PDA

View Full Version : 850T5R lowering springs

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:20
Hey everyone (and thanks for all the help so far as I'm still a bit confused about all this upgrade and modification talk....

Question of the hour!

850T5R 1995.....do the volvo lowering springs lower it any further or are they all included in the stock T5R package. If I can lower (whether aftermarket or volvo)
how low can i go before getting wheel rubbing or other ride problems (though poor driveway and speed hump handling I'm fine with).
Also Aussie road regulations cite that the absolute lowest point on the car be 100mm clearance. My question is...Will the lowering of the front springs and stiffening up to improve handling likely get me in trouble with the aussie piglets?

Pennies for your thoughts...anyone :wave23d:

Andrew
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:32
The T5R come lowered anyway although I'm sure they can be lowered even more with after market springs. Dave850R should be able to tell you as he recently did his 850R. Going below your 100mm will allow the ausie cops to pink sticker you - do you really want to loose the ability to drive your loooovelly car.

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:37
that is something i have to consider carefully of course

i just can't help getting excited by the thought of my black 850T5R with a really black tint (hoping around 18%), a set of 18" pegs (same as current in gunmetal grey), hugging the road, waiting in the moonlight for me for another midnight ride.

I'mpretty sure i'm in love with this car....it's hard to say, i haven't this way about a car before :smlove2:

:banana:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:41
The new springs I have - are no lower than the ones on the 850R or a T5-R. The back end of mine has gone down to a 1 finger clearance between the top of the tyre and the arch rim. It remains at 2 fingers at the front - as a rough guide.
If you went lower, it will depend on tyre profile and size. The ride and handling on my drop is superb so I have no idea or desire to know or go any lower. I am sure it is possible, however the lower you go the stiff everything has to be to stop you bottoming out. Ride comfort will be sacrificed IMHO.

misterpeck
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:54
What springs did you go over to Dave? :worship:

Considering doing it to the Yellow Peril.

misterpeck
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:20
Bit behind, just read it in other spring thread :uglyhamme

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:24
Full list of things changed

2 x top mount spring seats (go to my Forum photos and you will see the state of the old ones)
1 x top mount bearing
1 x Anti Roll bar drop link
4 x Eibach Lowering springs (ride height remains unchanged, apart from the back which went down a bit)
4 x Monroe reflex shocks. Nivomat self levelers on the back were knackered and they cost too much to replace and I don't need the load carriage that much these days.

Worth every penny

misterpeck
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:32
I take it then that the ride and handeling are much better than a standard set up?

I only ask cause I think that one of the rear springs/shock might be in trouble. Going through the history records of the car in june last year only 1 spring/shock was changed, it looks to me that the car sits a bit pi55ed, (good excuse to spend some money and justifiable to SWMBO)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 14:04
That is a bit poor. Shocks should always be swapped as pairs as a minimum else the car will be uneven.

I had knackered suspension so it is a great improvement. Whether it was better than the original setup is anyones guess.

I would also consider (if you haven't already) of buying a strut brace - VT can supply them with the setup or you can get them directly from Volvo for ~£75 inc VAT.

misterpeck
Friday 8th April 2005, 13:54
That is a bit poor. Shocks should always be swapped as pairs as a minimum else the car will be uneven.

I had knackered suspension so it is a great improvement. Whether it was better than the original setup is anyones guess.

I would also consider (if you haven't already) of buying a strut brace - VT can supply them with the setup or you can get them directly from Volvo for ~£75 inc VAT.

Thanks Dave a great help. I asume that the T5R's had self leveling suspension aswell cause there is no headlight adjuster in the cabin?

So I think it might be 304 RICA, a new suspension set up and a Strut / Spring brace in the next couple of months :bounce:

Andrew
Friday 8th April 2005, 13:58
They certainly have self levelling in the rear yes.

Andrew.

misterpeck
Friday 8th April 2005, 14:04
They certainly have self levelling in the rear yes.

Andrew.

Will it make much difference if they are removed?

I do take the 2 dogs out in it and they weigh 16 stone together.

Andrew
Friday 8th April 2005, 14:10
Will it make much difference if they are removed?

I do take the 2 dogs out in it and they weigh 16 stone together.

Dave850R has removed his but as he said he doesn't need the load carrying capacity. If your putting 16 stone in the back portion I personally would keep or at least replace them. Give VT a call and speak to Hamish or Adam for some professional advice.