PDA

View Full Version : Servicing

BlackC70
Friday 1st September 2006, 20:33
Alright, I'm going to do an interim service on the C70 tomorrow as it's feeling a bit lethargic and the oil is black, I've got a new volvo oil filter and air filter, and 6 litres of 5w40 Fully Synthetic oil, am I right in thinking...

1: The oil filter is under the car, and it just unscrews out of the sump and that the element is paper and just falls out.
2: 5w40FS is fine for the car (I think 0w40 is recommended but will 5w40 be acceptable?)
3: The sump plug is reusable (I have already bought a new sealing washer for it)

It's a 2.0 20v 5-pot. Cheers :)

BlackC70
Friday 1st September 2006, 20:34
oh and 4: It will sup 5.8 litres of oil before being full, so I reckon on chucking the whole 5l in, and topping up with my 1l bottle

thunderace
Friday 1st September 2006, 20:47
not sure on oil but yes yes yes lol
why not fit itg or kn air filter, direct replacement but last 'forever' and give tiny bit of performance

BlackC70
Friday 1st September 2006, 22:07
cos I need to do the service tomorrow and all the shops are closed!

S60D5
Saturday 2nd September 2006, 00:01
Put in 2 litres, then check, then keep putting in 1 litre at a time. Did the oil on a friends car a while back putting the whole 5 litres in and found he was a tad over max, even though we'd just drained the old oil and the car was meant to take 6.1 litres!

5w40 is fine.

babydave
Tuesday 5th September 2006, 01:25
i worked on volvo's for 5 years and yes sump plug is ment to be reused just a new alloy washer, oil filter will be a metal filter which will screw off or a paper filter which you will need a removal tool to take it off. while putting all 5 ltrs of oil in and then start it up and then top up with what ever you need

BlackC70
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 01:28
Don't like the sound of a removal tool to take the oil filter out :(

If the weather is ok tomorrow I'm going to have a go at doing it, I changed the air filter and it's helped it a bit but it still feels sluggish... What's this special tool look like then? on the filter box it just shows it unscrewing and the new one going in in it's place with a new rubber sealing ring to seal it all up...

BlackC70
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 22:25
done it today... what a pain in the harris!!

only the bloody swedes would put the filter in the sump and the sump plug on the back side of it not the bottom! Of course, thanks to gravity and the angle at which the sump plug sits, I sprayed a 5ft oil slick down the road while I tried to catch it in my drain can! Mind you, it's all done now and as far as I am concerned it's going to stay like that till the service light comes on for the warranty service!

It had a Fram oil filter in it, but I've put a volvo OE one in - is the fram one comparable or is it crap?

Cheers!

siamblue
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 23:15
done it today... what a pain in the harris!!

only the bloody swedes would put the filter in the sump and the sump plug on the back side of it not the bottom! Of course, thanks to gravity and the angle at which the sump plug sits, I sprayed a 5ft oil slick down the road while I tried to catch it in my drain can! Mind you, it's all done now and as far as I am concerned it's going to stay like that till the service light comes on for the warranty service!

It had a Fram oil filter in it, but I've put a volvo OE one in - is the fram one comparable or is it crap?

Cheers!

mine was a pain too, i have a air scoop on my transfer box to aid cooling which is directly in front of the sump plug, car was up in the air on the ramps, took the plug out hit the transfer box hit air scoop and did a 10 inch fan of oil all over the place completely missed my drain tank lol,