PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:06
Do we have the quoted reliability /max power figures for each of the transmissions?

How much torque/bhp can each system take?

Manual - M56 and M56H (is that the one with the LSD in it?)
Auto - Aisin Warner 50 42
Geartronic?

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:13
I belive them to be.

M56 (Manual without LSD) 500hp +

M59 (Manual with LSD) up to 360hp

Aisin Warner 50 42 (Auto) up to 320hp

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:16
Substantiated from where?

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:20
Substantiated from where?

General research

lance
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:51
Ive heard 400 bhp + for the manual,
The latest R in geartronic form has 50nm less torque than the manual so it must be a much weaker box!

Ive just booked mine in for a new clutch at 143k (£350), most of the time its fine and I reckon I could get another 10 k out of it if I avoid power launching and steep hill starts! Ive known other cars clutchs to go around 30-100k so Im very happy with the strength and life of a T5 clutch!

Remember folks the average car is dead and ready for the scrap yard after 130k and 11 years, ( Just run in for a T5)

DaveS60D5
Friday 8th April 2005, 13:54
I belive them to be.

M56 (Manual without LSD) 500hp +

M59 (Manual with LSD) up to 360hp

Aisin Warner 50 42 (Auto) up to 320hp

Fountain of knowledge ! :eye-poppi :hail:

Take it mine is the M59 (S70R box has a LSD doesn't it?)....?

M44K TS
Friday 8th April 2005, 17:55
500bhp seems alot for standard transmission, i'd be a bit dubious about putting that through

mikej
Friday 8th April 2005, 18:29
Lance,
i think my clutch may be responsible for the strange delivery of power had the car rica,d last month absolutely stunning performance , now it just isn,t right i think i might be looking for an air leak that i havn,t got what symtoms have you got ?
mike.........
p.s sorry for going off gearbox thread

lance
Friday 8th April 2005, 21:16
Lance,
i think my clutch may be responsible for the strange delivery of power had the car rica,d last month absolutely stunning performance , now it just isn,t right i think i might be looking for an air leak that i havn,t got what symtoms have you got ?
mike.........
p.s sorry for going off gearbox thread

Hi Mike , try doing a steep hill start or fast lunch by loading 2000 rpm through your clutch at bitting point and gun it as fast as you can if by second gear it feels like you are still in first and you can feel your clutch slipping and it stinks nasty, your clutch will be in a similar condition to mine!
I have done it twice both times drag racing but done a further 10k miles in between.
The clutch is now very high up and is being replaced next friday! I will get some pics and post them!

I think VT should be a first call!
lack of service ie worn dizi cap knackerd ht lead , airleaks, crap fuel even an old fuel filter or poor fuel could cause a drop in performance.

Might be worth plumbing a boost gauge in to see what boost you are running though!

mikej
Friday 8th April 2005, 21:54
Lance thanks for reply dizzy,leads,rotor all new and all Bosch (i work for them) shell opti and new fuel & air filter also fitted.I dont know if your car is chipped ? already spoken to VT and the boys suggested air leak , which i cannot find for the life of me although i suspect this is the main cause for drop in performance with most people .Plugged a boost gauge in to monitor what was going on , listen to this : car still pulls and still shifts much better than it did prior to the 310 rica , after install power came in with a serious kick all gears throughout rev range basically once you planted your foot.Now 1st.2nd,3rd power delivery is gradual the engine note rises,drops straight away and then gradually increases again this is also shown on boost gauge ie plant your foot boost straight to 1.2 bar down to approx 0.5 and then back to 1.2 again power is gradual but still there.If i tried a 2k launch i suspect it would be as quick of the mark as a milk float but i,ll try it and see what happens to me it has all the symtoms of a slipping clutch even the rev counter is fluctuating ,can the clutch be adjusted?has anyone else with upgrade experienced similar problems? :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: