PDA

View Full Version : RICA - What does it involve?

Baj
Sunday 27th August 2006, 22:48
Its a fair few quid, more than it costs to connect a laptop and reprogram a chip (if that is indeed how things are done), so what is actually involved?

From what I understand a remap for an ME7 engine is near twice what it is for pre-ME7. Why is this, what extra is involved?

I would love to get it done one day but am interested to know what it involves.

Have I said involve too much?

arbee
Sunday 27th August 2006, 23:16
In terms of ECU programming generally - I think (and I'm sure someone more expert can correct me) that the physical process will either involve remotely updating your software by way of computer and cable etc, or it will be a 'piggy back' type chip that is perminantly soldered into your ECO, or a combo of the both where it can be installed directly to the ECU (temp soldered then removerd)

I'm not 100% what process RICA uses and if its the same for all.

Most of your money pays for the initial R&D, not the time/expertise used to physically instal it on your car. R&D costs are eventually recovered so you will probably find that products that have been around for longer (eg pre me7) will get cheaper quicker :)

abdul
Monday 28th August 2006, 01:09
rica i think is a remapping of the ecu no solderindg involved

volvotuning
Monday 28th August 2006, 10:10
Its a fair few quid, more than it costs to connect a laptop and reprogram a chip (if that is indeed how things are done), so what is actually involved?

From what I understand a remap for an ME7 engine is near twice what it is for pre-ME7. Why is this, what extra is involved?

Most of the info is available on our web site. Taken directly from the FAQ -

6-Q. What is involved in the upgrade?
6-A. First the car will be checked for fault codes and a visual inspection done on the engine to check the overall condition of the engine and some of it's components such as leaking hoses etc. Once we are satisfied with the condition of the engine, we will proceed with the ECU upgrade. Depending on your car, your ECU is either reprogrammed through the diagnostic port, or the software in the ECU is reprogrammed with the ECU out of the car. After the upgrade, the car is tested to ensure that it is running safely and another fault code check is done to ensure that the engine computer is function correctly.

ME7 is normally done via the OBDII port.

As to the high costs, yes it's basically what others have said. Plus, ME7 is a lot more complex than the early stuff. The analogy is this - Microsoft Office costs a few hundred quid, but the cost of making the CD is only a few pence and installation is only a few clicks of the mouse.

In the case of the RICA upgrade, installation and pre/post diagnostics is free. It's the RICA software you pay for.

By the way, if you have an early 1998 or 1999 ME7 car, then these are currently on special offer at £470 inc VAT.

Adam.

mazza
Monday 28th August 2006, 10:28
Baj, i was the same as you,i wanted to know all about it first before i had it done,Adam as you can see with the reply you got,put my mind at rest,was very helpfull top bloke really!!!you will be very impressed with the results when you get it done.all at vt will go out of their way to get the best results from your car,it is the best thing i have done!!!massive grin factor!!!!DO IT BAJ!!!!

p.s Adam do i get some kabanos for that..........

volvotuning
Monday 28th August 2006, 10:39
p.s Adam do i get some kabanos for that..........

Of course!!! LOL :)

Adam.

Rufe
Monday 28th August 2006, 16:21
The analogy is this - Microsoft Office costs a few hundred quid, but the cost of making the CD is only a few pence and installation is only a few clicks of the mouse.
thats a very good analogy to be honest. :)

Baj
Monday 28th August 2006, 18:46
By the way, if you have an early 1998 or 1999 ME7 car, then these are currently on special offer at £470 inc VAT.

Adam.

Dont say that! Mines a 99 (but I think its a MY00)

Adge
Monday 28th August 2006, 19:36

Please, could anyone tell me when ME7 started, what it stands for, and how to find out what my 19998 C70 is?

siamblue
Monday 28th August 2006, 19:38
Me7 was 98> some S plates are Me7 and some are motronic 4.4,
paid £285 inc for my TME, and mine is a ME7 :)

volvotuning
Monday 28th August 2006, 19:43
Please, could anyone tell me when ME7 started, what it stands for, and how to find out what my 19998 C70 is?

Easy way to tell -

ME7 had a blue background on the badge on the front grille. Earlier throttle cable cars had a black background.

Adam.

Baj
Monday 28th August 2006, 20:01
Easy way to tell -
Do you have a throttle cable? :)

COL272727
Monday 28th August 2006, 20:59
Adam, please put me out of my "I NEED A REMAP MISERY" i have a 51 plate s60 T5, need more power, i.e. the infamous 310's please can you pm me a price inc vat, Cheers ...........

Adge
Monday 28th August 2006, 21:00
Thanks all. Yes I do have a throttle cable. Therefore pre ME7!

st1t5
Thursday 31st August 2006, 00:47

Adam.

Mmmmmm ....... How long is this offer for ?