PDA

View Full Version : Buying a C70 - What to look for...

Dacvolvo
Friday 18th August 2006, 23:10
Hi, Folks

What's the weak points & things to look out for when buying a C70?

bubba_1986
Saturday 19th August 2006, 00:29
Check the window works well, my regulaotor on drivers side broke last night :(

Hmm what else, make sure not too much wind noise, do a water test to see if water leaks through where the wing mirror meets

Hope this helps a bit mate

Good Luck

T5chris
Saturday 19th August 2006, 10:25
Check for play in lower wishbone bushes and top engine mount, they were all knackered on mine when I bought her. Cost me nearly 650 quid to stiffen her back up (koni kit + new lower wishbones - V70R spec).

Check brake discs for warping as that's another annoying little habbit (did it on both my C70 t5 and my old 850 T5). Ended up going for Black Diamond drilled and grooved discs all round to stop it happening again.

Check all window rubbers for leaks, not just the fronts - the back windows are side opening so are just as likely to start leaking - the rubber seals can become brittle and let water in. And again check window switches, I have replced the driver's side unit twice since buying the car 16 months ago.

PS, mines for sale on this site if your interested.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rufe
Sunday 20th August 2006, 21:04
window regs are a good idea to check, new ones will set you back about £400 easily.

if its a 99> model, dont forget they are ME7, and its worth making sure it drives fine. your looking for idling problems and erratic revs more than anything, if these are dodgy then chances are the ETM could be faulty. also worth asking the question to see if its been changed or not

as with all cars, make sure ecu light comes on, then go's off when engine is started

Dacvolvo
Monday 21st August 2006, 00:05
Bubba - Water test; excellent point. I'll def be checking that ;)

Chris - That's a fine example, pity it has a slightly higher mileage than I'm looking for otherwise, I'd be doing business with you, Sir. Just out of interest, does it have Sat Nav?

Rufe - Exactly what is "ME7" ?

Vikingxl
Monday 21st August 2006, 10:23
Make sure Wobbly Dave hasnt owned it lol!!

monkey_boy
Monday 21st August 2006, 11:46
Echoing Rufe

If its ME7 there isnt a throttle cable. It uses an ETM (under the exhaust manifold i think) and this is a very common fault area (i have found) my rebuild cost several hundred quid!) Something i was unaware of when i bought the car (fobbed off by seller DOH!)

If its due a rebuild/reprogramme it will have a dodgy tickover in idle pulsing up and down anywhere from 100-200 rpm (approx) also mine had a flat spot at 3000rpm.

Dealers should reprogramme for free and after talking to Volvo UK customer services (how good are they!) apparently a clean and reprogramme should also be free (i am awaiting confermation and a refund).

As mentioned. Warped discs and wishbones. Also check the window shut. Mine whistles and its not the simplest job to adjust. My top mount went and on Wobbly daves advice i got the uprated Volvo mount and have heard crash dangers of fitting poly ones (no flex pushes the mount into the cabin). Mine was £35 from a dealer and comes with all the aluminium mount. Easy 10 minute fix.

Obvious other things are gearbox, Play whilst in gear isnt too good. and an auto should have a smooth change without a noticable "jerk"

Tyre wear (as you probably know) is horrendeous on the fronts. But check for uneaven wear. This should give you an indication about suspension set up as well.

Good luck. Dispite my niggles i love my car. It is the best motor i have owned in many years. i'm hooked