PDA

View Full Version : Eagle F1

KARL
Sunday 10th September 2006, 00:49
Hi all

Just put some new boots on the old girl , V70 R AWD.

Replaced the old 215 / 45 pilot sport with 225/45 Eagle F1`s (new gd3).

I hate the look of the profile on the rim , as the tyre looks like a big doughnut.

Its ok to drive on (no pilot sport though) and is very quiet as mentioned by

some one else on here. I hope I get use to the look , as this Is day one of

ownership.

Does Any body have these tyres currently !

:icon_soap

siamblue
Sunday 10th September 2006, 01:11
Hi all

Just put some new boots on the old girl , V70 R AWD.

Replaced the old 215 / 45 pilot sport with 225/45 Eagle F1`s (new gd3).

I hate the look of the profile on the rim , as the tyre looks like a big doughnut.

Its ok to drive on (no pilot sport though) and is very quiet as mentioned by

some one else on here. I hope I get use to the look , as this Is day one of

ownership.

Does Any body have these tyres currently !

:icon_soap

Hi Mate, why on earth did you go 225? 215 is enough, i am actually going to go 205's when i fit my comets on the R, you know you can't wheelspin these cars, hence why i am going smaller, admitidly i won't have the same tread of the road, but standard states 205 anyway,

Gary,

have you got any pics of them?

Gavton
Sunday 10th September 2006, 08:25
Dont forget by changing the tyres profile (height) that the gearing will be screwed up. This not only affects your economy but also the way the car will accelerate and like mentioned earlier ther speedo will be out.

A note to all, when going for different trye sizes ensure the rolling circumfirence is the same as the manufacturer stated!

On another note, if the tryes are not as stated, your insurance needs to be informed! sorry to bring all the bad news. :sorry:

kimbaleeg
Sunday 10th September 2006, 09:57
I`m with Siam here why go wider??. My R AWD has 215`s but Wifes C70 T% has 225`s as only 2WD. You may also have problems with them catching/rubbing bodywork on full lock or have you put spacers in??. Also should you not have dropped to 40% profile?? That would have made them look the same from the side and also not screwed up your speedo!!

Also I ran F1`s on mine for ages and they are absolutly superb in wet or dry.
hi mate no need to drop profile 45 is the rigth one on 17s hes only gone wider as for your wifes c70 is it a newer model than your R cause standard on my R is 205s but my 2001 s80 had 225s as standard on 17s. some dip witted person put 50s on my R so when i need new tyres i going to 45s

S70T5Chris
Sunday 10th September 2006, 10:38
I used Eagle F1's for a couple of years. Great amount of grip, but I found they didn't last 5 minutes. So I've now changed over to Khumo's and found them to have just as much grip and they seem to be lasting much longer.

dreadly
Sunday 10th September 2006, 12:31
Dont forget by changing the tyres profile (height) that the gearing will be screwed up. This not only affects your economy but also the way the car will accelerate and like mentioned earlier ther speedo will be out.

A note to all, when going for different trye sizes ensure the rolling circumfirence is the same as the manufacturer stated!

On another note, if the tryes are not as stated, your insurance needs to be informed! sorry to bring all the bad news. :sorry:

The rolling circumference difference will be so negligible it will make sod all difference, the calculations where done on the old cavalier GSI board years ago, it basically made no difference, especially given the inaccuracy of car Speedo’s (check with a GPS).

The insurance companies don't usually care either, as long as you don't change the wheels, most wheels are designed to take a variety of sizes, and so are still within manufacturers limits.

Redbrick
Sunday 10th September 2006, 12:45
I wish people would check this out before replying. Profile has a relationship to width! :cussing:

Karl, please check this out:http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Nuff said.

mat562be
Sunday 10th September 2006, 16:39
Used GSD3 Eagle F1s for the last couple of years on my V70 T5. 225/45 17s. Apart from they rub a bit on full lock (They seem to be marginally wider in track than a lot of other 225s) couldn't be happier. Good grip in the wet, with a nice neutral breakaway. Wear rates I've found to be OK; got 14000 out of a set of fronts before they were completely Yul Brinnered. Rears still going strong after 20000 with about 4 mm left.

Run all mine at 36 psi, as an aside, and found the wear pattern on the fronts to be bang on neutral. A mate ran his C70 on 30psi, and the edges wore away to nowt, with the centre of the tread still very tready.

Cracking tyre, and would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone; at least on a V70.

kimbaleeg
Sunday 10th September 2006, 17:08
hi mate i just thought old or new might make a difference obviously not though must be to do with chassis and suspension from factory then

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 11th September 2006, 12:32
Have the GS3s on mine and have been through 2 sets of fronts in a little over 2 years. Excellent wear and grip. Recomended:)

nez
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 12:58
The Eagle F1's come in an XL, extra load type. They say they are for the larger/heavier cars and are harder wearing.
They are around £25 more a tyre, anyone tried these and are they any good.