PDA

View Full Version : ABS /TRACS light stays on !!!!!

chrjen
Saturday 16th September 2006, 13:54
My simple question is, can I count 100% on the diagnosis codes the car reads out ????
My T5R says 3-1-3 = left rear abs sensor short circuit / broke...!
Since yesterday I have been reading all sorts of material on this subject, but it says nowhere, whether I can relay on this diagnostics, or if it is "just" a guideline.
My concern is of course, that I don't want to spend that kind of money for no reason.....
I have cleaned the sensor, It was VERY dirty...and VERY stock - so I guess it was the first time since 1995, this thing has been removed.

-any answer will be apriciated.

pzorb
Saturday 16th September 2006, 15:33
Well it must be upset for some reason. Reset it first and see if it comes back on.

If it were mine I'd whip both wheels off, get out a multimeter and see what the differences are between the readings of the left (broken?) and right (working?). No idea what to look for tho, just to find some kind of difference maybe continuity, voltage when on/off etc. Then you can at least start to decide if there's a problem.
Though as a disclaimer you may well short / upset something if you're not careful. I've never done this; just saying what I would do in your position.

That, or take the bulb out ;) - tracs isn't much good but I would miss the ABS.

chriskay
Saturday 16th September 2006, 16:32
I think it's not unusual for the system to throw a wheel sensor fault when in fact it's the ABS ECU at fault (& this is quite a common fault, due to dry joints). Wobbly Dave, where are you?
Cheers, Chris.

chrjen
Saturday 16th September 2006, 17:27
So what can I do to these dried joints ??

kimbaleeg
Saturday 16th September 2006, 20:03
hi mate had same problem when i bought the R had codes read at dealer and they told me (also my mate) when the code is for the rear wheel sensor its also usally in his experiance that its the abs ecu the rear sensors are connected and are replaced together. so i had them done and the ecu at said dealer and cost me £580ish fitted inc vat this was before i joind this forum though. apparentley someone does replacement ecu's on here cheaper than i paid sure if u do a seach itll come up hope this helps

chriskay
Saturday 16th September 2006, 22:51
You want to contact Volvotuning at Bromsgrove. They'll repair your ECU for about £150, with 12 months warranty.

chrjen
Sunday 17th September 2006, 07:41
But nobody here is telling me whether I can trust the diagnosis code read out from the car???? Is the system useless or ??

iGGy
Sunday 17th September 2006, 09:25
The ECU's are interpreting the signals based on a set of fault condition rules. Unfortunately, as it has been seen many times, the dry joint issue flags up the rear sensor error code. Whether the dry joints are actually part of this circuit I have no idea, but actual sensor in most cases is fine.

My code was the rear sensor, went straight for the ECU fix. No more errors.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th September 2006, 13:45
Sadly the codes can be a little confusing and it is a case of either sensors or control unit. Please see info below...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t224-abs-ecu-repair-service.html

samsplums
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 11:02
When I first got mine t'was puking codes everywhere. Contact cleaner and cotton bud on all sensors including ABS ECU and had no trouble since.

chrjen
Thursday 21st September 2006, 18:59
What is cotton bud ????

dicky b t5
Thursday 21st September 2006, 19:16
What is cotton bud ????

One of them Little Sticks with Cotton Wool on each end....

You use them to clean your Ears out with. :)

chrjen
Thursday 21st September 2006, 19:38
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT !!

yes of course....I thing I left my brains at work...

stuAWD
Friday 22nd September 2006, 18:53
Was getting ABS TRACS lights on occasionally, (every time I drove it) thought it was the ECU. looked into getting repair on ECU. Decided to let my mechanic take the ECU out, he was giving it a service anyway, then give me the ECU to post off for repair. Day before it went to mechanic, the speedo stopped working, & the ABS light came on without the TRACS light.
Mechanic read codes and it showed rear wheel sensor not functioning, mechanic replaced sensor, two days now and no ABS/TRACS lights coming on. If they start coming again I will let you know.

dicky b t5
Friday 22nd September 2006, 19:30
Was getting ABS TRACS lights on occasionally, (every time I drove it) thought it was the ECU. looked into getting repair on ECU. Decided to let my mechanic take the ECU out, he was giving it a service anyway, then give me the ECU to post off for repair. Day before it went to mechanic, the speedo stopped working, & the ABS light came on without the TRACS light.
Mechanic read codes and it showed rear wheel sensor not functioning, mechanic replaced sensor, two days now and no ABS/TRACS lights coming on. If they start coming again I will let you know.

Cheers Stu....Another Twist to the ABS/TRACS probs....??

Mine have started coming back on, Gonna do the big Soldering job tomoz..:Handshake

chrjen
Friday 22nd September 2006, 19:44
Yes, please do so, it would be very interesting to see if it was solved by actually replacing the sensor which the car says is the actual problem.

kindest Christian

chrjen
Friday 22nd September 2006, 19:46
Cheers Stu....Another Twist to the ABS/TRACS probs....??

