oblark
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 20:10
Hi,

What disc`s are better :-

1. Grooved

2. Drilled

3. Drilled and Grooved

4. Plain

Also to convert from 280 m/m to 305 m/m disc`s, Iam I right if thinging all i need is the 305 m/m disc`s and the caliper carriers ?

Thanks

thunderace
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 20:26
Also to convert from 280 m/m to 305 m/m disc`s, Iam I right if thinging all i need is the 305 m/m disc`s and the caliper carriers ?

302's will only fit with 16's or bigger, but not with columbas

you will need longer brake lines although you can sometimes get away with unclipping them, but this is not ideal and not worth it imho
may as well go braided at the same time and don't forget new pads

there's loads on here about this very popular conversion, try the search function at the top of the page, i am in the process myself

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 20:35
Its worth asking someone with 302's to check what length the brake pipes are. I bought new ones, only to find out that the ones I had on where the same length.

babydave
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:13
a friend of mine who has got pbp motorsport in rhuddlan in north wales and he can get hold of drilled and groved disc's and pads and also the hoses at a good price, you can get hold of him on 01745 591351 and ask for paul jones.
the main pads and disc's that he gets are black diamond and they are great.

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:16
Hi,

What disc`s are better :-

1. Grooved

2. Drilled

3. Drilled and Grooved

4. Plain

Thanks

For road use, plain are normally best. Grooved ones are very noisy. Drilled ones will often crack around the holes and not last very long. Drilled and grooved will give you both problems.

Adam.

st1t5
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 04:43
For road use, plain are normally best. Grooved ones are very noisy. Drilled ones will often crack around the holes and not last very long. Drilled and grooved will give you both problems.

Adam.

Totally agree, the Black Diamond 12 grooved discs on my 21t are dreadfull ... the noise they make when braking is very annoying ... its like a very loud Brrrr'ing noise .... but now that they have worn im going back to standard set up, and im also keeping the my C70 T5 standard aswell.

pzorb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 08:22
Those look awesome mate. I'm jealous.

They pre-cycled or do they need bedding in?

abdul
Thursday 7th September 2006, 08:25
drilled and grooved look much better

andyb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 14:40
Just listen to the expert ( Adam not me)...when I got my T5 it had so called drilled and grooved disks and they were bl**dy awful. On Adams advise I changed to 302`s...new carriers and Ferodo pads. Brake are now excellent hot or cold...just make sure you have suitable wheels before you invest.

Regards

Andrew

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 14:43
Just listen to the expert ( Adam not me)...when I got my T5 it had so called drilled and grooved disks and they were bl**dy awful. On Adams advise I changed to 302`s...new carriers and Ferodo pads. Brake are now excellent hot or cold...just make sure you have suitable wheels before you invest.

Regards

Andrew

Hello Andrew

How's the car?

And yes it was my fault Andrew's brakes were soooooooooo bad!

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:15
Hi all

I thought that groved disks are better than standard ones as they disapate the heat quicker so there for better when doing a lot of heavy breaking, with regards to drilled i have heard of them fracturing but only cheap ones, i bet if a set of AP's on where put on a car they would last longer than most people's cars unless they where on the track.

pzorb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:19
Well last time I read about AP in the Leamington Observer (AP are based in Leam) they were going bust. So they better last!!

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:23
Good point, but i bet you will be able to get um for a long time to come.

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:25
Do any cars [Porsche, Ferrari, Lambourgini etc] have grooved discs as standard?

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:30
I Dont Know about standard, But if you ever walk down a pit lane at a race track you will see combo's of both and standard.

Greg

pzorb
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:32
Those guys (ferrari etc) use Pagid pads as stock apparently. Went with that brand when I changed a few months ago; previously no mention of it on here - everyone talks of Ferodos. But I don't get brake fade (i've tried)

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:35
Hi
Just looked at Porsche's web site and they all seem to have drilled ones on them!

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:39
Do any cars [Porsche, Ferrari, Lambourgini etc] have grooved discs as standard?

Hi
Just looked at Porsche's web site and they all seem to have drilled ones on them!

I am not convinced with grooved. F1 cars don't have them, Porsche road cars don’t have them and the 1001hp Veyron, weighing 2 tonne doesn’t have grooved brakes. That suggests to me that they are not that great.

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:40
Hi
I stand corrected just looked at spec's for Porsche brakes and they all seem to be internaly vented and cross drill.

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:43
May be it's just an idea by brake company's to get us to spend more money, as long as they all do the same job, it cant be bad!

Baj
Thursday 7th September 2006, 15:59
I am not convinced with grooved. F1 cars don't have them, Porsche road cars don’t have them and the 1001hp Veyron, weighing 2 tonne doesn’t have grooved brakes. That suggests to me that they are not that great.

Thats because they use ceraminc discs not metal.

I have grilled and drooved discs. They make a whirr noise under light braking as thet is the grooves slicing over the pads but quiet under any heavier braking.

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 16:01
Now we are getting somwhere?. Do you know the perpose of drilled brakes then?

Murphy
Thursday 7th September 2006, 16:17
Thats because they use ceramic discs not metal.

Not really. The veyron has ceramic as has the odd Porsche and Ferrari. The majority are metal including most of the Mercedes range too, but I think you knew that really.

You can by all means get grooved discs though. I've wasted my money on them before now [even the current owner of my old car, AndyB, was alarmed], I have no reservations with anyone else doing it. I am simply trying to offer some advice.

Baj
Thursday 7th September 2006, 16:55
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brakes

Many higher performance brakes have holes drilled or cast through them. This is known as cross drilling and was originally done in the 1960's on racing cars. Brake pads will outgas and under use may create boundary layer of gas between the pad and the rotor hurting braking performance. Cross drilling was created to provide the gas someplace to escape. Modern brake pads do not suffer as much from outgassing problems and often the purpose is cosmetic. Rotors may also be slotted, where shallow channels are machined into the disc to aid in removing dust and gas. Some discs are both drilled and slotted.

