PDA

View Full Version : Give a little whistle

dafinchie
Thursday 21st September 2006, 21:00
On my way to work tonight i gave the car some beanz, nothing too harsh just enough to make you smile and i heard a whistle as i accelerated. The only way i can describe the noise is it is similar to the whistle a jet makes when it takes off (but not as loud). It might have been doing it for a while but this is the first time in ages i've had the stereo low enought to hear it. Didn't have time to investigate on my way to work but i suspect it may be something to do with the turbo, anybody else had this ?

bubba_1986
Thursday 21st September 2006, 21:30
Yes mate, this is the noise you hear as the turbo spools up. The faster the turbo spinning the more noise is going to be disapated from the bearing ('s)

Nothing to worry about, quite a nice noise, then you get the dump from the recirculation valve, or you might have a atmospheric dump valve

dafinchie
Thursday 21st September 2006, 21:34
I thought it might be the turbo, i know they make a whistle but this just seemd very loud. Wondered if it might be a sign of something on its way out.

Paul-T5
Thursday 21st September 2006, 21:53
I would suspect that if you have never heard the noise before and you have just noticed it, that you may have some sort of airleak in one of the pipes. Just a guess and may be worth having a look at.

bubba_1986
Thursday 21st September 2006, 22:06
I would suspect that if you have never heard the noise before and you have just noticed it, that you may have some sort of airleak in one of the pipes. Just a guess and may be worth having a look at.

This is true, but i was going on fact tht, you said you turned radio down. Hope you dont have airleak, as from what ave read some can be little bugers to find

flyinglemur
Monday 25th September 2006, 00:13
mine is quite loud if I have the blower on, what with it sucking air from outside

dafinchie
Monday 25th September 2006, 08:42
hmmmm! took it out over the weekend and put it through its paces and didn't hear a thing. Will have to keep an ear open and see if it happens again.