PDA

View Full Version : Nos....newbie Questions

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:11
Hey everyone

Whenever I think NOS...I always think :wow: , but is it actually used on the 1/4 mile? thats what i am most intersted in...but you need to be moving at a nice pace even before pressing the red button.

also, from what I've read, adding a 50HP shot of NOS (taking total to around 360 after the Big RICA upgrade) would stress the internals. Am I right? as i don't want to blow anything up whilst having fun :rally_dri

BTW, not on my immediate shopping list :smile:

Cheers lads and lasses

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:17
Madness (Aka Jamie) has a T4 with NOS and RICA upgrade. If not installed right I fear that there would be a higher risk of reliability problems. Depends really on what BHP figure you have in mind?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:18
At 360BHP your internals are going to be under a lot of strain.....

x

After_Shock
Thursday 7th April 2005, 13:13
As above at 360bhp the engine life will be massively reduced, thats providing you dont bend any rods in the process!

Bracer
Thursday 7th April 2005, 13:49
You have to remember with forced induction engine, whatever stated nos shot you use you will always gain more due to the cooling effect it will have on the intake charge, the passive gain will be linked to how much boost you are running.

mac855t5r
Thursday 7th April 2005, 17:14
When to switch on the Nitros isn't a speed thing, you've got to be at Wide Open Throttle.

Used to use it to overcome turbo lag at the start when using big 'uns and methanol, but never ran it under full boost. As Bracer said, you just can't detirmine how much power you're making (too many variables), and for drag racing it's all about tuning the car to the track... In a road car, the chances of running lean before the ECU gets a grip and retards / dumps the boost are too great. (in my humble opinion)

madness
Thursday 7th April 2005, 17:52
Another thing is the higher pressure inside the cylinder. Reliabitlity is all down to the quality of the install (do it right) and how far you want to push the limit :D

jross
Thursday 7th April 2005, 20:05
If you decide to run NOS, run a wetshot (not a dry shot), and be prepared to fork out to VMS or SPR for new (better) internals. You'll definitely eat through those in short order, and you could even do this: http://v6power.net/multimedia/KillsprayDynoDay.wmv

hamish
Thursday 7th April 2005, 21:40
Sounds great GFI !
Light blue touch paper and stand well back !!!
I'm thinking that it might be an idea that we do so custom mapping on the new dyno looking at the AFR in real time. Otherwise your going to be needing a plentiful supply of pistons!! But instead of wasting your money on a few seconds of NOS why don't you put a bigger turbo on ?

Regards,
Hamish.

P.S. If your going to run 360bhp on a stock bottom end can I watch ??!! Please !

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 23:02
LOL! :uglyhamme

:hbomb:

Justin
Thursday 7th April 2005, 23:38
ROTF @ Hamish :uglyhamme

kristoff007
Friday 8th April 2005, 08:33
haha, point taken about the nos blowing things to bits.

so Nos is probably off the table given my record of breaking things that can be broken :wallbash:

I think a T19 might be on my immediate shopping list.
I've heard its a nice easy conversion and the results give me goosebumps just thinking about it.
cheers

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 08:40
Sounds great GFI !
Light blue touch paper and stand well back !!!
I'm thinking that it might be an idea that we do so custom mapping on the new dyno looking at the AFR in real time. Otherwise your going to be needing a plentiful supply of pistons!! But instead of wasting your money on a few seconds of NOS why don't you put a bigger turbo on ?

Regards,
Hamish.

P.S. If your going to run 360bhp on a stock bottom end can I watch ??!! Please !

By all means mate :hidesbehi

Bracer
Friday 8th April 2005, 08:41
haha, point taken about the nos blowing things to bits.

so Nos is probably off the table given my record of breaking things that can be broken :wallbash:

I think a T19 might be on my immediate shopping list.
I've heard its a nice easy conversion and the results give me goosebumps just thinking about it.
cheers

That will be a 19T mate :buttkick:

jross
Friday 8th April 2005, 20:42
Just don't be like most of the idiots here in the states who bolted on the 19T and then didn't tune properly -- alot of them bent their rods and screwed up their motor. RICA is supposed to be quite good, from what I hear, and you can actually get their chips there! I'd go with them..

spesh
Friday 8th April 2005, 21:01
Been there with the bent rod thing, but i managed to do that with my 15g, opps :cuckoo: , got a 19t fitted, wat a difference, pin you in the seat or wat!!!! :eye-poppi :rolling_e

rich850t5
Friday 8th April 2005, 21:08
At 360BHP your internals are going to be under a lot of strain.....

xYEAH your bowels might need a remap too :snail: