PDA

View Full Version : Some smoke on idle 850t5

GAZ-MAN
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 11:32
hi all my m8s dad has a t5 saloon he's had if for a few years and recently when the car is idling some light blue smoke starts to come from the exhaust but clears when you drive away its only after a min or 2 of it sitting idling it does it, and when u first start the car and the blowers are on u smell a whiff of oil then goes away, does this sound like a blocked up breather system??

Babybadger
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 11:40
hi all my m8s dad has a t5 saloon he's had if for a few years and recently when the car is idling some light blue smoke starts to come from the exhaust but clears when you drive away its only after a min or 2 of it sitting idling it does it, and when u first start the car and the blowers are on u smell a whiff of oil then goes away, does this sound like a blocked up breather system??

While the engine is running , take the dip stick out, if it is puffing out smoke , then YES its a blocked breather system. But I don't think it is this.

It sounds like the odd whiff of oil at startup is turbo seal, not disastrous, but needs to be watched, check all the hoses are tight as well (the whiff of oil when the blowers are on) , especially the intercooler pipe going to the turbo.

Rnash2002
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 12:15
Would defo say exhuast side turbo oil seals

GAZ-MAN
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 13:47
its even if the car has been running m8 theres no smoke on start up, just when you'vbe been driving and stop then leave it ticking over some smoke starts coming out the exhaust

Rnash2002
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 18:27
its even if the car has been running m8 theres no smoke on start up, just when you'vbe been driving and stop then leave it ticking over some smoke starts coming out the exhaust
What there is no smoke when shes cold but once warm it starts?

st1t5
Thursday 21st September 2006, 08:25

Sounds like turbo oil seals to me, probably smokes on hard accelaration and on overrun aswell.

jimka
Thursday 21st September 2006, 20:55
i have a similar problem, for the first 3 mins odd of start-up the engine "ticks" from one of the valves i think and shes blows a lot of blue...

once the engine warms up and the oil moves about the ticking reduces, but today a mate reported that when driving and speeding up, (even in traffic) he could see quite a fair bit of blue smoke out of the exhaust system!

do you think this could be the turbo as well?

regards

Jim

KARL
Thursday 21st September 2006, 21:48
I have smoke on start ups hot or cold , but not all the time.

When left to idle for a while , the first throttle strike brings a big puff of white
smoke then clears totally.

I have been told turbo oil seal failing.The car is making only pulling 1.0 bar and drive`s -

fine.
I no what I have to do , but in the meen time I just keep an eye on oil

levels untill the day comes to get it done or a 19 T , HAha

Cheers Karl

1998 V70 R AWD 139 K and Rica.

nobananas
Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:53
I've got the sasme problem. No smoke on start up. non on over-run, non on hard acceleration only smokes when left ticking over for a few minutes. I thought turbo seals too and even priced them up. Then did a compression test and number 4 was well down so looks like piston rings are shagged on that cylinder on mine ! Might be worth you doing a compression test with your fingers crossed.

dreadly
Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:02
I've got the sasme problem. No smoke on start up. non on over-run, non on hard acceleration only smokes when left ticking over for a few minutes. I thought turbo seals too and even priced them up. Then did a compression test and number 4 was well down so looks like piston rings are shagged on that cylinder on mine ! Might be worth you doing a compression test with your fingers crossed.

Or the valves arn't sealing on that cylinder properly, the smoke could also be the valve stem seals.

nobananas
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 21:26
The valve stem oil seals don't have anything to do with holding compression as the valves are shut on the compresion stroke. Valve stem oil seals usually cause a puff of smoke on start up as the oil puddles on top of the valve when the car is left overnight or for a period of time.