Slotted discs are generally not used on road cars because they quickly wear down brake pads, however, this removal of material is beneficial to race cars since it keeps the pads soft and avoids vitrification of their surfaces.

On the road, drilled or slotted discs still have a positive effect in wet conditions because the holes or slots prevent a film of water building up between the disc and the pads. Poorly-made cross drilled rotors (such as those made by simply drilling through a plain faced rotor) may crack at the holes under use due to metal fatigue.

Racing
In racing and very high performance road cars other disc materials have been employed. Carbon discs and pads inspired by aircraft braking systems were introduced in Formula One by the Brabham team in conjunction with Dunlop in 1976.[4] Carbon-Carbon braking is now used in most top-level motorsport worldwide, reducing unsprung weight and giving better frictional performance compared to cast iron. Carbon brakes have occasionally been applied to road cars, by the French Venturi sportscar manufacturer in the mid 1990s for example, but need to reach a very high operating temperature before becoming truly effective and so are not well suited to road use. Ceramic discs are used occasionally at the very highest end of the road car market. A similar rationale to carbon is claimed for their use, although prestige probably also plays a large part.

BlackBeast
Thursday 7th September 2006, 17:06
I know for a fact that Porsches' drilled discs arent drilled at all, they are cast with the holes already there. Once you drill a plain disc the holes weakens the disc hence the cracking after some use.

Ive got some 330mm plain discs :)

kimbaleeg
Thursday 7th September 2006, 17:07

porche have them as ceramic brakes as option not standard but s class mercs have them as standeard on avangarde models wether diesal or petrol think 911 turbo has them as standard but must admit as ive said before on my R have standard plain volvo 302mm disks standard pads and its a taxi and dont get brake fade at all and i dont drive slow. moto drive it like you stole it lol :cop: although its your choice

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 17:08
Hi and well done!

That was a very insightful post mate and very well researched, So it's true every day is a school day!
Regards
Greg

GregE102
Thursday 7th September 2006, 17:13
Quote from Porsche teck spec's department
6-piston monobloc fixed caliper brakes at front, 4-piston monobloc fixed caliper brakes at rear, discs internally vented and cross-drilled
Power-boosted brake system with brake disc diameter of 350 mm front and rear
ABS 8.0 (integral to PSM)
Pad-wear sensors on each pad
Brake calipers with red paint finish

gazjacko
Friday 8th September 2006, 14:13
Many threads on this. All I'd say is once you've spent out on them (drilled, grooved, drilled/grooved) you've spent your money and are you really going to change them until next time round?
As you can see I have grooved - yes they're noisier but they do work very well IMO.
However consider that all these people (including me) have fitted other bits at the same time (new pads, lines, fluid, calipers) so the whole issue is subjective. All I'd say is that I can brake later and feel confident doing it.

T5SLAVE
Friday 8th September 2006, 14:57
Hi peeps,

I'm not goin 2 enter in2 this whole brake disc type etc debate, as I know too little about it all so couldn't possibly make any worthwhile comment:troutslap

However, I can say that my recently-ish fitted front brakes seem 2 feel better n better every time I ask questions of them and so would thoroughly recommend them 2 anyone:) They r 325mm 'Wavy' groove semi-floatin discs, n 4 pot calipers with fast road pads...don't know the exact make/spec of the pads?! The stoppin power is superb and the noise is very low in all conditions. The car was recently MOT'd and the performance of the fronties was considered "quite exceptional" by the tester...don't know what the numbers on the dials denote when brake testin 4 the MOT but mine were a shade under 5 on both sides, the rears saw just over 1.5?!

Mark:B_steerin

GregE102
Friday 8th September 2006, 15:30
Hi there

You will have to let me know how they wear over time and how many miles you get from a set of pads. I have a Saloon T5 R and am in the prosses of have lots done to the old girl so I could only afford standard 280mm black dimond groved with new pads all round, as you said when next time comes around for new ones i will definatly go for 325mm and may bre some R's on the back.
Out of interest what sort of money does a set of those cost for the kit?
Regards
Greg

T5SLAVE
Friday 8th September 2006, 15:46
Hi there

Out of interest what sort of money does a set of those cost for the kit?
Regards
Greg

I was kinda lucky with the price when it came 2 buyin my kit n kaboodle m8 as I know the guys who carried out the work n have had alot more stuff completed by them too:wink: My front brakes were £800 all in, that inc'd new fluid, new hard lines...basically the lot n then some. I'd imagine it'd normally set u back somewhere in the region of £1000-1200 bought n fitted???

Not the best photo ever...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/T5SLAVE/DSCF0114.jpg
Cheers Mark:)

GregE102
Friday 8th September 2006, 15:48
Price regardless mate they look nice, espically on a white motor!

T5SLAVE
Friday 8th September 2006, 15:53
Price regardless mate they look nice, espically on a white motor!

Cheers bud:Handshake

dreadly
Saturday 9th September 2006, 09:23
I think either S70T5Chris or Volvolised cars are using Porsche calipers on standard disks, I had a ride in a V70 with these Porsche calipers and they where pretty damn sharp compared with my S60 !!
The deep south meet managed to get my brakes so hot that the ABS, Tracs etc.. all turned off and gave me dash warnings, I am going to completely change the brake fluid today, due to the fact it seems to have changed colour and gone black!!! - Using Halfrauds 5.1 currently, wouldn't reccomend it.
I am starting to think brake fade has more to do with fluid than pads/disks actually...

philt6
Monday 11th September 2006, 18:47
I have both on mine and they are awesome much better then the ones on the previous Volvo's.