PDA

View Full Version : AutoGearbox Disaster

ColDan1
Saturday 16th September 2006, 16:57
Hi wonder if anyone has any idea of the following. Just purchased a fortnight ago from a dealer a Black 850R Estate with Auto Box 133K and FSH. Have had some niggly problems which seem to have been cured by changing some split hoses around engine, However just been out to shops and to fill it up and have had total G'Box failure. Managed to crawl home in 'D'. select 'R' on drive nothing, give it some revs and its jumps backwards. Selecting 'L', '3' or 'D' theres nowt. Anyone got any ideas still under 3 month warantee but only upto £500. Have I been sold the preverbial LEMONNNN.

M44K TS
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:40
right, first things first, there's the yellow dipstick on the front passenger side under the bonnet, this is the one for the transmission fluid, whip it out and check the colour, if it's anything other then a cherry red, change it. Also with the ignition off, park the car on a flat surface, put on the handbrake, now grab the gearleaver and select all positions (from park to "L" then back to park) Doe this about 10-15 times quickly.

I had a similar problem with mine, turns out it was a combination of them both, the fluid is easy to change, there's a guide for it aswell...

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1449&NodeID=4549&RootID=629

Took me and a mate about 10-15 minutes to do, also, the thing with the gearleaver is to clean the contacts on the PNP switch which is on the top of the gearbox..

again, link for it...
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/pnpswitch.php

Good luck

Niles
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:56
sounds like a lack of auto box oil to me.

ColDan1
Sunday 17th September 2006, 09:35
Thanks for the replies guys. Just been out this morning and looked at the oil it is definately not cherry red. Problem 1. Selected P to L really quickly about 20 times. Car will select all gears but nose of car almost into garage door. R will select but even with revs up wont move and I dont want to shoot into garage. D,L 3 engage and car begins to inch forward. Seems like you guys were right. Hopefully not the £1500+ bill I was expecting.

ColDan1
Sunday 17th September 2006, 12:32
Many thanks for all the info guys. Spoke to the dealer this morning and he offered me a full refund on the car. Told him that I was more interested in a serviceable car. After quoting Sales of Good Act, i am now taking car to a trusted garage for full repair at no cost to me. Dandy. As for gearbox the oil is definately not cherry red more like coke brown no wonder its got problems. Hopefully in a day or two the car will be back running like a dream. Once again thanks for all the posts.

dreadly
Sunday 17th September 2006, 12:48
Many thanks for all the info guys. Spoke to the dealer this morning and he offered me a full refund on the car. Told him that I was more interested in a serviceable car. After quoting Sales of Good Act, i am now taking car to a trusted garage for full repair at no cost to me. Dandy. As for gearbox the oil is definately not cherry red more like coke brown no wonder its got problems. Hopefully in a day or two the car will be back running like a dream. Once again thanks for all the posts.

That's not a good colour :(

Take it for a thorough seing to ;) - Take heed of the 'stage 0' tuneup information on this site.