PDA

View Full Version : Questions about S60R

MOB
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:03
I picked up my S60R yesterday - and will post some pics asap :kiss:

I have a few questions - if anyone can help on these it would be great;

- I have a light clonking noise from underneath that seems to happen when I back off the throttle and push it again - there is no feeling of it clonking, just a slight noise?? Anyone any ideas on what it could be?

- has anyone tuned their S60R? I think off the line its superb, and above 80mph it pulls like a train, but in between its a bit flat at higher revs - just wondering how different a RICA'd one would be for example.

- has anyone fitted a Volvo Ipod connector to their S60? I have seen one on USA Ebay for about £125 - seems like a good solution?

- anyone else think that the HU850 head unit is much less bassy than the older HU803? I have it at max bass and it doesn't shake the seats like my 803 did in my D5.

All in all I am over the moon with the car - all the best bits on my old D5, but with the R nice bits. Shame about the fuel consumption though :firedevil

Simon
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:22
A Rushden Man. Congratulations and keep an eye out for me C4 SMT! I've always wanted to see how my tuned T5 fares against an S60R :B_blite:

MOB
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:26
I think I have encountered you before!!

About 6 months ago, silver S40T5 on the Rushden bypass?

You murdered me.........

Simon
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:34
I only remember having a bit of a burn with one S40 T5 up the Rushden bypass on the way home from work, so I guess it must have been you! I was actually quite surprised how quick the S40 T5 was!

Simon
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:36
Sounds like it could be link rods BTW... had the same on mine, changed the rear link rods and the knocking noise was gone!

MOB
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:57
Looking at your sig, couple of questions for you!

- how easy are the door pins to fit?

- how much of a difference did the BSR make? And does it improve the bottom/mid/top end the most?

Thanks for the info on the link rods - its in for service soon so I'll get them to have a look!

Redbrick
Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:00
- has anyone fitted a Volvo Ipod connector to their S60? I have seen one on USA Ebay for about £125 - seems like a good solution?

Fitted a PA11-VOL to my D5:Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D320013338147%2 6fvi%3D1&item=320013338147&rd=1)

Think it works out at £75 delivered (I bought a second hand one in the UK for £50 though). The plug is the same as a multichanger lead so it fools the headunit into thinking it has one attached. All the steering wheel buttons work and it sounds spot on.

Ipod holder from Brodit: http://www.brodit.com/

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/apurnell1970/Volvo/DSCF0794.jpg

MOB
Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:06
oooh now I'm excited

MOB
Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:16
Just bought one - cheers for the link!

S60D5
Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:40
Andy, how easy was it to fit?

GATHY
Friday 22nd September 2006, 15:08
[QUOTE=MOB]I picked up my S60R yesterday - and will post some pics asap :kiss:

- I have a light clonking noise from underneath that seems to happen when I back off the throttle and push it again - there is no feeling of it clonking, just a slight noise?? Anyone any ideas on what it could be?

will be drop links imoa they seem to go all the time on every s60 ive had

Simon
Friday 22nd September 2006, 15:27
Looking at your sig, couple of questions for you!

- how easy are the door pins to fit?

- how much of a difference did the BSR make? And does it improve the bottom/mid/top end the most?

Thanks for the info on the link rods - its in for service soon so I'll get them to have a look!

Door pins just unscrew (might need pliers to start them off) and screw the new ones on.

The BSR upgrade makes a big difference mid and top end.

RobA
Friday 22nd September 2006, 15:35
My dad has an S60R and he too had the clonking...

trouble is, I cant remember what it was now.....the dealer did easily find the problem though and sorted it so hopefully you will get it sorted at the next service. I'll ask him when I see him and see if he can remember.

My dad's is RICA'd as well and it's a fantastic drive....pulls really well throughout the rev range. I dont think you'd be disappointed if you went for it. One word of advice though would be to make sure that all of the software updates have been done by the dealers before taking it for its RICA.

