PDA

View Full Version : High rev

mccannjg
Friday 8th April 2005, 08:48
Advice please, I have a 850 T5 which when in idle is always running around 1300 on the rev counter. It seems to rev high when changing gear too [especially when cold].

Also when coming off the gas to slow down it does a delayed judder.
Hope it makes sense what i have described?

Any advice would be great,
Cheers Guys!

ps, have i missed something but what happened to this site -
http://volvo-t5.co.uk/

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 09:23
You either have a major air leak which I suspect or your EGR Valve needs cleaning.

To help me pin point the prob can you tell me how far you boost gauge goes into the White section on the gauge ? It should go 2/3 to 3/4

Steve

siamblue
Friday 8th April 2005, 09:26
Might be something like a throttle cable adjusted too much or it is fryed and sticking a bit.Try and the former and adjust it down a little.

mccannjg
Friday 8th April 2005, 09:49
2/3 to 3/4?
Hmmm...off the top of my head i think it just about goes half way.
I'll check it out later and let yuu know properly, thanx.

By the way what is the fix then for a air leak, or is it a case of finding where the leak is?

Thanx again.

Andrew
Friday 8th April 2005, 09:52
2/3 to 3/4?

By the way what is the fix then for a air leak, or is it a case of finding where the leak is?

Thanx again.

Air leak once found just means replacing the appropriate hose or elbow joint. If your only going half way up i.e. where the black / white join there is certainly something wrong. Air Leak is most likely but could be turbo or other more expensive problems.

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 09:53
2/3 to 3/4?

Thanx again.

For the air leak take a look Here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=280) at the thread I've already prepaired :D

mccannjg
Friday 8th April 2005, 14:48
Sorry misunderstood, i thought you meant 2/3 into the white area of the boost guage! Excuse, i am thick.

Ok i've attached a couple of pics to show you.
Excuse the quality i just did it quickly using my phone.

Pics 4 and 7 Show when engine is in idle [rev counter has been going upto 1500]
Pics 8 and 9 is when i booted it.

Also what is a EGR Valve?

I really don't know much about engines at all.

Thanks alot for your help, it is appreciated!

Andrew
Friday 8th April 2005, 15:32
It's looking fine for a normal car I'd say.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th April 2005, 15:44
IMHO I'd say you idle is a little high. The boost looks slightly down (but then that depends what gear you were in). I would expect it to come 1/2 way across the white - maybe even 2/3rds depending on load. It does point towards an air leak I'd say and/or a sticky throttle. But I really would have to see the car to be certain and hook up a calibrated boost gauge.

Where are you in the world?

Andrew
Friday 8th April 2005, 15:51
Aye probably best for a few folks to take a look - it's hard to diagnose such things without knowing if you had your foot planted etc for the high boost, what gear, what idle etc

Edit your profile - put in your location.
:)

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 08:39
AIR LEAK ALERT

Justin
Monday 11th April 2005, 08:41
You may have a knackered purge valve which is clipped onto the right hand side of the rad, but it looks more like an air leak, you will also be loosing power from it :(

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 09:02
Sorry misunderstood, i thought you meant 2/3 into the white area of the boost guage! Excuse, i am thick.

Ok i've attached a couple of pics to show you.
Excuse the quality i just did it quickly using my phone.

Pics 4 and 7 Show when engine is in idle [rev counter has been going upto 1500]
Pics 8 and 9 is when i booted it.

Also what is a EGR Valve?

I really don't know much about engines at all.

Thanks alot for your help, it is appreciated!

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

See how to clean it Here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=14160#post14160)

bay13
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:45
I'd suspect the idle air motor is the problem with the high RPM at idle. What I'd do is clean the throttle body and the idle air motor and see if that doesn't settle your RPM down a bit at idle.

The EGR on your car is only engaged when you have load on the car and are cruising down the road. If the EGR was open it would actually cause the engine to buckle or die, cause of the exaust gas being injected into the manifold at idle. If the EGR was clogged, nothing would happen except your Check engine light would come on, cause when the computer tells the EGR to open, the fuel trims are monitored and if there is no change the ECU knows somethings up.

Bracer
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:45
I'd suspect the idle air motor is the problem with the high RPM at idle. What I'd do is clean the throttle body and the idle air motor and see if that doesn't settle your RPM down a bit at idle.

The EGR on your car is only engaged when you have load on the car and are cruising down the road. If the EGR was open it would actually cause the engine to buckle or die, cause of the exaust gas being injected into the manifold at idle. If the EGR was clogged, nothing would happen except your Check engine light would come on, cause when the computer tells the EGR to open, the fuel trims are monitored and if there is no change the ECU knows somethings up.

:hail:

Welcome aboard Sir.

I fell humbled in your presence.

Another great asset to are ever growing site, thank you for joining.

Steve

craig
Friday 6th May 2005, 00:11
this all sounds familiar except the idle on my t5 is perfect and the boost gauge goes 3/4 into the white but when i change gear the revs dont drop off if i hold the clutch down they hold at the point of where i depress the clutch for about 5 seconds and then drop back down. but my mates t5 does exactly the same so is this normal?

mccannjg
Friday 6th May 2005, 08:37
funny you should say that but the revs on mine either stay or go up when i change gear too!?!??!

Doesn't sound normal tho does it? Suppose i should get that checked out too!