PDA

View Full Version : Brake Stutters

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 15:52
So I've just taken the ole girl out for a really hard drive across small roads on the Fens. It involved heavy acceleration followed by some heavy breaking. As a result of one particularly heavy moment I've appears to have picked up a lot of shudder/stutter on my front breaks.

Anyone any thoughts as to if it's just warm/sticky breakes (new performance brakes not so long ago) or something more sinister ?

Andrew.

nobananas
Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:11
If it's doing it all the time now sounds like a warped disc !

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:26

Shouldn't be had them replaced not so long ago - I'm just letting the brakes cool down and then will jump out for another quick blast - you gotta love them fen roads.

Ross9
Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:42
Doesnt matter how old/new discs are, if you get them hot and the torque on the wheel nuts isnt even, they'll warp. Sometimes it goes away as they cool down again, but heavy car, going fast on b-roads, wouldnt be surprised if youve warped them, just standard ones?

Ross

siamblue
Sunday 10th April 2005, 16:56
850s 280mm fr discs are prone to this i am afraid,Hear of it all too often.

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 17:33
See the sig - Brembo Discs & Ferrodo DS2500s

Ross9
Sunday 10th April 2005, 17:43
You can still warp Brembo discs, just takes more effort to do so.

How were they after you let them cool down?

Ross

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 18:11
You can still warp Brembo discs, just takes more effort to do so.

How were they after you let them cool down?

Ross

Not tried them yet. To be honest if there warped after that 20minute run I'd be very disapointed.

rich850t5
Sunday 10th April 2005, 18:25
Doesnt matter how old/new discs are, if you get them hot and the torque on the wheel nuts isnt even, they'll warp. Sometimes it goes away as they cool down again, but heavy car, going fast on b-roads, wouldnt be surprised if youve warped them, just standard ones?

Rosscould this also be anything to do with old/worn bushing's?

Ross9
Sunday 10th April 2005, 23:43
20 mins blat would seem too little to warp a set of brembo discs, but stranger things have happened, from brembo discs and DS2500 pads I would expect no rumbling of any sort though under 20 mins of b-roads, depending on effort, you must have been chatting on ;)

If the wheel nuts are wrongly, or unevenly, torqued, this will make the discs much more prone to warping.

Fingers crossed everything is still the shape it is meant to be.

Ross

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 23:48
If the wheel nuts are wrongly, or unevenly, torqued, this will make the discs much more prone to warping.

yeah but the front wheels haven't been off since the brakes where fitted by VT.

I didn't get a chance to take her out tonight - bloody families - I'll do so in the AM.

Cheers Chaps.
Andrew.

bay13
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:47
You say it's from the front brakes, does the steering wheel shake in your hand, if not it's more than likely the rear brakes.

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:49
You say it's from the front brakes, does the steering wheel shake in your hand, if not it's more than likely the rear brakes.

Yup shakey steering wheel and all.

I still haven't been out in it - work has kept me very busy
I'm hopeing for today at lunchtime.

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 19:16
Right well I managed to do a 30 minute round trip tonight.

for the first 20 minutes everything was fine - then the last 10 minutes the stuttering returned and when I examined the front brakes the smell of "burn" was pretty bad. Could it just be sticky brakes/pads or do we think I've warped the disks in less than 1k ?

Ross9
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 20:36
if its not doing it all the time, and smells like hte pads are burning, then its mostl likely that they are, and its them that are at fault. Try changing them I'm afraid, surprised at ds2500 giving up at that, but it is a heavy car, or maybe a duff set.

Ross

Andrew
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:27
if its not doing it all the time, and smells like hte pads are burning, then its mostl likely that they are, and its them that are at fault. Try changing them I'm afraid, surprised at ds2500 giving up at that, but it is a heavy car, or maybe a duff set.

Ross

Adam / Hamish - any comments before I start to fiddle ?

siamblue
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:36
Andrew you have to get the wheels off,and take the pads out,see if there is anything amiss,Take the discs off and see if they are true.

KARL
Monday 31st October 2005, 12:57
I think I have warped the left 302mm front disc.

After some heavy braking 120 to 0 , (twice) the discs/pads were smoking.

After letting them cool I drove softly for the rest of the day with no problems , or judder

Had new shocks since and tracking done and now i have judder from , which

feels like the left hand side.

My old discs got alot of abuse and never warped only massive fade (standard pads)

current discs are from volvo and pads are ferrodo DS somthing !

I wonder if the wheel bolts played a part in this as in previous thread

any one help my shaking motor :B_steerin

Cheers

SaffronC70
Monday 31st October 2005, 13:47
what is the correct torque for wheels bolts ?

Mine has gone in for new control arms - I could blame Volvo for not doing up my nuts correctly, hehe.

Chris

Al115
Monday 31st October 2005, 14:29
110Nm from memory.

essfortee
Monday 31st October 2005, 14:43

Warped discs?

Have a read of this link

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

KARL
Wednesday 2nd November 2005, 14:27
essfortee

Good find mate cheers

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 2nd November 2005, 14:40
Andrew my S70 brakes were like that halfway around the Nurburgring, but everyday normal driving were fine afterwards.