PDA

View Full Version : Dont know where to put this!! 340 HELP

gtiteen
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 14:26
My mate has a diesel 340. He left it town the other night and it rained heavily. In the morning when he went to pick it up it just would start. It turns over fine and all that.
What could it be, its still sitting there not moving. Could it be water in the plugs? Or is this more likely fuelling or electically related?

Any help much appreciated
Dave

T5ER
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 14:40
mate i am a little confused? you say its a diesel but ask if it could have water in the plugs?,any way have you tried bump starting it or even tow starting it ???? could be a air leak on a diesel pipe,could be glow plugs,could be fuel drained out of fuel lines,could be glow plug relay,tbh it could be anything,try tow starting it and go from there other than that give the AA or RAC a ring

splatt
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 15:31
most likely cause is airlock in the injector system. If it turns over then all it needs is diesal to fire it up (assuming the heater plugs (if fitted) work)
Dont know alot about the 340 but diesal is basic compression ignition, air in cylinder is compressed which gets hot, diesal is sprayed in by the injector creating a fine 'mist' which reaches its flashpoint in the hot compressed air and ignites, heater plugs only 'aid' the process on initial start.
If you have an airlock in the fuel system the fuel will not reach the injector as the airlock prevents it.

Make sense?

gtiteen
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 16:16
most likely cause is airlock in the injector system. If it turns over then all it needs is diesal to fire it up (assuming the heater plugs (if fitted) work)
Dont know alot about the 340 but diesal is basic compression ignition, air in cylinder is compressed which gets hot, diesal is sprayed in by the injector creating a fine 'mist' which reaches its flashpoint in the hot compressed air and ignites, heater plugs only 'aid' the process on initial start.
If you have an airlock in the fuel system the fuel will not reach the injector as the airlock prevents it.

Make sense?

Yeah i get it, so how do i check the fuelling with out spraying diesel everywhere? Sorry i dont know that much about diesels, never had one in the family EVER!!! Could it be electical still if the glow plugs arent kicking in, or would it start anyway after turning over for ages on a warmish dat?

splatt
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 17:13
there is normally a bleed valve on or near the pump, once an airlock is clear it will pump normally. Dont know what this looks like or is located on the car you mention.

Could still be electrical

It is unlikely to start if you keep cranking unless its a direct injection, it will therefore not have any glow plugs.

For a diesal to run you need heat (compression) and fuel (injection)
The glow plugs are the catalyst to get the cycle working. All the turning of the engine could have caused them to become dirty and therefore they would need a clean.

As I say, I know little about the car but theese are the basic principles of diesal engines!

Pat

splatt
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 17:17
found this for you.

click me (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel.htm)

poochingaround
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 18:54
Check electrical connection to fuel pump 12V .Should it be ok crack off one injector pipe and Crank over engine, hopefully it will fire tighten up injector pipe as engine runs.

T-5ones
Sunday 24th September 2006, 09:37
IMO all of the glow plugs are unlikely to failed over night. The degredation is usually slow and the enine will still start (poorly) and run even with some unhealthy glowplugs so try bleeding the system and other suggestions already posted. Hope you find the cause mate.

gtiteen
Sunday 24th September 2006, 11:39
It started by itself!!! We left it for like a day and then it fired 1st time no problem... crazy!
Thanks for your help anyway,
Dave

fireclown
Sunday 6th July 2008, 16:52
did they make a 340 diesel ?

lou ferrigno
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 07:22
I don't think that the 340 Diesel was ever sold in the UK
but . . . in France in particular, 340 Diesels are everywhere, or at least they used to be say 4 / 5 years ago.

Rufe
Tuesday 5th August 2008, 09:59
did they make a 340 diesel ?

yes, with the D16 engine (54bhp)

T-5HAUN
Saturday 30th August 2008, 01:21
54bhp? Fred Flintstone did better than that with his legs :-)

gtiteen
Saturday 30th August 2008, 02:11
even with a pathetic 54bhp we managed to get the rear out... the tyres were soooooo small!!!! would've had better grip on my welll.... yeah grip wasnt great!!