PDA

View Full Version : Road noise - drivers side

nikgallagher
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 08:16
On my 96 854 it sounds like the door or window is slightly open while driving. I've checked all the rubber seals around the drivers door and they all seem to be intact. There doesn't seem to be any cowling missing under the wheelarch either, so where could this road noise be coming from? It's a shame because the engine noise is very quiet, and I'm sure the cabin noise should be quieter. Any thoughts appreciated.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 09:44
The aft runners inside the door for the window can come lose. Mine did - I took it out. Take the door card off and check, is my suggestion.

nikgallagher
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 09:52
Sorry mate, might need a laymans term for 'aft runner'. (At first thought you were referring to a silly sprinter.)

Andrew
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 09:54
Sorry mate, might need a laymans term for 'aft runner'. (At first thought you were referring to a silly sprinter.)

The bits that hold the window glass steady I would imagine

nikgallagher
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 10:13
Why would they make it more noisy though?

Are the door cards held on with sealant and/or disposable rivets that I would need to purchase on my way home today, before I start pulling, ripping etc. later?

Andrew
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 10:17
Not sure never taken one off - I'm assuming Dave thinks your window may be slipping ever so slightly and hence the noise. I've had this happen once and you couldn't see it due to the top of the window going into the frame - it only dropped by about 5mm but it was enough.

Andrew.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 10:35
It was only a suggestion. Noises over a forum - could be a lot of things. Personally I'd have to hear it to understand it.

nikgallagher
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 12:58
And I appreciate the suggestions a great deal chaps. It may well be the normal driving noise but I have never sat on the passenger side so have nothing to compare with (apart from when you took me for a spin Dave, but I assure you I was concentrating far too much on staying alive than on road noise!).

One of the good things about this forum is that a great number of ideas are bounced around by different people all the time, so I think that all contributions are important. :B_thumb: Imagine if we all had to just use the Haynes manual... AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 15:18
Well my showboating can be a wee bit hairy at times - but that's what she wants to do. Who am I to stop her?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 15:21
Well my showboating can be a wee bit hairy at times - but that's what she wants to do. Who am I to stop her?

you could try taking your foot off the go pedal hun - that would stop her!! :lol: :uglyhamme

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 15:28
why would you wanna go and do a thing like that?

Bracer
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 16:02
If you get a new zorst and intake you can drown out the wind / road noise :rice: