PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper mounting bolts`

Russell
Sunday 20th August 2006, 16:11
I am about to change my rear disks and pads, reading the haynes book it says you need to replace the bolts when refitting?
Is this needed as I have everything apart from the bolts and no where is open now on a Sunday
First time I have come across this before.

iGGy
Sunday 20th August 2006, 16:31
Unless I'm very mistaken, you'll find that everyone on here has reused their existing bolts.

As it's to do with the brake system, Haynes probably just add that as a legal issue.

t5tart
Sunday 20th August 2006, 17:03
when you buy the disks from main stealer they supply the bolts with them indicating that should be changed
however I have done my disks on 2 cars now and reused the bolts both times

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 20th August 2006, 19:10
I've re-used mine twice so far, and I have no intentions of changing them. I think it is because they are angle tightened for torque settings that new bolts should be used.... but if you go by the F.O.T. theory (F*** off tight) then you'll be fine.... but I don't work on cars for money so it is at your risk....

t5owner
Sunday 20th August 2006, 20:32
I have always replaced my used bolts when undone but each to their own

There not that much to buy even from the main steelers

Don`t forget to add some thread locking compound to the bolts before you refit them

Cheers

stuart

T5ER
Sunday 20th August 2006, 21:14
The only reason why genuine discs come with new bolts and paynes tell you to change them is because they have thread lock on them,so just put a drop of thread lock on your old bolts and all should be ok