Mine have started coming back on, Gonna do the big Soldering job tomoz..:Handshake

Please keep us posted as how it goes with the soldering

MIKESC70T5
Friday 22nd September 2006, 19:53
Don't know if it's the same problem, but whenever i start my engine the tracs and abs light stay on,and the seatbelt warning lights and speedo needle dont work.As soon as i wiggle the ignition key, hey presto everything works perfectly and the tracs and abs light also go out.

dicky b t5
Friday 22nd September 2006, 19:58
Don't know if it's the same problem, but whenever i start my engine the tracs and abs light stay on,and the seatbelt warning lights and speedo needle dont work.As soon as i wiggle the ignition key, hey presto everything works perfectly and the tracs and abs light also go out.

Mike, Hi mate, Sounds like you've got a prob with the Ig Barrel...Common Fault
so it is.. DB.

dicky b t5
Friday 22nd September 2006, 20:01
Please keep us posted as how it goes with the soldering

Chrjen...I know your struggling with yours at the mo, mate..

If mine works OK...I'm sure it will (Done abit of research).
Send me yours and i'll do it for you.

I'll keep you posted. Dicky.:Handshake

chrjen
Monday 25th September 2006, 18:06
Well it must be upset for some reason. Reset it first and see if it comes back on.

If it were mine I'd whip both wheels off, get out a multimeter and see what the differences are between the readings of the left (broken?) and right (working?). No idea what to look for tho, just to find some kind of difference maybe continuity, voltage when on/off etc. Then you can at least start to decide if there's a problem.
Though as a disclaimer you may well short / upset something if you're not careful. I've never done this; just saying what I would do in your position.

That, or take the bulb out ;) - tracs isn't much good but I would miss the ABS.

Out of pure curiosity, I took a voltmeter to check what the readout would say.... and YES the right hand side - which is okay stayed constant on 1,1 K Ohm....opposit the left hand side which said 45,6 M ohm and swinging +/- 4 M ohm. So something is wrong with the left abs sensor. I'll pick one up tomorrow, and change the bugger the upcoming weekend

stuAWD
Monday 25th September 2006, 19:04
Out of pure curiosity, I took a voltmeter to check what the readout would say.... and YES the right hand side - which is okay stayed constant on 1,1 K Ohm....opposit the left hand side which said 45,6 M ohm and swinging +/- 4 M ohm. So something is wrong with the left abs sensor. I'll pick one up tomorrow, and change the bugger the upcoming weekend
Hope it works out. Keep us all posted, thats very interesting.

stuAWD
Thursday 28th September 2006, 13:41
Bu**er, Damn, Bo**ocks, Ba***rd things are back on.
Looks like i'll be putting it in the mail to VT.

chrjen
Saturday 30th September 2006, 09:05
YES, YES ,YES.
I have just changed the left rear abs sensor, and guess what.....the lights are out, both the abs and tracs.

So my advice would be, before sending the ecu anywhere, check the resistance-reading if you have got a voltmeter. Mine showed clearly that something was wrong with the sensor.

And of course remember to clear the codes in the diagnosis-thing.

My the way, it took me 1½ hour from start to finish, and it was actually a straight forward job.

I will go out and floor my T5R without smoking the tires to death....

Have a nice weekend everyone.

richeeroo
Saturday 30th September 2006, 09:29
Ok can i add to this, i get the ABS/ Tracs light come on more frequently lately on all sorts of occasions, if i turn the engine off and on again the lights go out nine out of ten times ! Is this the same problem and if so why does switching off and on cancel the lights.Does it reset them maybe ?
Any help would be great, cheers, Rich

dicky b t5
Saturday 30th September 2006, 09:52
YES, YES ,YES.
I have just changed the left rear abs sensor, and guess what.....the lights are out, both the abs and tracs.

So my advice would be, before sending the ecu anywhere, check the resistance-reading if you have got a voltmeter. Mine showed clearly that something was wrong with the sensor.

And of course remember to clear the codes in the diagnosis-thing.

My the way, it took me 1½ hour from start to finish, and it was actually a straight forward job.

I will go out and floor my T5R without smoking the tires to death....

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Nice one Chrjen mate......All sorted in the end...lol Nice result.

ATB. Dicky.:funkybana

chriskay
Saturday 30th September 2006, 12:34
Ok can i add to this, i get the ABS/ Tracs light come on more frequently lately on all sorts of occasions, if i turn the engine off and on again the lights go out nine out of ten times ! Is this the same problem and if so why does switching off and on cancel the lights.Does it reset them maybe ?
Any help would be great, cheers, Rich

Exactly the same as mine was. Once they're on, they stay on. Switching off & on again will put them out if the fault has disappeared, so this will happen if the fault is intermittent. The fault code stored was something like "power supply failure to ABS unit". Mine was definitely related to under-bonnet temperature; if it was hot under there, an on/off wouldn't clear it, if it was cooler, it would. Probably dry joints in the ABS ECU. Had mine repaired (try VT) & problem gone.
Cheers, Chris.