PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when decelerating.......

adriancole
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 20:45
Evening all..

When lifting off from accelerating hard, there is a slight clunk, do you lot reckon this is an engine mount...??? any other possibiliities..??

Cheers

adrian

T5ER
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 20:46
sounds like a mount of some description mate

pzorb
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 20:52
Gearbox?

adriancole
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 21:02
Not sure its coming from the autobox, well that what im hoping anyway, think its more engine direction....

pzorb
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:11
oh right i assumed manual. my bad.

abdul
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 23:43
i have a clunking noise when i set off what should i look for

LeeT5
Thursday 24th August 2006, 02:59
Check top and bottom mounts (top one is favourite). This sounds like play in the g/box, Get yer garage to road test for you. :B_steerin :jaw: With you in passenger seat of course.:)

abdul
Thursday 24th August 2006, 08:00
engine mounts or gearbox

TwistedSanity
Thursday 24th August 2006, 09:24
subframe mounts? mine are fecked

T-5ones
Thursday 24th August 2006, 10:50
Sounds like a very common problem. Mine is suffering form all of the above except the autobox, being a manual! I'll let you know once Ive had a chat with the mechanic what the clunking was on mine.

adriancole
Thursday 24th August 2006, 12:09
Roger that, mine going into garage tuesday, new dampers, springs and all mounts being done....that should cure it.......standard dampers, some progressive springs adn standard mounts.....I like a comfy ride..... :)

GATHY
Thursday 24th August 2006, 13:51
can of pop in the boot or other object lol:Handshake

adriancole
Thursday 24th August 2006, 15:17
can of pop in the boot or other object lol:Handshake

Nuts, you were right......

Babybadger
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 09:41
Mine does as well, not all the time though. From cold it is hardly noticable. As the car warms up in traffic you notice it more, espaecially when moving slowly it will change up into 2nd with a bit of a thump, more annoying than anything. I need to change the following in this order anyway:

1) Thermostat - shagged needed replacing for months, but still cools when too hot, (between 2.30 and 4 o'clock position most of the time)
2) Flush the coolant - old
3) Reflush the ATF - because the thermostat was not working properly when I did it the first time!
4) Another oil change

I have looked at the top mount and that is fine, BUT i haven't checked the bulkhead mount rubber of the top mount (all of you should check this as you can't see if it is split unless you drop the top mount arm off) and I haven't checked the bottom mounts as well. I think there is 2 of them and a 'tie bar' IIRC.

How the hell do you check the subframe mounts??????

pzorb
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 10:17
We had an old 320 auto that used to change gear on the auto with a thump; new fluids sorted it out (it was low)

Babybadger
Thursday 31st August 2006, 15:57
We had an old 320 auto that used to change gear on the auto with a thump; new fluids sorted it out (it was low)

Wish mine was as easy as that........I had mine flushed in January of this year, but didn't bother flushing the coolant and changing the thermostat! DOH! ATF is v. slightly brown again where the intercooler is getting hot and then .....click the thermostat punches in. Running it carefully until I get all the work done.....