PDA

View Full Version : 87° or 90°??

Babybadger
Monday 18th September 2006, 20:43
Just about to change the thermostat......which one should it be (I know it must be 'wahler')? I have an Auto, and yes I do boot it around (RICA 304) and I also have the climate control so I would imagine quite a load on the Radiator and Intercooler.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Straker
Monday 18th September 2006, 21:41
There is fairly large tolerance on these things and if the car is tuned I'd go for the 87 deg one. Day to day it won't make much differance but when you are thrashing it you want as much cooling as poss.

Like you said the ultimate cooling depends on the size of your rad/air flow etc.....

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 00:40
I called in for an 87deg thermostat and seemingly volvo don't do them anymore (discontinued)...
PM T5ER, he maybe able to source them for you...but I want the part number if you find them...

Babybadger
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 11:58
I called in for an 87deg thermostat and seemingly volvo don't do them anymore (discontinued)...
PM T5ER, he maybe able to source them for you...but I want the part number if you find them...

271417 is the part number (confirmed by Wayne @ Marshall's) and make sure it is made by 'wahler'.

Marshall's have them (or can get hold of them) PM T5ER.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 12:56
..anything above 75 degrees engine temp, you lose power.

Evidence?

Babybadger
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 11:50
Should I change the Engine coolant Temperature sensor at the same time? Or does it not matter with these?

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 20:02
Your Thermostat is mechanical so it has nothing to do with your temperature sensor.
You'll only need to look at that if you think you Dashboard reading is either not working or it doesn't match up with everyone elses. Or your Fan is not cutting in.

Mine reads almost perfectly in the centre. and you should be able to test that the fan actually works before you start playing with the sensor...

Babybadger
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 11:10
I have heard you can get an 82 degree thermostat as well. I don't know the part number if anyone else does please post it. These 87 degree (part no. 271417 or wahler 4272 87D ) are like rocking horse doo-doo, does anyone know of a company with them on the shelf? I think Marshall's are still waiting for them to come in.

Babybadger
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 11:33
Your Thermostat is mechanical so it has nothing to do with your temperature sensor.
You'll only need to look at that if you think you Dashboard reading is either not working or it doesn't match up with everyone elses. Or your Fan is not cutting in.

Mine reads almost perfectly in the centre. and you should be able to test that the fan actually works before you start playing with the sensor...

The fan definitely kicks in , but have been told by braydons that I could have a slight blockage in the radiator, due to scaling, he said if you feel the radiator some parts may be hotter than others :eek: hence the 4 o'clock to 2.30 position on the temperature guage!

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 23:30
very possible.. Are you going to try a second hand one..?