PDA

View Full Version : Prep & Painting my Konis

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th September 2006, 17:30
This is what ive been up to over the weekend. Konis use the worst painting procedure and paint known to man. So yesterday i started to prep them up. The dremel had to work overtime to get all the rust off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/blackbeast/Volvo/DSC00849.jpg

pzorb
Saturday 9th September 2006, 18:01
Now there's someone with spare time! You leaving them white?

arbee
Saturday 9th September 2006, 18:15
white! thought yours was a 'working car' :)

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th September 2006, 18:22
LOL Thats just the primer. Not sure what colour I shall put on there yet. Either yellow or gray, at least thats the colours i think i have that are in the shed.

sholtby
Sunday 10th September 2006, 21:36
I didnt think there was much rust at all on the struts when I posted them to you? I wax oiled them before I fitted them to my car. They do look terrible in that picture but if you look closely it isnt rust its muck that has stuck to the wax oil and some underseal. I should have cleaned them up really before I sent them to you but I didnt think you would be painting them and that the wax oil was best left on. The shocks were great when fitted to my old car so you shouldnt have any problems with their performance.

Simon

iGGy
Sunday 10th September 2006, 22:12
Does look more like dirt than rust. Still, a brave man to attack them with just a Dremel :hail:

BlackBeast
Sunday 10th September 2006, 22:39
I didnt think there was much rust at all on the struts when I posted them to you? I wax oiled them before I fitted them to my car. They do look terrible in that picture but if you look closely it isnt rust its muck that has stuck to the wax oil and some underseal. I should have cleaned them up really before I sent them to you but I didnt think you would be painting them and that the wax oil was best left on. The shocks were great when fitted to my old car so you shouldnt have any problems with their performance.

Simon

Hi Simon, thats what that stuff is lol, i knew it couldnt just be road grime lol. There wasnt that much rust that you could see, more bubbling than anything, so i attacked the lot with the dremel, has taken ages to get them ready for the primer stage.

This wasnt meant as an attack on you, just thought id make that 100% clear. I just wanted them to look as new as possible before fitting.

elliot
Monday 11th September 2006, 02:58
Good job, dark grey would look nice and smart ;).

BlackBeast
Monday 11th September 2006, 03:49
Good job, dark grey would look nice and smart ;).

Im saving that colour for something that can be seen a little more ;)

BlackBeast
Monday 11th September 2006, 17:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/blackbeast/Volvo/DSC00850.jpg

Almost ready for the actual painting stage. Got to wait until tomorrow for them to properly dry, then lightly sand the primer down on 3 of them, give them all a wash, a couple of coats of Fiat broom yellow, and then a couple of coats of clear lacquer. That should seal them up nicely.