PDA

View Full Version : Automatic tranny in T5R

chrjen
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 07:41
I am about to buy a yellow T5r, my concern is the transmission, which is aa automatic. I remember reading something about these gearboxes - are the strong enough ?? or is the manual the only one for this car ??? Any answer will be helpfull, as I know nothing about this subject. I really want this car and I really want an auto, I just need some advice. Thank for any reply. Kindest regards from Denmark.

Phuturephantasy
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 09:01
I know a couple of members on here have had auto box problems but in my own experience I've had 3 of them and thrashed the tits of em without any of them ever giving me ANY trouble whatsoever. Wish I could say the same for Ford auto boxes of the same era.

If you go for a manual they can still go wrong and you have to worry about clutches as well, but they do tend to be cheaper when they go wrong.

I'd just go for whatever box you prefer as I reckon they're as reliable as each other.

splatt
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 09:06
like he said.
Nothing wrong with the auto's.

If you are going to buy one, check the auto oil.
It should still be red (if not then negotiate a new box) and have a sniff of the oil dipstick. If it smells 'burnt' (if you know what I mean) then there may be a problem on the horizon!
regards
Pat

adriancole
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 09:06
I have a T5 Auto, 123000k, just had a full tranny flush and changes as smooth as silk now....also just had an extra (apparently) 59bhp added and whilst the changes are a little harder is still a fantastic autobox, esp compared to my dads merc autobox which as 89000 really judders between changes.....

Aparently with extra HP, it is possible to remap the autobox software to smooth the changes again...am currently enquireing as to this at the moment......

adrian

fraz13
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 09:19
I would like to know the true figures but I woud probably hazzard a guess that 50% of T5's if not more were auto's, I had 1 previous to the 1 I have now (173k and 125k) and no probs at all, If your going to do a lot of 1/4 mile drag racing I would go manual but if its auto you want and you want this car dont be put of by a hand full of boxes that have given up ;)

deer hunter
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 12:09
There's nothing wrong with auto's, very strong. Mines got 150000 miles on the clock and still runs like new.:)

abdul
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 12:12
auto boxes are very strong

M44K TS
Sunday 3rd September 2006, 22:55
full fluid flush on mine and it's been fine, 122k and still going strong

Pliskin
Monday 4th September 2006, 01:09
Hi mate,

Having towed a boat,caravan, trailer and my mates sh***y non volvo broken down car, out of a ditch, not all at the same time I might add, I can certainly vouch for my 854 auto box, particulalry with Wobbly Dave's additional ATF cooler fitted.

Regards to all

volvotuning
Monday 4th September 2006, 01:28
I have a T5 Auto, 123000k, just had a full tranny flush and changes as smooth as silk now....also just had an extra (apparently) 59bhp added and whilst the changes are a little harder is still a fantastic autobox, esp compared to my dads merc autobox which as 89000 really judders between changes.....

Aparently with extra HP, it is possible to remap the autobox software to smooth the changes again...am currently enquireing as to this at the moment......

adrian

Yes it is possible to modify the auto box behaviour. On some cars (not Volvo) you have to do this when modifying the engine software else it won't shift correctly.

Adam.

t5tart
Monday 4th September 2006, 10:30
from what i have heard the auto boxes are actually stronger than the manuals
wel according to TWR lol

chrjen
Monday 4th September 2006, 18:15
Hello again.
Thanks a lot for all the answers.
Im buying the car as my wifes daily driver - it will NEVER be used as neither a racecar nor for 1/4 miles. It is only bought as a regular car for our household....but these yellow ones are just lovely in any perspective compared to an ordinary T5....the standard equipmentlist is far longer than an ordinary 850 - the rarity is of course a bonus as well. By the way the oil i the gearbox is both red and not smelling burnt - so do I have to do the fluid flush any how - or is this a waste of money ??
Kindest Regards

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 10:48
Cant do any harm having it done. If you DIY you can do it with about 15L of ATF which will cost around £50