PDA

View Full Version : AP front brake upgrade

ClarkV70R
Sunday 10th September 2006, 11:52
looking tp upgrade to the AP front Brake setup but cant afford to buy a new Kit so was thinking of sourcing parts individually over a period of time as and when. Does anyone know the individual part numbers etc. for the components and any feedback with anyone who has opted for the AP kit would be appreciated. I have a P1 V70R.
PS. i think the calipers are CP5200 but not sure on the Discs, bells, mounting brackets, pad etc..

Cheers in advance, JC :)

BlackBeast
Sunday 10th September 2006, 12:39
Hi mate, search for the username Sholtby, he had a used set for sale, im sure he still has them. Try contacting him via pm.

Just noticed in your little mod list there, that you already have Wilwwod BBKs, why do you want to get the APs?

Tim Williams
Sunday 10th September 2006, 12:47
For Ferodo DS2500 pad FRP216H , discs are CP3580-295G4 for groved only. If you get secondhand calipers it may be worth resealing them , if you look on AP Racings web site they list the discs and pads.

ClarkV70R
Sunday 10th September 2006, 17:25
Thanks for the part numbers Tim. There is a set of calipers on Ebay CP5200 which would be a start. Can you get the Mounting brackets off the shelf and all fixings? Steve, The Wilwood kit is the only mod iv'e done that has been a waste of money as stock brakes are just as good and quieter. In retrospect, had I known and has a crystal ball, I would have saved a few more quid and got the AP kit in the first place. The Wilwood setup looks nice though, but thats about it, lot of money for cosmetic upgrade ;-)

BlackBeast
Sunday 10th September 2006, 17:33
Before you get the AP stuff, do a search on both here and VOC and see what people think about them. I think the prices of the discs/rotors put a lot of people off aswell as how long they last.

ClarkV70R
Sunday 10th September 2006, 17:47
just PM'd Sholtby to get some gen on them. Must be a reason he is getting shot of his kit. Cheers, Jeff

iGGy
Sunday 10th September 2006, 17:56
He sold the car and took all of the good bits off beforehand.

ClarkV70R
Sunday 10th September 2006, 18:09
He sold the car and took all of the good bits off beforehand.

Good point! If the kits in good nick, I may be interested if the price is right and he does credit. lol :biggrin:

sholtby
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:08
You can read my thoughts on the AP brake kit in an ad I placed on the VOC site here..

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23323

Just to clarify I did sell my car and the brake kit is now in the loft.
I'll be honest with you I think the AP kit is poor value for money. For normal road driving the brakes dont seem to have much more bite than standard. The only time I noticed any improvement is when braking hard from over 100 mph as there was no fade. I'd only recommend this kit to someone doing track days or who drives suicidely fast on the road, which may include a few people here.
The disc wear rate is alarming if you stick to APs advice and change when they wear from 28mm to 27mm. At nearly 20k miles my disks are 25.5mm thick. To be honest though they only look about 1/2 worn. The brake pad friction material is 1/2 the thickness it was. So if you stick to APs advice the discs will last around 10k miles but my view is they could last upto 40k miles. I wouldnt let the pads get much more than 1/2 worn though as they may come loose in the callipers when the discs get thin. There are other manufacturers who sell replacement discs for around £300 inc. AP discs are well over £400 I think per pair. Performance pads are cheaper for the AP callipers than the standard Volvo callipers at around £90 for ds2500 pads.
The general quality of the AP components is very good.
Simon

sholtby
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:18
I'm driving a gt4 these days..

Redbrick
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:35
Don't bother with AP's- the cost of consumables is crazy!

I have 285 standard discs and Volvo pads on my D5- honestly I've driven it hard and the performance is just as good as the AP's- good bite and little fade.

