PDA

View Full Version : Strut brace

mazza
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 11:11
Hello all,hope all is well in volvo land for you all!!!
Is it worth getting a strut brace? :confused:

dicky b t5
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 11:17

In a NutShell....Yes !

Really does tighten up the front end.....Best Mod you can do for the money.
About 70 squidish. :)

volvolised
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 11:20
Deffinately, stiffens front end right up, everyone on here that's got one will agree, a nescessary upgrade now youv'e those extra horses:saythat: ,cheap upgrade oem about £75 and sometimes less i see dicky has just put his post infront but at least you get the idea it's a well liked mod

thunderace
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 11:26
yes mazza, go for it.

as said, it tightens the front and also makes driving that little bit more involving

mostin58
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 11:34
would have to agree, handles much better.

abdul
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 12:13
much better with strut brace

deer hunter
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 12:15
:thewave: yes

adriancole
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 12:22
Yes, esp with new dampers too......

Jaseb77
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 13:06
do it

cheap mod , makes a difference I feel

mazza
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 21:27
so thats a yes then :biggrin: !!!!
just looked at the volvo one,was expexting it to be about a million pounds but look only 70 quid :yikes: think i will be buying one of those then!!!!
thanks for the help as always!!!:Handshake

Fatspice
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 22:21
Bought one of e-bay yesterday. Should arrive this week hopefully!!! :)

t5tart
Monday 4th September 2006, 00:37
hope its a gen volvo one and not the pmp[ one cause the omp one dont fit unless you got a left hooker

Fatspice
Monday 4th September 2006, 13:13
It claimed to be in the item description. Won't be happy if it turns out not to be.

T5ER
Monday 4th September 2006, 13:15
It claimed to be in the item description. Won't be happy if it turns out not to be.
Just curios how much mate

Fatspice
Monday 4th September 2006, 19:09
£74 hard earned pounds. I think the seller is RTMechanic 'cos the link at the bottom of the description went to his website, so I feel 100% confident that it will fit. Item no. 130022567212 if your interested.
BTW e-bay sent me a £10 discount voucher for some reason, so I used that as well !! LOL!!

Taylor S60R
Monday 4th September 2006, 22:26
The best £74 squid you will spend!

Fatspice
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 08:58
Arrived at work this morning. My hunch proved correct with the return address on the package.
Now I have just got to find the 5 or 10 minutes to fit it!!!!
TTFN.

Fatspice
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 23:19
Wahey! Fitted it at lunchtime. Completed a run tonight that I do At least twice a week. The whole car feels tighter and you can feel the suspension doing its thing.

mazza: In answer to your question at the start of the thread; yes, it is worth fitting a strut brace.

Hope it helps.
TTFN.

T5ER
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 23:22
yep mazza deffo get one i noticed the difference on lunatic and vimto,before and after was a lot different,next is a rear 1 for vimto

LeeT5
Saturday 9th September 2006, 22:17

:Handshake BEST MODIFICATION FOR THE MONEY I EVER DID!!!!!

Massively reduces torque steer which inturn improves front end traction and less wheel spin, increases tyre life (because of the above improvement), looks good under the bonnet, weighs bugger all and cheap as chips.
Should be the fist mod anyone does.:B_steerin

Gavton
Sunday 10th September 2006, 08:19
I'll agree with all here that a front upper strut brace improves handling, but have any tried a subframe brace?

Its the same principal as the upper brace but stiffens the subframe! For even more stiffening there is an option of a rear upper brace for some cars. Dunno if they are available for all Volvos but i know a man who can fabricate them in the west mids (UK)

dafinchie
Sunday 10th September 2006, 08:43
I'm getting a strut brace but is it a mod i should tell the insurance about, does anyone know if it will put the premiums up as well :confused:

mazza
Sunday 10th September 2006, 09:37
:Handshake BEST MODIFICATION FOR THE MONEY I EVER DID!!!!!

Massively reduces torque steer which inturn improves front end traction and less wheel spin, increases tyre life (because of the above improvement), looks good under the bonnet, weighs bugger all and cheap as chips.
Should be the fist mod anyone does.:B_steerin

Btw, Main dealer sell em for £74.

i was wondering if it would get rid of torque steer,,,mines nuts sometimes,,,as soon as funds are there i will get me one of those i think!!!:)

Fatspice
Sunday 17th September 2006, 13:05
Very easy to fit. I took some before and after photo's. Hopefully they come up.

Jedi
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 22:36
you can't not do it !!

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 22:44
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Volvo-850-S70-V70-C70-T5-Turbo-Strut-brace_W0QQitemZ130011169531QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4312 0QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoho sting

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 23:21
i was wondering if it would get rid of torque steer,,,mines nuts sometimes,,,as soon as funds are there i will get me one of those i think!!!:)

If I'm honest I think it reduces it, but It definately doesn't go away...mines now worse with getting rid of the weight out of the car.
My car jumps when I accelerate over white lines, so I'm still suffering with torque steer...

BlackBeast
Wednesday 20th September 2006, 23:39
Im getting a rear brace teeeheeeee :)

Loz1
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 17:55
do you need to jack the front of the car up to relieve the pressure off the suspension or can you just bolt the brace on, ie just pop the bonnet and away you go

Rufe
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 18:35
There is no need to jack car up to fit this.

STRUTBRACE: (to fit 850 95>/ SVC70)
P/n: 9204180
Volvo Price: £79.15 inc vat
Our Price: £67.29 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £4.20 Royal Mail Standard Parcel Force
Availability: Would be in with us the same day or the next day after order is placed, then once in it would be sent out with Royal Mail.

volvolised
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 18:35
,i'ts so simple even i fitted my own.....just pop the bonnet and it's all very simple from there.....p.s make sure when you put it together before fitting that the nut that joins the bar to the strut plate is on the bulkhead side so if ever working on the engine you can easily remove the bolt... you'l see what i mean when fitting..

Loz1
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 18:51
thanks again

pookie
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 18:53
Go on, You know it makes sense.

Pookie

LeeT5
Friday 3rd October 2008, 12:18
do you need to jack the front of the car up to relieve the pressure off the suspension or can you just bolt the brace on, ie just pop the bonnet and away you go

Just make sure the car is on flat level ground...a workshop floor is ideal! Also don't do any bolts up until it is all fitted first, then tighten everything up and away you go.

Filterlab
Friday 3rd October 2008, 12:28
I'm getting a strut brace but is it a mod i should tell the insurance about, does anyone know if it will put the premiums up as well :confused:

Won't make a jot of difference, it doesn't increase the power and it doesn't compromise the braking / handling etc.

SyKo
Friday 3rd October 2008, 12:28
i am planning to get the upper and lower turbo support brace kit from ipdusa, it would seem that, from a technical point of view, stresses etc.. that it would do at least something, my 940 understeers and flex's like a muppet on treasure island when there is a fire, when i am hammering it anywhere, its better than my 740, but not as good as i want. really hope it helps as much as people say it does!