PDA

View Full Version : turning up boost on my 98 v70 turbo

mbpromod
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 00:47
How do I turn up the boost without adjusting the rod on the turbo..
someone told me to put a tee in the hose with the yellow dot and let one end be open...I tried it and nithing happened....
anyone have any clue?..

babydave
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 00:52
the only real way and safe way is to adjust the rod but not to much as it will blow up on you.

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 00:59
ECU Upgrade. Tried and tested, and most important of all, it's the safest and best way of doing this.

Adam.

mbpromod
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:00
how much more boost can i get before i burn it up?.

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:02
how much more boost can i get before i burn it up?.

1.4 bar and your conrods will bend.

Adam.

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:09
How do I turn up the boost without adjusting the rod on the turbo..
someone told me to put a tee in the hose with the yellow dot and let one end be open...I tried it and nithing happened....
anyone have any clue?..

If you have an electronic throttle car, you will need an ECU upgrade to do this because any mechanical means of increasing boost is compensated for by the ECU which tries to bring the boost back in line.

Adam.

dougt5r
Friday 8th September 2006, 00:31
unhook the vac line to the wastegate. Works great once! ;-)
or just get a chip. That'd be the smart thing to do

Rnash2002
Friday 8th September 2006, 08:21

Adam.
So is it the rods that are the week point on the engine or the pistons too at that boost?

volvotuning
Friday 8th September 2006, 09:37
Just the rods.

Adam.

mbpromod
Saturday 9th September 2006, 01:29
so tell me exactly how to blow it up?..I wanna get the most boost possible....
go big or go home!!!!!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th September 2006, 01:49
so tell me exactly how to blow it up?..I wanna get the most boost possible....
go big or go home!!!!!

Go big....go home on the back of a AA wagon.....

Raising the Boost pressure is only part of the tuning process.....subtle changes to lots of bits will get you the most out of the car......without blowing it up......well not right away anyway...

mbpromod
Saturday 9th September 2006, 16:36
well how do i turn it up?.
I have andded a tee fitiing between the control solenoid on the air box to the valve with the shaft going in it...I left the tee part open and got no boost performance...why?..It should have given me a upgrade somewhat no?...
am i doing something wrong?...helpp...im messing with it right now....

poochingaround
Saturday 9th September 2006, 16:49
Don,t mess .Messing costs money .Listen to the people who know,Adam at VT is one knowledgeable chap who offers advice freely and without cost.Take Heed.p.s Just trying to help.

t5owner
Saturday 9th September 2006, 17:33
well how do i turn it up?.
I have andded a tee fitiing between the control solenoid on the air box to the valve with the shaft going in it...I left the tee part open and got no boost performance...why?..It should have given me a upgrade somewhat no?...
am i doing something wrong?...helpp...im messing with it right now....

If your attempting to wreck your engine then carry on as you are

If you don`t want an expensive repair bill that may run into thousands then read what adam has said and don`t mess with something that you know nothing about

However if you wanna blow her up then thats your call however i for one won`t tell you how or what to do to achieve this

Cheers

stuart

volvotuning
Saturday 9th September 2006, 17:39
However if you wanna blow her up then thats your call however i for one won`t tell you how or what to do to achieve this

Well said. Most people on here won't either, myself included! The reason being is that nowadays, you can potentially be held liable for any advice given on the internet especially when the advice comes from an expert or someone in a professional capacity.

Adam.

mbpromod
Saturday 9th September 2006, 17:47
well then how much can i get out of turning the shaft on the turbo?..which way do i turn it to get more boost?..
im not trying to blow it up im just looking for about 20 more hp...
im not holding anyone liable im just asking how to turn up the boost...

Serdar-S60T5
Monday 11th September 2006, 13:30
hi...

apparently you're insisting on doing this without the ECU upgrade, which would have been the right way to go as Adam said... which is ok since it's not my car you're messing with :) j/k

then i say, at least get a Manual Boost Controller installed or something. it's pretty cheap compared to a software upgrade. do this. and also install a boost gauge in your car and fix the MBC boost at 1 bar or below. this will probably yield you something close to 20 hp, although the delivery won't be as smooth and efficient as an ECU remap. then when you have enough money to invest in an ECU tune, hopefully you can.

but please beware that especially below 3000 rpms, any boost level above 1 bar will most probably bend your rods at full throttle, and cost you a small fortune to fix.

if you're not convinced to buy an MBC either, i still strongly suggest that you do not mess with your turbo mechanically, especially by yourself. obviously you are not trained to do this.

please don't forget that whichever way you increase your boost, you will need to meet this increased boost with increased fuel, and altered ignition timings etc... if you really want more power. and you can't do this properly without a software upgrade. period.

please note that many people on this forum including myself, have paid fair amounts of money for software upgrades on our cars, not because we're rich or stupid, but only because it is a proven fact that software upgrades are essential, if you want more boost & power from your vehicle.

best of luck :)

M a r c
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:10

Adam.

Depends at what rpm. My friend has an 850 T5 with 19T, green 475cc injectors, big 65mm alloy intercooler, full 3" exhaust, BMC T6 CDA-box and Aquamist 1-S and this car does 1,5 bar at the road from 4200 rpm untill 6000 rpm. No problems. The car has over 340bhp and 475Nm of torque :B_steerin Oh, by the way; the car was personally mapped by Marco Alsterfalk from MTE :-)

volvotuning
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:33
Depends at what rpm. My friend has an 850 T5 with 19T, green 475cc injectors, big 65mm alloy intercooler, full 3" exhaust, BMC T6 CDA-box and Aquamist 1-S and this car does 1,5 bar at the road from 4200 rpm untill 6000 rpm. No problems. The car has over 340bhp and 475Nm of torque :B_steerin

I think somewhere between 3156 and 3158 rpm the rods will bend.

Adam.

hamish
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 23:34
Depends at what rpm. My friend has an 850 T5 with 19T, green 475cc injectors, big 65mm alloy intercooler, full 3" exhaust, BMC T6 CDA-box and Aquamist 1-S and this car does 1,5 bar at the road from 4200 rpm untill 6000 rpm. No problems. The car has over 340bhp and 475Nm of torque :B_steerin Oh, by the way; the car was personally mapped by Marco Alsterfalk from MTE :-)

Marc,

The guy was talking about raising the boost with a T piece and 1.5 bar at 3-3.5K WILL bend the rods on any standard 850 especially if a 19T has been fitted.
Couple of questions; why does your mate only rev his car to 6K ? And what purpose does the Aquamist serve !

If we're Bar Stool tuning my T5 runs 375 bhp 1.6 bar a hybrid 19T and it was mapped be Adam (the other Director of Chip Tuning Ltd)

You see how easy that was ! I've just 'out tuned' your mate with a keyboard.

Regards,
Hamish.

P.S. Save me the Bull in your reply

M a r c
Thursday 14th September 2006, 07:34
If you think it's bull you should drive the car. And he revs it up to 6500 but I was just stating that the boost was 1,5 untill 6000 rpm, afterwards it starts dropping to 1,2. But I will make you a nice in-car movie in a few days, so you can see for yourself what kind of bull I am telling. The only bull**** I have seen on this forum is not coming out of my mouth....:troutslap

To start with: here is the first Dyno of that car:

http://home.planet.nl/~t.heijligers/Jeromekke.wmv