PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

BlackBeast
Thursday 24th August 2006, 19:27
Looking for a cheap way of making the standard headlights look a little different. I shall be colouring the ridged section in the headlight itself, ala Fraz. As the glass has to come off to do this, I was thinking about doing something with the glass. Would i be stupid in thinking i could get away with polishing the glass so it has no lines or anything, they would then have a very similar style to the newer C70 headlights that people upgrade to, at very little cost.

Only thing im concerned about is the beam pattern. Does the glass do anything with regards to that? If it does, how do the newer style headlights get away with it?

Tomcat
Thursday 24th August 2006, 22:23
As far as I know the 'older' style headlights with the shaped glass use the glass to focus the beam pattern, the newer ones with plain lenses have the beam pattern controlled by the bulb and the shape of the reflector behind it. So if you polish out the glass until its flat(don't know how you'd do it), you'll loose the beam and the light will just go everywhere.

BlackBeast
Thursday 24th August 2006, 22:29
:( Thats buggered that plan up then, cheers TC lol

T5SLAVE
Thursday 24th August 2006, 23:25
As far as I know the 'older' style headlights with the shaped glass use the glass to focus the beam pattern, the newer ones with plain lenses have the beam pattern controlled by the bulb and the shape of the reflector behind it. So if you polish out the glass until its flat(don't know how you'd do it), you'll loose the beam and the light will just go everywhere.

Yeah m8, almost certainly an MOT no no Id imagine.

Good luck with yer experimentin m8, I'm lookin in2 alsorts o different options at the mo in a bid 2 have twin lamps up front...not easy moddin our headlamps is it?!

BlackBeast
Thursday 24th August 2006, 23:42
Yeah m8, almost certainly an MOT no no Id imagine.

Good luck with yer experimentin m8, I'm lookin in2 alsorts o different options at the mo in a bid 2 have twin lamps up front...not easy moddin our headlamps is it?!

And as we all know, the MOT only shows that the car is legal at the time of the test anyway :)

I think I might just get the glass from somewhere and give it a go. Cant do any harm just to try it out.

M44K TS
Thursday 24th August 2006, 23:55
find a rear ended punto, nab the headlights, cut the domes out, graft them into yours, spray the surrounding parts of the old reflector black, the sit back and enjoy.

(oh and do the same for the main beam aswell.)

BlackBeast
Friday 25th August 2006, 00:02
find a rear ended punto, nab the headlights, cut the domes out, graft them into yours, spray the surrounding parts of the old reflector black, the sit back and enjoy.

(oh and do the same for the main beam aswell.)

Mark, thats an awesome idea, mk2 punto headlight hunting here we come. :Handshake

Tomcat
Friday 25th August 2006, 17:50
Hmmm, I see loads of them at work all the time. Theres an idea!!

BlackBeast
Friday 25th August 2006, 18:45
Get them done TC, your the man when it comes to plastics/fiberglass :) Fancy doing up a set :)

GregE102
Friday 25th August 2006, 18:54
Hi There

I was looking at another members 850T5R and he has a realy nice light conversion Check out member "RT MECHANIC", i think he said they where from the states as well but looked nicer than a 70

Greg

barberecpw
Friday 25th August 2006, 19:59
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/cpgroup2/vallis05111.jpg

and a rare picy of the rear.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/cpgroup2/Black_clusters.jpg

Barbs

Tomcat
Friday 25th August 2006, 20:01
I thought the quality of these wasn't so hot though?

barberecpw
Friday 25th August 2006, 20:02
I thought the quality of these wasn't so hot though?

no idea.

LL Barberecpw

BlackBeast
Friday 25th August 2006, 20:36
Exactly, plus they are £££. I dont want to spend hundreds on a pair of headlights when their quality are indoubt. Hell i can make my own from mk2 Punto lights for £40 with the quality indoubt, at least id have something that nobody else has and my pocket will like me for it aswell.

Tomcat
Friday 25th August 2006, 21:05
If we're thinking of making our own, how the hell are we going to get clear lenses?(presuming we're talking 850 not v70). Actually constructing the lights wont be that difficult,I could make the backs out of fibreglass.

BlackBeast
Friday 25th August 2006, 21:17
And what about the electronics?

Tomcat
Friday 25th August 2006, 21:23
Er.......if the punto stylie lights are HID's then just buying one of them cheepie HID kits would be a starting point, just replace the bulbs they give you with the Punto units.

M44K TS
Friday 25th August 2006, 21:26
nope, mk2 punto's use the standard headlight bulbs, just a dome instead of a patterned reflector.

I was thinking of doing the same with my mini's angel eye headlights and using HID's

should look pretty trick.