Decent brake fluid along with correctly working calipers, discs and pads and a proper suspension set up are the receipe- not coilovers, 4 pots, 325 discs and track pads! :troutslap They do look good though ;)

sholtby
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:50
We're in the strange position of me having something that I will sell you but I'd strongly recommend that you dont buy it!
Haven't bumped into you for a while Redbrick! A mate used to have an S60 2.0t and his brakes were fine. I think the phase 2 cars have better brakes than say an 850. Maybe more servo assistance if the discs are the same size.

Simon

Redbrick
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:59
Hi Simon.

Yeah sorry I'm aware your trying to sell yours, I'll give myself a :troutslap.

I'd agree phase 2 brakes are 50 squillion times better than the 850 variety. I'm looking for mods to mine and can't see anything I need to do, the brakes are great, the suspension is superb, the HID's are adequate, the sounds are better than my front room and the leathers better than my sofa! lol

abdul
Sunday 10th September 2006, 22:00
a honest opinion from sholtby well done

siamblue
Sunday 10th September 2006, 22:20
I am very surprised at the brakes on my R, checked the car on the MoT brake rollers the other day, and it was reading 4.2 and 4.8, instant bite too when you brake,

Gary

ClarkV70R
Monday 11th September 2006, 16:53
Thanks for the advice, sounds like most Brake upgrades are not value for money i.e. don't deliver what is expected, even the higher priced kitys such as AP! This has thrown a spanner in the workings of my quest to acheive a decent set of stoppers.
Anyone had experience, or is currently running with the Porsche caliper/disc upgrade (993 i think) for these volvos?

BlackBeast
Monday 11th September 2006, 17:05
For experience you will have to ask over on VolvoSpeed, im currently taking my time building up my kit for the 993tt setup. Or, you could ask siamblue about his 996/boxter setup, he hasnt fitted his either yet.

Engineer
Monday 11th September 2006, 18:24
This site is worth a read with reference to ABS. :)

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_abs_bigbrakekits.shtml

volvolised
Monday 11th September 2006, 21:03
[QUOTE=Engineer]This site is worth a read with reference to ABS. :)

Very interesting:Handshake , alot of stuff i would never had thought of, that said i looked at the recommended big brake setup for my 855 it was 332mm rotors with 4 pot calipers which is the same as the 993TT big brake kit i have fitted, so hopefully i have been lucky and this suits my cars abs etc:)

dougt5r
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 05:07
[QUOTE=Engineer]This site is worth a read with reference to ABS. :)

Very interesting:Handshake , alot of stuff i would never had thought of, that said i looked at the recommended big brake setup for my 855 it was 332mm rotors with 4 pot calipers which is the same as the 993TT big brake kit i have fitted, so hopefully i have been lucky and this suits my cars abs etc:)

Stoptechs and 993TT calipers are within 2mm of each other for piston sizes.

As someone drives daily a car with stoptechs and a car with 993tt/s60r discs combo, you can't really tell a difference for 99.99% of the driving all of us do.

dreadly
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 11:20
[quote=Engineer]This site is worth a read with reference to ABS. :)

I am trying to get hold of some 993TT calipers, they are like hens teeth...
Where can I get them?
Where do I get bigger disks for the S60 to suite these calipers and a spacer block?

siamblue
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 11:45
Probably in the States, but they are expensive and heavy.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 12:52
Probably in the States, but they are expensive and heavy.

Got my bracket from the states, isnt that heavy. The only heavy parts are the discs.

Dreadly, you do realise that with an S60 you dont need the 993TT caliper, just get the whole S60R setup front and rear.

dreadly
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 13:22
Got my bracket from the states, isnt that heavy. The only heavy parts are the discs.

Dreadly, you do realise that with an S60 you dont need the 993TT caliper, just get the whole S60R setup front and rear.

Bugger, why did nobody tell me that sooner?

Will have to pop round my local vovlo dealers tonight with a jack, spanner and torch :)

M a r c
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:06
How about these? 330mm 4-pot

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7369/330brakekit4potce1.jpg

thunderace
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:10
How about these? 330mm 4-pot

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7369/330brakekit4potce1.jpg

floaters?

very smart