Baj
Thursday 7th September 2006, 13:57
What constitutes dirty?

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 13:59
The stuff i put in is pink. 3 days later the level drops and it is black :(

Baj
Thursday 7th September 2006, 14:04
Well, I am no expert, but that doesnt sound good. But what do I know :)

rs_andy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 14:20
it's probably been in there since the car was made, it's bound to be dirty by now....

only way to know is to drain it and replace it a couple of times till its clean and then check it regularly. I'm assuming there is some way to drain it of course...

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 14:22
Pop down to my house and have ago Andy :D ;)

pzorb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:17
Well I didn't have any in mine when we checked at Trax... And what was in there was pretty murky. But the steering still goes left and right.

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:22
Maybe it is the pump that moans and growns, or is it the wheel bearing?!?!

pzorb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:27
Well I only bothered to check the PAS fluid because the car started really groaning when turning. Topped up, and has shut up. Happy days.

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:28
Good stuff, i will bung some more in later :D

Murphy
Friday 8th September 2006, 09:04
Right - I have added some PAS fluid, and it still groans around right hand bends / roundabouts. Are we thinking it is a wheels bearing?

siamblue
Friday 8th September 2006, 09:31
Right - I have added some PAS fluid, and it still groans around right hand bends / roundabouts. Are we thinking it is a wheels bearing?

Its a sealed unit it shouldn't be black after a few days, drain the whole system and see what happens over the next few weeks, otherwise might be a new rack,

I have/well Arb's lol a secondhand one if it is the latter,

Babybadger
Friday 8th September 2006, 11:26

Are you sure the groaning is not this? http://volvospeed.com/Repair/70steering.php

Murphy
Friday 8th September 2006, 11:46
nice :(

I will attempt to drain the fluid later.

T-5ones
Friday 8th September 2006, 11:57
Re groaning: IMO! When not moving with engine on, turn wheel to full lock and keep pressure on. If this is the noise, it is not likely to be the bearing.

But as you have topped up the pas (which stopped mine groaning) it sounds like the wheel bearing, esp as it gets worse going round bends.

BlackBeast
Friday 8th September 2006, 12:06
To check if its the wheel bearing, raise that wheel off the ground, put your hands in the 12:30 position on the tyre and try and wiggle the wheel. If theres play in it then its most likely wheel bearing. Take the wheel off and see if theres loads of sludge/grease around the centre nut. If there is, then your bearing is cream crackered.

Murphy
Friday 8th September 2006, 12:21
Right. I will try both tests tomorrow :)

Straker
Friday 8th September 2006, 16:00
Black means carbon is in the fluid or it's burnt (getting too hot).

Neither is good, replace all the fluid and keep and eye on it. PAS systems can suffer generally with leaks, pump and seal failures.

Murphy
Friday 8th September 2006, 20:37
Erm - i think it might be the brakes you know? I will investigate more, but i just get the feeling one is binding on right hand bends?