PDA

View Full Version : Paintworks a mess ...

st1t5
Saturday 16th September 2006, 12:55
I gave my lovely black C70 a t-cut and wax last month and now the paint work is a disaster ..... its really bad, when the sun is shining on it you can see every single swirl mark on the car, and its all over it, and when the sun is not shining on it the paint work is dull and cloudy, this morning i gave it a waxing with autoglm and the shine came up ok for about 5 mins then it turned back to being cloudy again, iv just came back from a valeters and he's kinda surprised aswell, he reckons its gonna need a compound cut then re-waxed to get it back to normal, i done the girlfriends Megane cab aswell and its just as bad, strange thing is that when the job was done last month it was excellent, it just seems to be over the month its gotten really bad ...

Im 100% certain the problem sits at the door of the t-cut, iv been waxing my cars for years and never had this before, then i decide to t-cut both our cars and suddenly both cars are a real mess .......... not impressed i dont mind saying.

Anybody else experianced this before after a t-cut ???

bubba_1986
Saturday 16th September 2006, 13:24
Yes mate indeed, i too have a c70 in black

After i T-cut a part of it cos was very dull it then appeared to be like a greyish dull ( If tht makes any sense )

I used autoglym super resin polish to bring it back up , though this stuff aint the best

I would suggest you contact wobbly if you concerned about it as he is a expert at polishing cars or vist http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10623&highlight=wash+car

Hope this helps a bit

T-5ones
Saturday 16th September 2006, 14:08
If you have a read up and get to understand the art of detailing, all will become clear. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk Richard really knows his stuff and has some very usefull info.

st1t5
Saturday 16th September 2006, 16:59
According to the site my swirl marks and cloudyness must have happened during the washing process, but i use the 2 bucket method and a wool mit as i always have done and iv not had any problems in the past .... the swirl marks are most definetly from the t-cutting process, but why now after a month are they showing up now and not straight away ? ... it looked lovely when done.

blackwolf t5
Saturday 16th September 2006, 20:35
possibly a particular type of dust or chemical its been exposed to where have you been parking it ?

T-5ones
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:42
Send Rich an e-mail as he is very nice and very helpful.

I'm not qualified to be quoted but I think there is a certain ammount of filling that the t-cutting process does and after a certain time this fine paste comes out of the scratches or gets lighter in colour and can be seen. (IMO!)

blackwolf t5
Saturday 16th September 2006, 21:57
Sorry to repeat myself but where & in what conditions have you been parking.

st1t5
Sunday 17th September 2006, 10:47
While im offshore in Aberdeen the C70 is parked in a secure parking area, although the parking area is dusty as its not tarred so when i get back and collect the car its usually got alot of dust on it, however i must add that im very careful when i get back home and wash it that i give the car plenty of rinsing with the hose before i start the washing to get all the dust off the car as not to mark the paintwork ...... i intitially thought myself that this maybe is the cause but as the same thing has happened to the girlfriends Megane and it was at home in Glasgow then this cannot be the case ..... :(

I'll give Rich an email aswell ;)

SaffronC70
Sunday 17th September 2006, 13:40
You can't T-cut our paint, as there is a coat of laquer, as far as I know.

Could try coloured wax to help hide the swirls.

Else, give it a good gentle mopping to bring out the marks.

HTH

Chris

st1t5
Monday 18th September 2006, 08:52
Got a nice quick reply back from Richard :) ..... dont think i'll be t-cutting again.

