PDA

View Full Version : AC Condenser

djtaylor
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 20:12
Hi, I need to change my AC condenser in my 850.

Are there any particular gotcha's that I should be aware of? It looks to me like it's removal of the fan, tip back the radiator and out it comes.

How long should it take (assuming it goes to plan?!) :)

Cheers
David.

iGGy
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 23:20
I think you might struggle with one of the fittings on the accumulator. As for taking the condenser out, dropping it down would probably be a better way to get it out. Undo the four bolts (two top ones are interesting to get at) from the front of the car and it should slide down.

djtaylor
Thursday 14th September 2006, 07:06
Ok thanks. What's the issue with the connection to the accumulator? Lack of room, tooling?

David.

iGGy
Thursday 14th September 2006, 08:24
I think there's one of the quick fit compression type of fixings that you need to get undone. Usually requires a special release tool.

djtaylor
Thursday 14th September 2006, 13:22
I did read that a bit of plastic like that off a WD40 cap with the disc part cut off and then wrapped around the pipe and pushed down can be used to disengage but i've decided to hand the job off.

I took it to a place recommended by the company supplying the condenser and they quoted me 70 quid for labour (2 hours 10 minutes as per Autodata) plus seals and 70 quid for the de-gas/re-gas which is the same as I'd have paid for the chap to come to my house to do those jobs.

On the basis that one screwed up seal on my part will end up with the gassing jobs again which would negate any labour saving, someone who does it every day can have the job. :)

I don't mind handing over jobs when there's no guaranteed return on my time and a possible negative effect on my wallet.

David.

iGGy
Thursday 14th September 2006, 13:49
A wise approach. The same one I'll be taking soon when it comes to getting the accumulator replaced.