PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Rozzers...

ade74uk
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 19:30
Just found this article on 'the other site' thought it might be of intrest,

"Lancashire Police has introduced seven diesel-engined Volvo S60s to its fleet of Motorway cars. The arrival of the high-powered diesel models, all fitted with Volvo’s award winning 185PS D5 engine, means the Lancashire force is one of the first to move into diesel-powered models.

The 2.4-litre, five-cylinder Volvo S60 D5 not only competes with the alternative petrol model on performance but also spends less time at the pumps, averaging almost 40mpg on the official combined cycle. A top speed of 143mph and a massive 400Nm of torque available from 2000rpm also ensure the S60 D5 is more than up to the endurance task the Lancashire Constabulary will put it through.

The switch from the popular V70 T5 (260PS) petrol estate to the swift and nimble Volvo S60 D5 follows a shift in the remit of the Highways Agency, which has allowed the Lancashire Police force to utilise alternative vehicles to downsize and re-focus much of the fleet.

Chris Malkin, Lancashire Police Fleet Manager, said, "We were looking for a vehicle combining motorway performance with reduced fuel costs and environmental impact. The Volvo S60 D5 provides the performance we require while achieving significant fuel savings. Better still, diesel powered D5 is kinder to the environment than the petrol vehicles they have replaced."

Commenting on the appeal of the Volvo product, Chris added, "The proven reliability of Volvo cars in the policing environment, their safety features, warranty and support, all provide an excellent package for our motorway role."

All vehicles are fitted with the latest LED lights bars supplied by RSG Engineering, mobile data terminals and ANPR equipment. All the commissioning and equipment installation was carried out by Lancashire Police’s Vehicle Maintenance Unit at Hutton on the outskirts of Preston. In addition, Lancashire Police workshop staff are trained in all aspects of the Volvo product including the new VIDA diagnostic system"

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/releases/lancspol-s60d5.shtml

After_Shock
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 23:44
They have been using them for a while as unmarked cars, none of which are white!

They are also ordering nearly all silver cars now as opposed to white due to re-sale values.

Its quite amusing how many of them come into the workshops with petrol in the diesel cars that need pumping out.

poochingaround
Thursday 24th August 2006, 00:00
Could this signal the end of the T5?

BlackBeast
Thursday 24th August 2006, 00:06
Could this signal the end of the T5?

Highly unlikely, due to the Ford Focus ST.

ade74uk
Thursday 24th August 2006, 12:19
Im my (uneducated opinion) i dont think they will get rid of the V70 as they are such a good work horse for lugging things around, however this is a great advert for the D5.

Also on another note a police V70 Pase 1 went by me at a rate of knots the other day I didnt realise they still had any left, I live near the Lancashire hedquarters and they do use them sometimes for driver training etc also use unmarked 3litre omegas.

Anyway hope you all enjoy the last bank holiday in the sunshine

Drive safe

Ade74uk

GATHY
Thursday 24th August 2006, 13:48
i believe they using v70 d5s in leeds now as chasers,one was sat next to me at the lights and it sounded rough on a 06 plate

bet council tax doesnt come down like there annual fuel bill

After_Shock
Friday 25th August 2006, 20:04
Highly unlikely, due to the Ford Focus ST.

Focus ST doesnt use a proper T5.

Personally I believe the end of the true T5 is on the cards very shortly, we will definately find out when the next gen S60/V70 is out next year, if the T5 is not in the line up and a turbocharged version of the new I6 engine is then thats it, its gone forever which is a big shame.

The only thing that might bring it back would be a hot version of the C30 or a Focus RS/Cosworth.

BlackBeast
Friday 25th August 2006, 20:41
Focus ST doesnt use a proper T5.

I know, but, knowing what the Ford lot can do when they get their gruby little hands on something can only be good for the engine. Hopefully, the engine will catch on with the Ford tuining gurus. If that happens, then its all the better for us.

Andy
Friday 25th August 2006, 21:12
They have been using them for a while as unmarked cars, none of which are white!

They are also ordering nearly all silver cars now as opposed to white due to re-sale values.

Its quite amusing how many of them come into the workshops with petrol in the diesel cars that need pumping out.

Which force you refering to?

After_Shock
Friday 25th August 2006, 22:43
Cleveland have a few but still seem to order nearly all white and not many T5's anymore, Yorkshire never seem to take delivery of a white car anymore!

Andy
Saturday 26th August 2006, 10:47
Cleveland have a few but still seem to order nearly all white and not many T5's anymore, Yorkshire never seem to take delivery of a white car anymore!

Was going to say, i've not seen a D5 in Northumbria.

Lets hope they keep the T5 in service - the 6 speed ones go like stink :D

D5R
Saturday 26th August 2006, 11:19
Arent they putting the T5 into the C30?

Would they do that - if the T5 was on the way out?

Lee
Saturday 26th August 2006, 11:44
Here in Birmingham they are moving away from the t5 and going to the skoda for traffic. As for the armed response they to have moved away from the T5 due to serious performace issues once fully armoured and loaded. The stated figure i was give by someone on armed response was around 11secs to 60. Now they have gone over to the BMW 530d as this will do 0-60 in 7.5secs fully loaded.

After_Shock
Saturday 26th August 2006, 17:20
Arent they putting the T5 into the C30?

Would they do that - if the T5 was on the way out?

The T5 going into the C30 is the same unit in the Focus ST which isnt a proper T5, its just a normal engine re badged as a T5.

After_Shock
Saturday 26th August 2006, 17:22
Here in Birmingham they are moving away from the t5 and going to the skoda for traffic. As for the armed response they to have moved away from the T5 due to serious performace issues once fully armoured and loaded. The stated figure i was give by someone on armed response was around 11secs to 60. Now they have gone over to the BMW 530d as this will do 0-60 in 7.5secs fully loaded.

I seriously doubt those figures are anywhere near accurate, 11secs to sixty fully loaded where the 530d does it in basically standard time fully loaded! In other words they have seen the fuel savings other forces are getting using diesels so they are dropping the petrol cars.

tangomike24
Monday 2nd October 2006, 19:23
Surrey have just got hold of a VRS estate un-marked demo and had a marked 530d for a while during the summer. Now the Highways agency is on the motorways the traffic departments are getting shoved into more proactive roles. As they are now spending more time in and around urban areas the need for a traffic car such as the T5 is no longer, with smaller (VRS) or more fuel efficiant (530d) vehicles being prefferd by the money men. It is a shame as the T5 has been a police icon for years. Still, they could go for the 535d and get the better of both worlds!!
As for the P1's surrey still have one or two that are used for all sorts of strange things, delivering the T being one.