PDA

View Full Version : number plates ?????

blackwolf t5
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:37
as a new member sorry for my ignorance but what is all this with number plates hidden is it for insurance purposes or anything else as well

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:40
Hi mate , welcome to the site !!

As for plates, i used to hide mine but dont bother now ....the reason behind it is internet fraud..could use your number plate but my thinking is if they do something somewhere then its a certainty i was somewhere else so its clear fraud!! A personal choice IMO !!

blackwolf t5
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:46
what possible internet fraud can they commit ?

t5tart
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:48
stealing your car's identity to comit crime ie ram raids etc

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:48
Only thing they could do is put your number on a similar car .. no big shakes i feel , if they do it for resell purposes..ie stolen car ...you wouldnt lose out but the buyer of duff car would ...

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:49
stealing your car's identity to comit crime ie ram raids etc

If they are doing a ram raid i would suspect cloning a car is not high on their agenda...

blackwolf t5
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:54
what good is the number without the other information

t5tart
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:54
no but they do put false plates on to throw the scent

just one of the many options they use it for

the main one thought is to avoid things like road tax and insurance and speeding tickets lol

seeing as its all computerised now with anpr

blackwolf t5
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 23:56
thankyou all of you for all that information

Baj
Thursday 31st August 2006, 00:35
Traceability as well.
If you sit there bragging about all the expensive things in your car there are ways of getting information that can reveal where you live and next day you awake to find it missing.

muscas
Thursday 31st August 2006, 08:38
Traceability as well.
If you sit there bragging about all the expensive things in your car there are ways of getting information that can reveal where you live and next day you awake to find it missing.

That's more worring than the prospect of your car been cloned !

Baj
Thursday 31st August 2006, 13:26
Yup
Simply you could pay for an HPi check which I think gives address, more criminal people could have access to illegally obtained police or dvla databases.

GregE102
Thursday 31st August 2006, 14:11
Hi

There was a program on last night about cloning of reg plates, they only need a close color match and your reg then its off through any camera's, drive offs from garages, tool charges and its all back to you! but the best point made on this post has to the mention of stopping theifs trying to steal your pride and joy.

swordy21
Friday 1st September 2006, 10:55
At the end of the day though, it's just as easy if not easier for any car crook to walk round any supermarket carpark or any street to look for and steal reg no's. Just the luck of the draw with cloning.

t5tart
Friday 1st September 2006, 11:33
far warmer and less noticable to do it on the web though

Al115
Friday 1st September 2006, 12:02
Two words: Congestion Charge :o

sholtby
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 11:24
Say your a crook and own a Volvo and plan to commit speeding, conjestion or more serious crimes where better to find an identical car to your own than an owners club site.