PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help?

wrighty
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:27
Hi guys and gals.

Having trouble with the t5 (manual).

Car accelerates fast and strong from standing start but the other week I decided to see what she could do. Bearing in mind i've been told that these babys can do 155mph and have around 225bhp. Car reached 120 then seemed to hesitate and knock. Since then when i've been driving at around 90ish it seems to hesitate slightly evey 4 seconds. feels more like a crappy mondeo thant a t5 beasty now!

Any ideas what this could be? Spark plugs, air filters maybe?

Do you think a trip down the local volvo dealership for a service may help?

Any help greatfully received.

Craig

T5ER
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:30
i would get it looked at ASAP mate was the knocking noise the engine ??????

Al115
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:33
When was she last serviced? If you are the DIY type you can look at the "Stage 0 tune" guide on this site...

My personal preference would be for a good independent garage. Where are you based?

Good luck!

wrighty
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:37
Don't think so... Turbo seems quite noisy when driving it hard through the gears, wasn't sure if i'd blown a gasket on it maybe. Don't get me wrong, i'm not some mad head boy racer - usually drive her steadily to conserve uk fuel supplies.

Do Volvo garages have all the kit to give it a good test. Anyone had it done? Whats it cost?

May have to tap the Volvo GM up. He's an old friend but havn't had any reason to bother him yet... haha!

wrighty
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:38
Based in Hull.

T5ER
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:39
Don't think so... Turbo seems quite noisy when driving it hard through the gears, wasn't sure if i'd blown a gasket on it maybe. Don't get me wrong, i'm not some mad head boy racer - usually drive her steadily to conserve uk fuel supplies.

Do Volvo garages have all the kit to give it a good test. Anyone had it done? Whats it cost?

May have to tap the Volvo GM up. He's an old friend but havn't had any reason to bother him yet... haha!
Yep they have everything to test inlet pressures and so on

wrighty
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:42
Will duely bother him tomorrow!!!

T5ER
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:51
I would mate as what you have described dont sound good but tbh it could be something really simple???? you never know

wrighty
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:55
Just seems funny its only at high speeds. Runs perfect up to 70ish. Feels really strong. Just crap top end. What should I be expecting performance wise up top?

t5tart
Thursday 24th August 2006, 02:57
i would suggest a stage 0

but i had something similar with mine and it turned out to be a spun big end bearing £1000 rebuild

and it seems the guy didnt change the rings while it was all out and looks like i.m gonna have to do it all again lol

Rufe
Thursday 24th August 2006, 13:56
what the hell is a "stage 0 tune" when its at home? lost me now?

do you just mean a good and throrough service?

mazza
Thursday 24th August 2006, 14:28
yep..

Al115
Thursday 24th August 2006, 14:33
what the hell is a "stage 0 tune" when its at home? lost me now?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t217-stage-0-tune-up.html

Rufe
Thursday 24th August 2006, 18:10
oh right. sorry about that, just never heard a service refered to as a stage zero tune before, lol

Al115
Thursday 24th August 2006, 22:14
Fair enough, but it's more than a regular service and is really "performance"-oriented in my eyes. Often a good place to start for stuff like this.

Babybadger
Friday 25th August 2006, 11:26
I would check the hoses leading to the airbox as well. Mine did a stuttering thing once at 85+ and it turned out to be the Induction hose BEFORE the MAF (mass air flow ) sensor (near the radiator). Make sure they are all tightened. I think it was causing a difference in air pressure above a certain speed.

Also disconnect the MAF cable and reconnect a few times to make sure the contacts are clean.

Fit an ITG/K&N filter as well , this should make a big difference.