PDA

View Full Version : Black Mesh Grille-What do you think?

Montana
Saturday 16th September 2006, 17:47
Hi Folks,

I've just fitted this replacement grille to my T5R. Looked crap before I relocated the horns. I'm not too sure about it as my dad came round and asked "where's your grille gone?"

I'm sure it will grow on me but what do you guys think?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/nealjhalla/Volvo%20Upgrade%20Pics/BlackMeshGrille.jpg

T5R+
Saturday 16th September 2006, 17:49
That is a "lane 3" motorway grill - nice.

spencem875
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:01
Givf plz :)

Montana
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:04
Sorry mate, What's GIVF???

spencem875
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:06
Sorry, too much geek speak on irc. Givf = give, as in gimme 1 of those grills.

GregE102
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:11
Hi

Can you tell me where did you get that from or did you make it, I must say it looks a very good fitt, most grills that are fitted afterwards don't look right in the corners but that looks sweet and where have you put the horns

irf
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:13
yep looks mean, i like it:)

Montana
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:22
Hi Greg,

I got it from www.partsforvolvos.com (http://www.partsforvolvos.com) (model no:1000.1281). It does not come with the T5R Badge, I got that from eBay. I'm not sure if I got a good deal though, I paid £80.00 for this grille. A lot of money when all it is, is a sheet of metal mesh glued around a plastic frame!!!

Do shop around a bit, I did but I could not find a better deal.

I removed the horns, bolted them together positioned them in front of the battery. I need to think of a way to secure them to the engine bay, as currently they are just cushioned within the gap, albeit pretty tight though!

I had thought about removing them altogether, but then I thought how else would I hurry my wife up when I'm ready to hit the road and she's not!!!

howie
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:30
:B_thumb: looks good

spencem875
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:31
Bonnet release?

Montana
Saturday 16th September 2006, 18:39
Aah Bonnet Release, Good question!

The replacement that came with this was ****!!! I had to fabricate an adapter to allow the replacement bonnet switch/catch to sit were the original used to.

By the way, the fabrication was a length of garden wire. Great stuff! Works smoothly (so far!!)

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:49
How does it clip in??, if all it is is metal mesh glued to the back of a plastic frame I could consider making some from fibreglass.

Any chance of a photo from anyone who has one showing the mounting points??

Al115
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:50
I think I have an old /broken grille that you could use for mocking something up?

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:52
Having a spare grille aint a problem, its how the new ones attach to the car, I really need to see how they've gotten around it before I can consider making some. Thanks for the offer though.

Al115
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:56
Well, the new ones use the same mounting points as the old ones... maybe I've misunderstood again! :)

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:04
Yeah but if you've ever looked at the old ones they have some very small pins sticking up at the back for the clips, I was just wondering if the copies have the same sort of thing...

Al115
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:05
The mesh one I fitted had the same pins as the OEM one.

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:09
Hmm how do I get around something like that?, maybe use some resin to glue small nail heads into the back of the grille frame. Anybody think it'll be a good idea???

thunderace
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:55
that'd be fine as long as the heads are the 'correct' size etc

sounds a great idea

mind you a better bonnet release system than they supply with the mesh one's wouldn't go amiss lol

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 23:03
I'm going to look into it when I have a spare half hour, if I can mock the grilles up in fibre glass and mesh they wouldnt be anywhere near £80, more like £20 or £30 perhaps

thunderace
Saturday 16th September 2006, 23:06
tomcat , do you intend to spray them in body colour for that price?

Tomcat
Saturday 16th September 2006, 23:28
Oooo now your asking.....Lol,could do

SAMXPJ
Saturday 7th October 2006, 01:53
Best place for them is under the front nearside wing, there is a bracket there that you can use to secure the pair bolted together, and just extend the wiring, ie chop off the connectors and extend between soldering both ends, took about 45 mins.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 7th October 2006, 09:45
I'm going to look into it when I have a spare half hour, if I can mock the grilles up in fibre glass and mesh they wouldnt be anywhere near £80, more like £20 or £30 perhaps

I have one of these black aftermarket grilles in my garage because i didn't like the look of it when it was on the so i just painted the original grille black as posted earlier. Anyway back on track,the grille was only £40 off ebay no where near £80.

By the way the grille i have in the gargae is the one the user Montanna shows in the piccy on page 1 of this thread.

chewy
Saturday 7th October 2006, 19:45
Hi would be interested in the grills if you knock some up in fibre glass, would you do one with a black gel coat?