PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Question

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 09:59
Hello all!

I have a T5R from 1995 in Australia. Just wondering what turbo it currently has. 15T or 16T maybe? I'm not sure.

Also...if this car was to be the very quickest it could be, What would be the best turbo solution?

cheers for the thoughts.

:mischievo

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:14
Hello mate. The best solution is a 19T - as a direct bolt on without modding the outlet manifold. You may need a new downpipe/cat to go with it.

To make the most of the turbo however you will need a remap of some kind.

Andrew
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:21
It comes with a 15T as standard.

I'm going to differ with Dave (our resident master ) opinion here. I'd say to keep the 15T or 16T simply because they spin up quicker and are more suitable for day to day driving. The 19T is for going very fast on long straights IMHO.

So ultimatly what kind of driving you do depends on what sort of turbo you should get.

Either way - look at a RICA ECU upgrade as the first option to tuning your T-5R.

Andrew.

:hail:

Murphy
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:40
It comes with a 15T as standard.

I'm going to differ with Dave (our resident master ) opinion here. I'd say to keep the 15T or 16T simply because they spin up quicker and are more suitable for day to day driving. The 19T is for going very fast on long straights IMHO.

So ultimatly what kind of driving you do depends on what sort of turbo you should get.

Either way - look at a RICA ECU upgrade as the first option to tuning your T-5R.

Andrew.

:hail:

Tis true, i like smaller turbo's they are so much more reactive, the downsides are though they are short lived, spin up v-quick but die out just as quick. The 19T will produce a smoother level of torque throughout the rev range and will create more power, however the on road performance isn't that different between the 2, but if you are planning to get big power from your car, the 19T will fit the bill.

You will need a full rebuild, strengthend internals and a bespoke map, and get that 19T at 2 bar. The result is uncapped........

However your wallet might be the only weak link in that chain ;) - lol

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:59
Andrew has a point. I didn't really think about the 19T lag implications more about the fact you can get more top end, and ultimately more power. The 15G (Auto) and 16T (Manual) spin up earlier.

Remapping is still worthwhile on any of these.

Andrew
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:11
Andrew has a point. I didn't really think about the 19T lag implications more about the fact you can get more top end, and ultimately more power. The 15G (Auto) and 16T (Manual) spin up earlier.

Remapping is still worthwhile on any of these.

Dave your always thinking more power
:mgshoot:

glock19
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:27
Apart from the turbos unit, later 850/70 exhaust manifolds have some extra ponies crept up somewhere. Wish I had that too...

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 11:33
interestinglad...interesting

so a 19T for possibly more power....BIG top end

and

a 15 or 16T for quicker spinup.

my thoughts now are, seeing as the T5R are notorious for front wheelspin, and the real speed is gained only after they fully grip the road (at about 40kmph) might the 19T still not have spun up to get speed up fast.

BTW Dave, I have no problems with talking about power :mischievo

what i'm looking for i suppose is just a nice wishlist already made up with everything thought of for the lesser creative of us in mind

ie.

19T turbo $
bigger dowpipe or whatever? $
manifold? $
install and tune $

obviously all prices will vary, but just a ballpark figure would be nice so that i know how hard i have to bust my balls to get my 11 year old brick down to 13.6 :mischievo
(thats teh fastest t5 i've read about so far)

cheers

volvotuning
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:30
You don't need to change the manifold. 19T isn't super laggy like you think! It's actually a very driveable turbo, as anyone who drove my R knows. And Murphy can confirm that it doesn't have a problem performance wise against a 15G car, but once at higher speeds it will piss on anything. So if you want a T5 that can beat an E46 M3, the 19T upgrade is for you.

Full RICA stage 2 is about £2600 all in, for a minimum 340 bhp on the 2001 and later models. Aftershock had 352 bhp on his!

Adam.

kristoff007
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:38
you sound nicely confident Adam. I like it

how much will the 19T set me back?
and anything else i gotta consider?

thanks for your time

volvotuning
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:39
I just edited my post above. Check out our web site www.volvotuninguk.com for the details of Stage 2.

Adam.

Ian C70T5
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:44
Hamish has already sold me onto the 19T turbo option, just need to save some more for it etc.

From what he said its not laggy just that the difference at the top end if such a difference that it makes you think the lower range was laggy when it was actually close to the 16T. if you get what i mean. I cant wait to sort out the funds for my 19T conversion.

After_Shock
Thursday 7th April 2005, 13:11
When I had mine done I didnt notice any extra lag at all, in fact the engine itself seemed to be alot more willing to go below 2000rpm, maybes that was due to the RICA altering the air/fuel stuff before the turbo even comes into it.

However the 19T has one major advantage, at cruising speeds of upto about 80mph in 5th gear the turbo is not cutting in so I regularly saw 33-35mpg on a run with cruise on, it didnt do that as standard because the turbo will have been cutting in!

Also at 70mph stick it in 4th floor it and change into 5th at the redline just under 150mph, cant think of any other cars that can do that for this kind of money!

glock19
Friday 8th April 2005, 00:49
In the end, the top speed will still not be more coz the gear ratios are fixed ? The autos would be much-much slower, right ?

After_Shock
Friday 8th April 2005, 01:58
Very true the top speeds will be the same, however one of them will definately reach that top speed and will also get their alot quicker.

I know the 4th gear flexibility was beyond belief, I never came across anything that kept up from 90mph in 4th.

kristoff007
Friday 8th April 2005, 02:03
Just to add to the story, I have the 5 speed manual, which should be a bit faster than the auto right? (and therefore i have the 16T turbo in it now?)

Is a 2nd hand or reconditioned turbo generally a good idea as it seems to save cash?

and is the 19T turbo volvos own turbo or is it some 'standard' size 19T, that greddy or other manufacturers make?

the top end speed sounds really good.

:D

glock19
Friday 8th April 2005, 03:46
What turbo size is this ? It's from the 240 ... :D

After_Shock
Friday 8th April 2005, 10:03
The 19T is a Volvo turbo its fitted to the older shape V70R AWD however is quite rare so the chances of you getting a re-conditioned one are slim to none really.

Ideal thing about the 19T is it fits straight on with it being a Volvo turbo, depending on car as you may need a new downpipe but its worthwhile upgrading this anyway.

Al115
Friday 8th April 2005, 10:25
I had the 16T / 18T / 19T debate myself recently... and decided to put a 19T on.

The killer was finding that the 19T "delay" ammounted to ~150rpm over the 16T - so yes, more laggy, and no, not something I'm likely to notice :ylusy:

Will post up with reactions once it's fitted and tuned properly.

Alastair