PDA

View Full Version : Poly Bush will not sit, Please Help!!

Montana
Sunday 10th September 2006, 19:09
Hi Folks,

I've got a problem trying to get the second half of the poly bush to sit in place. I've tried G-Clamping it and forcing it in with plenty of lube but nothing.

Could someone give me some help as to how they overcame this problem them had they experianced it.

Any hints and tips are apprecieted

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/nealjhalla/Volvo%20Upgrade%20Pics/PolyBush.jpg

neevo
Sunday 10th September 2006, 19:14
I was a bit naughty, I filed the edge down to a greater angle such that it could just start biting and then used a flat blade screwdriver blade in the channels to force the edge under having gotten the bottom edges slightly toed in and clamping it tight. ie brute force & ignorance!

BTW I filed the bush using a nearby brick wall - worked perfectly - initially tried using a stanley knife but the bush just bent under teh blade. Bricks rule ;)

neevo
Sunday 10th September 2006, 19:18
Oh yeah, dont bother with the steel inner just yet, and when you do feed it in from the lefthand side per your photo, the right hand bush will tend to fall out at this stage but can be easily fitted back in afterwards. I left the rh bush in for something for the clamp to bite on whilst fitting the lh bush.
So the order was:
rh bush,
lh bush,
remove rh bush
fit steel inner,
fit rh bush

Montana
Monday 11th September 2006, 23:49
Neevo,

Got the B*stard Poly bushes to fit after a few cuts and blisters! Talk about trying to push an elephant through a mouse hole!!

I tried your brick wall method and it was spot on! cheers for that tip.

Took her for a spin after, didn't notice much difference until I came to a set of traffic lights and floored her. Loved the sound of the engine under hard acceleration, sounded amazing! Did'nt notice any motorway "droning" either, but guess its still early days.

Best £20 mod i've spent!

Cheers

t5owner
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 14:30
Must admit when i fitted mine i had just about given up

Then as others have done i filed/cut off the edge to give a steeper inclination and resorted to a g-clamp to squeeze it in with a wooden block against the other part

Cheers

stuart

neevo
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 17:24
Must admit when i fitted mine i had just about given up

Then as others have done i filed/cut off the edge to give a steeper inclination and resorted to a g-clamp to squeeze it in with a wooden block against the other part

Cheers

stuart

Yep nearly gave up myself, if I hadnt cut the old one out I'd have put it back! It seems that the technique for fitting them can best be summed up as:

Lots of brute force and ignorance :)

wootty
Friday 15th September 2006, 21:39
i was lucky as i had a length of m8 studding with 2 big washers and squeezed the whole lot home.its the centre sleeve that seemed a bast to stay put.

Babybadger
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 11:45
Have heard that if you freeze the bushes so they contract and try and heat the arm up gently with warm water or something. It should go in easier then. I used the 2 large washers and nut and bolt method, cost 80p from a hardware store , no problems then. Remember to check the other bush at the bulkhead end, these can split as well.

richeeroo
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 12:24
This is probably a stupid question but do you support the engine from underneath while you take out the old mount ?

neevo
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 12:27
This is probably a stupid question but do you support the engine from underneath while you take out the old mount ?

No, the engine stays put throughout without the need for support.

arbee
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 20:55
I had a real 'mare with this too, used the studding/washer/nub method and levered it in with a screw driver tip whilst it was under pressure. A real bitch of a job!

mostin58
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 21:01
i was lucky as i had a length of m8 studding with 2 big washers and squeezed the whole lot home.its the centre sleeve that seemed a bast to stay put.

I did the same, after a hour and half of struggling to get second half in.

dicky b t5
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 21:06
So....Are they Really worth all the aggro then boys.....??:B_steerin

neevo
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 21:12

Yes :D

wootty
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 21:31
as :deal: above

T5ER
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 21:47
No LOL i am being serious aswell,this has been covered many times b4,i have spoken to 3 Volvo master techs and Volvo tech teachers,apparently it is not a good idea to replace the bush with a poly version as the impact bracket does not then do the same job as it does with a rubber bush in as the poly bush stiffens the whole thing up and then creates problems with it flexing if you have a front end smash

arbee
Thursday 21st September 2006, 06:25

only coz mine was already shot - so had no choice lol - still need to do the one at the bulkhead end tho - grrrr!

rodders850T5
Thursday 28th September 2006, 20:41
Hi mate i used a jubilee clip...tighten it up and and it slids in very easy...once about 3mm in release clip and push...it was a doddle...
hope this helps