PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my electric seat this afternoon

Dacvolvo
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 19:37
Hi, Folks

Having read the other threads on electric seats not working - thought I'd give you a quick run down on mine...

As some of you found out today; my passenger seats back rest would not "tip" forward or backward and at first I thought the spring had come away. However, this afternoon, I stripped the seat down and all the springs were fine. I could hear the little control box ticking away whenever I moved the control button to tilt the backrest forward or backward, but there was no movement.

Anyways, I noticed that the motor in the backrest was very hot to touch. Strange... I tried disconnecting the power wires in a vain attempt to rest the motor, but nothing seemed to work.

In the end, I grabbed a pair of mole grips and tried to turn the shaft the motor controls in a last effort attempt to at least re-position the backrest into a more comfortable position for my passengers.

There was a click and a buzz - the motor seemed to have been locked in place and by simply turning the shaft "one click", the motor had become free and was no longer seized - woo hoo!!!!!

The seat works perfect now! So if you've tried everything else and you feel like throwing a brick through your car's window having been unable to locate the problem with the backrest on the front seats, try this little method (Last option of course as this could potentially blow the motor - but by this point, I was past caring!).

Simply lift the leather out of the way - the leather in the corner (shown with the red circle below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70/Seat.jpg

There's a little shaft with teeth under that red circle - I turned it clockwise until I heard a click (about a quarter of a turn).

That's it! ;)

Jaseb77
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 20:06
Well done,
Davy

Glad it wasn't anything difficult, or expensive

Cheers

Jase

Dacvolvo
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 21:19
Cheers, Jase

The seat had been working fine until last night when I was trying to squeeze a TV in the back seat and think I pulled the seat forwrd too roughly.

I checked the owners manual and that says that there is an overload switch - basically, if something is in the door's way when trying to move the seat, it'll freeze up for 20/30 seconds before you'll be able to move it again. I think my seat somehow managed to seize whilst in over load mode.

Anyways, I'm just glad there's no hefty bill to pay - pheew!

Cracking looking car you have there, bud and nice to finally put a face to the name ;)