PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to hate this car !

nobananas
Sunday 20th August 2006, 22:55
Okay so I've had burning oil issues with my T5. Could be turbo seals, could be valve stem oil seals and someone mention piston rings ! I had sort of decided it was the turbo but to be on the safe side and as suggested I did a quick compression test today. Number 1...175psi, number two...175psi, number 3...175psi,(going good so far, nothing wrong here) number 4...110psi !...hang on I'll do that again....110psi, no, screw it in a bit tighter...110psi ! Okay, nothing to worry about, if number 5 is low it's perhaps a weak head gasket blown between the cylinders...number 5....175psi!....CRAP ! Okay, number 4 might have a burnt valve, chuck a teaspoonful of oil down the bore, if it stays the same just a burnt valve if it goes up its rings, number 4....175psi !..... I'm going off this car, I cosset it, service it more often then it needs, it's driven fairly lightly (by T5 standards)and it always gets whatever it wants no questions asked....
SO WHY DOES IT KEEP BITING ME ON THE AR*E :wallbash: :rant: :cussing:

abdul
Sunday 20th August 2006, 22:57
probable just bad luck with this car

iGGy
Sunday 20th August 2006, 23:56
I know the feeling, except I've not had the balls to do a compression test yet :hidesbehi

I was checking everything out before it's MOT last week (which it managed too pass) and with it not raining much, I'd not used the rear washer/wipe for a couple of months...wiper went, but no washer. Not even a buzzing sound out of the washer bottle pump. I'm assuming it's the one at the bottom of the bottle and only accessible by taking off the inner wing liner. As I've got to change the radiator, I might just as well add that to this list of things to do whilst I'm at it.

nobananas
Monday 21st August 2006, 00:11
Will be pricing up a set of piston rings and gaskets etc tommorrow. The only plus side is that I've now banned the missus from using it for work (70 mile round trip) so I get to drive it for a change !

Vikingxl
Monday 21st August 2006, 11:26
Good luck with it mate hope it starts to work out for you!

t5tart
Monday 21st August 2006, 11:39
when you get a price on the rings let me know
think i may well do mine when i have the head off

BlackBeast
Monday 21st August 2006, 16:59
You might aswell change the rods at the same time :)

nobananas
Monday 21st August 2006, 18:40
You might aswell change the rods at the same time :)

Why ? I'm not made of money:confused:
Piston rings were about £18 a bore and I priced up big end bearings as well which I think were about £22 an end ! (Volvo prices) The machine shop we usually use are also pricing stuff up for me but they had a bit of touble with the engine code. Mine says B5234T, but the only listing they had was a B5234FT. A quick ring to Volvo confirmed it was a B5234FT...WHY DIDN'T THEY WRITE THAT ON THE CAM COVER THEN !.....I dunno' what chance have you got ! Gonna' have all the valves recut when the heads of which I know from experience aint gonna be cheap !

t5tart
Monday 21st August 2006, 18:48
yer i got quoted £800 for a head job ( not that sort)

if anyone knows anywhere cheaper let me know

Wayne if u read this can you find out some prices for me matey and pm me with them rings and big end shells and hydraulic tappets

cheers

nobananas
Monday 21st August 2006, 19:00
He couldn't get a price for me too could he. ?.....I'd be his friend! The machine shop we use said they couldn't really quote for the head work as they won't know till they strip it. I'll try and pin him down on a 'worst case scenario' and let you know. Were you having a reface as well ?

BlackBeast
Monday 21st August 2006, 19:08
Why ? I'm not made of money:confused:

Because thats usually the main weakness on these engines. When i said rods, I should have written stronger rods. If you ever feel that you wanted to go for more power then stronger rods wouldnt be a bad thing. In the long run, doing it now while the engine is apart will actually save you money.

I was just trying to give you some extra info. :sorry:

nobananas
Monday 21st August 2006, 19:56
Thanks BlackBeast and I appreciate the info but as much as I would love to tune the nuts of it I just don't have the wedge to do it. I might possibly go Rica (one day) but it's used as a commuter hack for the missus and the fuel bills alone are a killer not to mention the mileage she racks up !!

t5tart
Tuesday 22nd August 2006, 01:36
yer i would love to do the rods
but they are about a grand aint they ????

I'm sure t5er will get you a price too :)

woz
Tuesday 22nd August 2006, 02:31
Okay so I've had ...................., I cosset it, service it more often then it needs, it's driven fairly lightly (by T5 standards)and it always gets whatever it wants no questions asked....
SO WHY DOES IT KEEP BITING ME ON THE AR*E :wallbash: :rant: :cussing:
Maybe the cars OK - Is it your arse maybe??
W;>)
LOL - scoot and run!:saythat:

zanelli15
Tuesday 22nd August 2006, 13:22
Can you actullay remove the rods and pistons with the engine still in the car, when i was last doing the head gasket on my car 6000miles ago, i noticed from underneath that the sump sailed past the subframe, i have read some where that to do that type of work you have to remove the engine.

I only ask because i have been thinking if i keep my car and don't sell it soon i was going to up grade the rods, by the way does any now how much these are.

Try doing 3000miles amonth at 26miles per gallon and 104 pence a litre for super unleaded. my fuel bill for last month was £560.00.

Although i do claim just under half back from work.

nobananas
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 22:15
Local machine reckons on about 300-400 quid to reface, recut valves, recut seats and reassemble my head (volvo, not mine). Should be a bit cheaper as that rough estimate included re-shimming the tappets which I kept protesting wouldn't need doing !!

t5tart
Thursday 24th August 2006, 02:53
you cant re shim the tappets they are hydraulic lol

thats not a bad price
is that a 3 angle valve cut ??

in answer to the other question
yes you can get the pistons out without removing the block
my ocal independant did anyway

nobananas
Thursday 24th August 2006, 18:33
Thats what I kept telling him ! Dunno whether it's a single or 3 angle cut. I'll ask him closer to the time ,I'm thinking though it's only a single.

t5tart
Thursday 24th August 2006, 21:25
yer i would think so