PDA

View Full Version : Door mirror removal to check motor

distendo
Saturday 19th August 2006, 21:29
My driver's side door mirror can be remotely adjusted up & down, but not side to side. It can be freely adjusted by hand to to the correct sideways position.

I want to remove the glass to check what's happened inside the housing. I've just read something about inserting a screwdriver to release the "glass retaining hooks" (Haynes manual), but I seem to recall reading that removing the mirror itself involves swivelling the glass into the housing at the edge nearest the door, and then inserting a lever there, between glass and housing, and push-sliding the glass away from the door... Maybe not!

I had a brief go at this but didn't want to apply too much pressure in case I'd got the technique wrong, and it also occured to me that after a good few years the fittings may be dirty or corroded.

Anyone any experience at this?

The Flying Banana
Saturday 19th August 2006, 21:48
Put mirror all the way up and you can gently pull it from the bottom...if you look under it there should be a series of notches..put a flat blade in end one and flick it left or right ( cant remember ) ..kinda small ratchet device ..mirror will be released or if no ratchet on it put the mirror all the way right and put your fingers in behind the mirror at the door side and give a quick tug..it'll come!!

distendo
Saturday 19th August 2006, 22:48
I dunno there... advice from the 'flying banana': "give it a quick tug and it'll come..." I don't know what to say now...
:rolleyes:
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

arbee
Saturday 19th August 2006, 22:48
the mirror has two motors, one will not be working at all - it may just be that if you replace the motor unit (2-3 screws after you have removed the mirror glass) it will work - although with me it was the electrical switch (in the console on my old 850 that was the problem. Mr bananas technique is spot on for glass removal

Baj
Saturday 19th August 2006, 23:13
the mirror has two motors, one will not be working at all - it may just be that if you replace the motor unit (2-3 screws after you have removed the mirror glass) it will work - although with me it was the electrical switch (in the console on my old 850 that was the problem. Mr bananas technique is spot on for glass removal

One of my mirros doesnt work at all. From this can I assume it will be the switch?

arbee
Sunday 20th August 2006, 08:05
One of my mirros doesnt work at all. From this can I assume it will be the switch?

seems most likely i guess :)

distendo
Sunday 20th August 2006, 19:05
Thanks lads!
Mr Bananas quite right.
Now, anyone got a mirror motor which doesn't work? It's only the nylon track which engages with the motor cog that's bust.

akky
Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 11:34
yeah my drivers side dont work. However, the retraction doesnt work either, so I'm wondering if its a problem elsewhere. Would the nylon track control all functions to the mirror?

distendo
Friday 25th August 2006, 23:45
There are two short nylon tracks at 90 degrees to one another which basically do the business. Have you taken a look inside the mirror housing to see what's (not) going on?