PDA

View Full Version : Jewel headlights

mac855t5r
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 21:32
Just fitted a set of SAM Jewel headlights (originals not well after 10 years) and concerned that, even though they assured me that they were suitable for UK use, the beam pattern is wrong.

SAM tell me that they've sold more than 10 sets into the UK, anyone out there had experience of these? Any probs at MOT time???

Need to decide whether or not to sent them back... no good if they can't light the road properly!

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 21:36
Why not take it to an mot testing station and ask if they'll check them for you. Let us know if they're ok as I fancy a set.

mac855t5r
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 22:19
will try my local tomorrow.

Meanwhile i've been reading some of the other threads... it's would seem that i'm right... LHD pattern only.
SAM were of the opinion that it didn't matter because the lenses are clear, told them that the pattern decided by the reflectors with these type of units... reply by email that they had no other reported probs form the 10+ sets they have sold over here...?

If the pattern is LHD then they won't pass the MOT...

Will check though, and see if there's a way to invert the DIP reflector, without b**gering the unit...

As a side note, want to fit HIDs. Any source in the UK that answers emails or their phone? HIDs Online in Chester don't!

After_Shock
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 00:58
I remember from when I had my astra I got some aftermarket headlights for it which came set up for LHD, however they were really easy to adjust, just undid a clip on the back and twisted the lens around to the next position then was all sorted, do these lights not have an easy adjustment?

stevepud
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 08:32
As a side note, want to fit HIDs. Any source in the UK that answers emails or their phone? HIDs Online in Chester don't!

Mac, and anyone else interested....

One of the traders on the 300ZX website recently did a group buy on 6000degree HIDs, they ended up at £180 each - a more recent group buy went for £200 I believe as the market had changed

I bought a set for the ZX and they were fantastic, plug and play too.
If you're interested, you can go onto www.300zx.co.uk and contact OUTLANDER MOTORSPORT in the traders section.

I'm sure Mark (the owner) will be more than happy to knock together some sort of deal for you. Obviously if you can get a few together, the price may well go down. Tell him STEVEPUD (I'm a member on there too) gave you his details please - wont get you a better deal but might get you around having to be a paid up member. If he wont trade, lemme know and I'll arrange a group buy through him for you

Steve

mac855t5r
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 19:05
They appear to use a combination of reflector and bulb-cap to generate the beam pattern... could be a b**ger to sort. No time to get them checked for MOT today. Any MOT testers out there know the answer?

Def interested in HIDs at that price!

stevepud
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 19:07
I've given Mark at Outlander this website, He'll no doubt be intouch shortly.

Hopefully he can sort everyone a nice deal.... HOPEFULLY