There are loads of updates, probably less for you as I'm guessing you have a 2005 model (seeing as you have the HU850 stereo) but worth checking IMHO

kimbaleeg
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 16:16
is it not just as simple as the exhaust banging on/off throttle possibley

franky
Sunday 24th September 2006, 20:55
the clonking is either - drivetrain slag or the front axle spines clonking/clinking, they is new bolts to hold spine to hub better.

MOB
Sunday 24th September 2006, 21:04
drivetrain slag

:confused: :confused: :biggrin: :biggrin:

franky
Monday 25th September 2006, 12:46
:confused: :confused: :biggrin: :biggrin:

sorry, i meant drivetrain "slack" .lol

BlackBeast
Monday 25th September 2006, 12:53
drivetrain slag

4 wheel drives / all wheel drives should be known as drivetrain slags from now on!!! :lol:

franky
Monday 25th September 2006, 23:29
4 wheel drives / all wheel drives should be known as drivetrain slags from now on!!! :lol:

lol

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 08:32
I picked up my S60R yesterday - and will post some pics asap :kiss:
- has anyone tuned their S60R? I think off the line its superb, and above 80mph it pulls like a train, but in between its a bit flat at higher revs - just wondering how different a RICA'd one would be for example.
- anyone else think that the HU850 head unit is much less bassy than the older HU803? I have it at max bass and it doesn't shake the seats like my 803 did in my D5.
All in all I am over the moon with the car - all the best bits on my old D5, but with the R nice bits. Shame about the fuel consumption though :firedevil
hey. congratulations :)
is it a manual or a geartronic ?

MOB
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 12:34
Its a manual - I considered an auto but they have quite a bit less torque

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 12:44
Its a manual - I considered an auto but they have quite a bit less torque
you did very well indeed :) with just a 3"dp, exhaust and chip, you'll be well over 300 whp.

volvotuning
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 13:05
you did very well indeed :) with just a 3"dp, exhaust and chip, you'll be well over 300 whp.

Indeed, with just a downpipe and RICA ECU upgrade you can have a minimum of 315-320 bhp @ wheels.

Adam.

MOB
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 09:42
Adam - what would be the differences between the BSR and RICA remaps for the R?

And would you expect an improvement in mpg? (trying to convince the missus that its a good idea.......)

volvotuning
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 11:01
Adam - what would be the differences between the BSR and RICA remaps for the R?

And would you expect an improvement in mpg? (trying to convince the missus that its a good idea.......)

With RICA you can expect around 5% improvement in MPG. I don't have enough feedback about MPG with the BSR.

As for the difference, can you be more specific?

Adam.

Serdar-S60T5
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 12:19
As for the difference, can you be more specific?
Adam.
He might be expecting a horsepower / torque comparison between a BSR upgrade and a RICA upgrade if i got it correctly. :B_steerin

MOB
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 12:45
More of a comparison between the 2 - gains, how they feel on the road, and any benefits of one over the other (BSR is switchable isnt it?)

Other than the switchability, are there any other reasons to go BSR instead of RICA?

Cheers

volvotuning
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 13:21
More of a comparison between the 2 - gains, how they feel on the road, and any benefits of one over the other (BSR is switchable isnt it?)

Other than the switchability, are there any other reasons to go BSR instead of RICA?

Cheers

OK, well in a nutshell, BSR is designed as the ultimate in DIY tuning, whereas the RICA is all about obtaining the best performance.

What this actually means is that the BSR is a Stage 1 solution for the R which you can do yourself, ie for maximum convenience. However, there is no stage 2 or 3 tuning, so if you want to go further at a later stage, you can't.

RICA is all about best performance. OK, you have to take it to an installation centre, however the software can be tweaked there if there is a performance issue, hardware issues can also be resolved there and then, and you can tune further with custom software should you want to do more at a later stage.

Adam.

MOB
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 13:25
Cheers Adam