PDA

View Full Version : Anti-christ roll bar

pzorb
Sunday 20th August 2006, 16:32
When I took the drop-links off the anti-roll bar last weekend the removal of downforce caused the ends to rotate up towards the body of the car, in the same plane as wheel (ie movement of the wheel rolling backward) all by themselves. The rubber looked like metled cheese wrapped round a stick.

First, is this movement normal?

Second when I took one side off, the remaining other was a right job as the bar wanted to move up while i wanted to slacken the drop-link. Any ideas on how I can push it down to where it should be?

Cheers bigears

PS. (I know that I should replace the anti-roll bar but I don't want to have to drop the engine /etc to do it, nor get an aftermarket one that's solid as a rock - it's not bent or anything just the rubber's a bit off)

t5tart
Sunday 20th August 2006, 16:46
did exactly the same on mine
i found it better to take one off at a time to replace
but leant this after taking them off one car and then had to do it on another

i just used my jack handle and levered it back down to the right position to get the drop link in you may find it usefull to have another pair of hands to slot the drop link in and spin the nut on if they are available

i used te back of the wishbone to lever against its tight but works

woz
Sunday 20th August 2006, 21:19
did exactly the same on mine
i found it better to take one off at a time to replace
but leant this after taking them off one car and then had to do it on another
s
Yeh - use the wait of the car by jacking it up and down with wheel on ground (or TCA on a block, if wheel off). Equiv to parking one wheel on kerb I guess.

Good luck - theyre strong buggers arent they!! Have to be, to control the weight of a Volvo waying around up top!!
LOL
W:>)

pzorb
Sunday 20th August 2006, 22:11
Given that they're both off now though...?

Babybadger
Monday 21st August 2006, 10:49
I think I saw it on Volvospeed on their old site. Jack the car up and put it on axle stands. Then take the wheels off. Then put the jack under the end of the wishbone or disc/rotor with a thick cloth/pad or something (as not to damadge the disc/rotor) and jack it up until the suspension starts to compress and keep going until the tension comes of the anti roll drop link (or SWAY BAR to our cousins across the pond). You should see this is then a doddle with no tension on it.

Vikingxl
Monday 21st August 2006, 10:50
I hope you have got the axle stands out this time Pzorb

pzorb
Monday 21st August 2006, 10:52
Lol yep, but on plyboard... keeping my eyes peeled for local Scrotes!

pzorb
Monday 21st August 2006, 10:56
I think I saw it on Volvospeed on their old site. Jack the car up and put it on axle stands. Then take the wheels off. Then put the jack under the end of the wishbone or disc/rotor with a thick cloth/pad or something (as not to damadge the disc/rotor) and jack it up until the suspension starts to compress and keep going until the tension comes of the anti roll drop link (or SWAY BAR to our cousins across the pond). You should see this is then a doddle with no tension on it.

Cheers. My issue is that I took them off already last week, so the bar needs to be pushed down. Moving the suspension up will help the overall difference in movement but I'm not sure it'll go up enough to match where the bar is now + the length of the drop-link. If you get me? Or am i just smoking crack?

t5tart
Monday 21st August 2006, 11:05
no as i put in my post you will need to lever the bar down with something put the bar over the top of the anti roll bar and under the back of the wishbone and just lever it down

Babybadger
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 12:16
Cheers. My issue is that I took them off already last week, so the bar needs to be pushed down. Moving the suspension up will help the overall difference in movement but I'm not sure it'll go up enough to match where the bar is now + the length of the drop-link. If you get me? Or am i just smoking crack?

This may help you out

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/sway_front.html