PDA

View Full Version : So you want a big stereo with screens and stuff?

Baj
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 22:17
http://w92.org/temp/t5/wires.jpg
Still want one? It was like open bowel surgery on a Dalek in there!

The more observant of you may notice the centre dash is missing. If you plan on removing this (on a x70) I advise the aid of someone not taller than 3inches high to climb inside and locate the screws, they are in nasty places.
Failing that, get one of these:
http://w92.org/temp/t5/bendy.JPG
Was £1 at the local carboot (the bendy thing, not the screwdriver). Its awesome :)

M44K TS
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 22:50
childs play, look simple enough.......

:confused:

Baj
Monday 4th September 2006, 01:15
Actually the hardest part is fitting it all in behind the headumits :)

T-5ones
Monday 4th September 2006, 13:00
Oh yes, been there done that. Just keep tellin your self that it'll be worth it.

I found that after all leads etc are plugged in, removing the glove box - yours is probably out by now and pulling the loose cables into the cavity behind the glovebox. They can be neatly stashed away, minimising problems when putting the head unit etc fully inplace.

Post some pics when you are done- just being nosey!

Baj
Monday 4th September 2006, 19:28
It was a removal test run to see how big a TFT screen I can fin in in its place (and to swap my old scratched centre console for new one so I can fabricate the screen into the old one).
The area behind the glovebox has Pioneer cleverbox for switching screens etc.
Iirc there are 6 thick black cables, 8 speaker cables, 6 RCA amp cables, 2 power connector blocks, 2 noise suppressor boxes, 1 satnav cable and 1 RCA video lead.

If you want to know whats there see my sig ;)

c70mel
Monday 4th September 2006, 23:25
You can fit a 7" in easily enough... well after dremeling your inner dashboard away and making a nice big hole:

Baj
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:39
Take out the original HU and you can get a 7" in the hole it left.
I want an 8.4" and am looking to move the AC controls to below the hazard switch

c70mel
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 10:20
Take out the original HU and you can get a 7" in the hole it left.
I want an 8.4" and am looking to move the AC controls to below the hazard switch

the double din HU place seems ideal for a screen (moulded into the dash). I wanted to keep the standard HU in though. Plus I didn't want to block the temp controls by putting a flip screen in the HU place. Still anything is possible with ICE installs... just takes time.

Dont forget these pics when u get yours done!