PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5 - Auto or Manual

lovemyt5
Saturday 9th September 2006, 13:35
Hi

Can anyone tell me how many forward gears 02/03 s60 d5 auto have?

Also would be interested to know if anyone has an auto and have had that rica'd and how the auto performs after the re map (ie does it get confused or hold the gears)

thanks

volvotuning
Saturday 9th September 2006, 13:48
Hi

Can anyone tell me how many forward gears 02/03 s60 d5 auto have?

Also would be interested to know if anyone has an auto and have had that rica'd and how the auto performs after the re map (ie does it get confused or hold the gears)

thanks

My father has had 2 V70 D5 autos now (geartronics) and both have been RICA'd and both without any problems. The auto box is very good and doesn't get confused at all. The perfomance is great!

Adam.

kimbaleeg
Saturday 9th September 2006, 18:37
hi mate had both manual and auto d5 s80s and found both brill auto is 5 speed box so tis personal preference really mpg is about the same on both although manual is slightley better and slightley faster 0-60 for a diesel both pritty quick would deffo recomend either if you need fuel econemy. also had both chipped to 190bhp (163bhp standard in s80) very quick off the mark but not the same as t5 lol. if you thinking ov an s60 try and get the 185bhp model think there pritty rare but have seen a couple got to be quick

Serdar-S60T5
Monday 11th September 2006, 12:38
hi, you should definitely go for the manual version if you can mate. especially if you're planning to mod it...

volvotuning
Monday 11th September 2006, 13:09
hi, you should definitely go for the manual version if you can mate. especially if you're planning to mod it...

The D5 is great in auto, even when modified. Besides, other than an ECU upgrade for engine performance, there isn't really a lot else to do so the auto is fine.

Adam.

dreadly
Monday 11th September 2006, 18:54
My T5 Geartronic is hardly any slower than a manual, ask the other guys from the Bournemouth meet, more importantly it's super smooth.
Regarding modding, I have been worried about the auto, probably why I have left it standard so far.
I should really visit Adam soon though, I'm getting a little bored with standard now :)
I'm hoping it will take the 310Bhp upgrade ok? - However I need to get the damn brakes sorted first so I have decided firstly to order new standard disks and then look into caliper upgrades.
Followed by some race spec Dot4 fluid.

Another thing to note with Geartronic, It's actually a remarkably good system when you have learned how to use it properly.

S60D5
Monday 11th September 2006, 19:07
My T5 Geartronic is hardly any slower than a manual, ask the other guys from the Bournemouth meet, more importantly it's super smooth.
Regarding modding, I have been worried about the auto, probably why I have left it standard so far.
I should really visit Adam soon though, I'm getting a little bored with standard now :)
I'm hoping it will take the 310Bhp upgrade ok? - However I need to get the damn brakes sorted first so I have decided firstly to order new standard disks and then look into caliper upgrades.

Another thing to note with Geartronic, It's actually a remarkably good system when you have learned how to use it properly.

I kept faffing around for ages, stop thinking about it and book it in :Handshake

dreadly
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 11:28
I kept faffing around for ages, stop thinking about it and book it in :Handshake

I dare not, I keep loosing my brakes as it is! - I flushed the fluid through the other night using a pressure bleeder kit and Halfrauds 5.1 fluid, I changed the pads to Black Diamond fast road and none of these changes have made any difference.

I really really need better brakes, looking for some Porsche 993tt calipers at the moment.

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 10:45

i'm surprised that you're so happy with the performance of your geartronic T5. not that i don't like the car myself, i really like it, but doesn't it bother you that it has the torque limiter in the first 2 gears?

you have to get out on a highway or an autobahn to actually feel that you're driving a 250 bhp car. because in town, you're most usually in those first 2 gears which have the limited torque.

clearly at low speeds, this car doesn't feel like a very powerful car at all. my friends who drive my car for the first time are always kind of disappointed by its 0-60 just like i am, but they do get impressed from 60 mph upwards. and my car is not stock either... well it's all relative i guess.

and the geartronic appears to be quite a useless system, considering that the car performs much better in "drive" mode, rather than the "geartronic" mode.

volvo has lot to learn about making a strong auto box which can handle the power in my opinion.

first build a 250 bhp / 243lb.ft tq car, then put a torque limiter on it so the tranny lasts longer ?? what's up with that ? why not build a proper tranny which can actually handle such power in the first place ?? :cuckoo: what's the use of producing all that torque if you're going to limit it anyway. why don't the other car producers limit their torque? i guess it's doable...

i guess the real question should be, why build a 250 hp / 243 lb.ft tq car as a front wheel driver in the first place, so that even with its stupid torque limiter, it spins all through its first gear. :cuckoo:

volvotuning
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 10:50
Serdar, the torque limit is really to aid traction than protect the box. The D5 auto can take big torque all day long without any problems at all.

Adam.

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 11:35
Serdar, the torque limit is really to aid traction than protect the box. The D5 auto can take big torque all day long without any problems at all.
Adam.

hello Adam,

i see... but then why limit 2nd gear too?.. it's not till 60mph that the T5 comes to itself and starts to pull like it really should. really annoying isn't it?

as far as i know they have a certain limit on the torque in the manual versions as well... can you eliminate this with RICA ?

dreadly
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 11:47
hello Adam,

i see... but then why limit 2nd gear too?.. it's not till 60mph that the T5 comes to itself and starts to pull like it really should. really annoying isn't it?

as far as i know they have a certain limit on the torque in the manual versions as well... can you eliminate this with RICA ?#

Having raced a couple of T5 Manual 850's fairly recently, I did find that they where spinning a lot in 1st, 2nd and 3rd! - This is not good for traction.

The auto does limit Tourque, but only to the point of loosing traction! - What use is a spinning wheel anyway really?

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 12:06
#

Having raced a couple of T5 Manual 850's fairly recently, I did find that they where spinning a lot in 1st, 2nd and 3rd! - This is not good for traction.

The auto does limit Tourque, but only to the point of loosing traction! - What use is a spinning wheel anyway really?

you're right... it's no use... but i guess that brings us back to the question of why make a 250 bhp car FWD in the first place, instead of RWD or AWD...

producing a certain power, and then limiting it, in order not to spin the tyres, is really stupid to say the least.

volvotuning
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 12:11
hello Adam,

as far as i know they have a certain limit on the torque in the manual versions as well... can you eliminate this with RICA ?

Yes, although 1st gear will never produce full boost because the engine revs too fast and can't build boost.

Adam.

dreadly
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 13:15
Yes, although 1st gear will never produce full boost because the engine revs too fast and can't build boost.

Adam.

Adam, does the RICA on the Auto versions produce more low-rev boost?

There are ways to build boost before taking off to reduce 1st gear lag though, surely?

volvotuning
Tuesday 26th September 2006, 13:45
Adam, does the RICA on the Auto versions produce more low-rev boost?

There are ways to build boost before taking off to reduce 1st gear lag though, surely?

Yes, the autos are often able to produce more boost in 1st gear than the manuals. All I'm saying is that you don't get full boost in 1st because there is not enough load in 1st gear.

Adam.

Serdar-S60T5
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 12:22

you could brake-boost and launch of course if you don't have mercy for your car :)) but i guess that will only increase your rate of wheel spin !