heard of Pigeon House lane,
I had a brand new Astravan 2.0 16v dti,4k on the clock,I was late for a job,
At the bottom of this lane is a ford,and it said 1meter :smileypul,So i thought run and jump it,I reversed up and hit the throttle went in at 25mph got half way across and the bloody thing stopped in the middle of this raging torrent,
I couldn't open the door as the water would've came in,
Cut a long story short hydraulic locked the engine,Vauxhall said loads of them come in like that,But someone was looking down on me,As all it needed was a new filter and glow plugs, :wow:,Better than a £3k engine.