Hi Roddy,

the problem you are experiencing is not uncommon. What the bodyshop didn't tell you is that what you have essentially been doing is compounding your car by hand - T-Cut is an aggressive, poor quality compound that frequently inflicts more damage than it repairs. The reason that it looked good to start with, then deteriorated subsequently, is that it also contains fillers, which are washed away when paint isn't sealed properly. We can certainly help you solve the problem (providing you have enough paint left to work safely - we will measure this using a digital paint gauge before doing any work). What both cars will need is a light to moderate compounding session by machine, followed by a finishing polish to restore the gloss to better than new, followed by a decent sealant/wax application to lock in the finish and protect it. To give the best possible estimate we really need to examine the cars, but as a ball park figure both are likely to require around 10-12 hours work to get back to as near to new condition as possible. We charge £20 an hour, so each car will cost £200-£240. We do out detailing work from Clark's house in Stonehaven (20 mins south of Aberdeen), as he has a double garage with plenty of room to work (failing that we do travel to do jobs, but then require a dry, spacious place to work, and travelling expenses, which we charge at £0.30 per mile after the first 100 miles).

Jaseb77
Monday 18th September 2006, 10:52
Roddy,

thats a nightmare, mate as yours was very clean and shiny.

I'm aways sceptical about T-cut. It seems a trick for dull paint for tarting it up for selling.

I have only ever used Autoglym Paint renovator, in very small areas. which seems fine

st1t5
Monday 18th September 2006, 12:01
Yeah Jase, a costly mistake as the girlfriends lovely Megane is a mess aswell .... i have always had the cars beautiful and one wipe of a cloth and its ruined.

I have found what seems like a good valeter about a mile from the house, i have to go back today to speak to the boss and show him the car, also to gauge if he know's his stuff, dont know prices yet but find that out when i get there,

I would'nt mind using Richard tbh but the distance is a bit of a pain as he is based just outside Aberdeen, im happy to pay £200 if he gets my car looking like new, although when i go offshore my car is in Aberdeen anyway, maybe i could get the car done the day before i get back off the rig but then i have the problems of how he gets the car while im on the rig .... plus then there is the trust as do i let somebody iv never met pick up my car ... lol .. he does travel and his pence per mile is fine, but who can say its not gonna be raining when he gets to mine and my garage is not big enough to clean a car in .... but iv not ruled it out :)

Murphy
Monday 18th September 2006, 12:28
This guy is based in Scotland. A car cleaning legend!

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Polished Bliss
PO BOX 18531
Inverurie
AB51 0ZQ
United Kingdom

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th September 2006, 13:23
I have the knowledge and the tools now to restore the paint. I've removed all the swirls on my C70.

I dare say Richard will be more than capable of achieving a great result with your car.

I have been experimenting and found which polish works best with Volvo clearcoat.
http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/july_2006_CYC.htm

This attempt was 1/2 way through my own learning process.

Menzerna IP got rid of the majority of the defects - however I did find that only the Menz powergloss seemed to be capable of getting the deeper defects out. Ask those who were at trax about the depth/wetness I achieved on my Silver one - very pleased even if I do say so myself.

You do need a porter-cable to do the work though.

I could bring all my gear to the next scots meeting - and given that many hands make light work we could at least get the wash and clay done in double quick time. Sadly I only have 1 polishing machine so that would take approx 5 -6 hrs work to complete.

bubba_1986
Monday 18th September 2006, 22:44
So does that mean you bring the PC up on 15th oct then

:biggrin: ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 03:22
Aye! That I will. I am up on this Thursday for a few days holiday. I am coming up with Adam - so I am not certain I can bring all my kit with me, as I have to return on the train.

bubba_1986
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 17:54
Aye! That I will. I am up on this Thursday for a few days holiday. I am coming up with Adam - so I am not certain I can bring all my kit with me, as I have to return on the train.

No not this weekend you donkey, on 15th Oct lol :wink:

Ill be at the open day on saturday anyhoo, but got to leave early

:)

st1t5
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 10:09
Well the C70 has went into the valeters this morning to get done, iv told the chap to take as long as it take's, he seems to know his stuff but he is giving me no promises that it will come up mint or for how long :( ... so fingers crossed.

He has said i could not have picked the worst colour of car to make a mess off ... lol

I could bring all my gear to the next scots meeting - and given that many hands make light work we could at least get the wash and clay done in double quick time. Sadly I only have 1 polishing machine so that would take approx 5 -6 hrs work to complete.

Big thanks for the kind offer Dave .... much appriciated ;) ....