PDA

View Full Version : Help with my bush, please...

samsplums
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 21:56
Currently polybushing lower wishbone. What a bl**dy hassle! Any tips or hints..?

Purchased powerflex set and they don't seem right size either.

Can't find any how to threads.

Can anyone help my bush situation?

Thank you beautiful people.

T5ER
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:08
You will need a hydraulic press mate thats the only proper way really of doing it

splatt
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:12
Hydraulic press......:haha:

Just did a set of theese on a Fiesta with a hammer and a vice.
Removing the old ones is the hardest part.

A press is the easiest way if you have access to one in reality, although not entirely necessary

T5ER
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:14

A press is the easiest way if you have access to one in reality, although not entirely necessary
LOL i like the easy life mate

samsplums
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:17

Did they go in alright? I know that don't just POP in but they appear to be nearly an additional 2mm in diameter...

splatt
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:33
If you havent done them before at all I would say take the wishbone and new bushes to an engineering Co and get one of them to do it for you. It wont cost a lot for them to do it and you will know its been done right.
All bushes are tighter than a nuns knickers so there's no movement.

I used to be in the trade so thats why I do my own if I can. Trust me...its a pain to do.

samsplums
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:36
If you havent done them before at all I would say take the wishbone and new bushes to an engineering Co and get one of them to do it for you. It wont cost a lot for them to do it and you will know its been done right.
All bushes are tighter than a nuns knickers so there's no movement.

I used to be in the trade so thats why I do my own if I can. Trust me...its a pain to do.

Did upper engine mount easy-peasy.

Are wishbones considerably harder then..?

T5ER
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:45
Yep and they should be about 2-3mm bigger mate

Fatspice
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 23:11
Try tyre soap, fairy liquid or swarfega on the bush to lubricate it on the way in. I find it helps on Golf III/IV rear axle bushes.
As far as removing them goes, set light to the rubber with a blow torch or similar to burn out the rubber. Be prepared for plenty of smoke and the smell. (Dirving T5's you get used to that from the front tyres lighting up:biggrin: )
I hope it helps.
TTFN.

blackbooty
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 23:54
Did upper engine mount easy-peasy.

Are wishbones considerably harder then..?

much harder, theyr surrounded by metal and need to be compressed into the control arm.
a big vice, lots of diff sized sockets and loads patience should do it, but if you damage the control arm, youll have to buy another and take it to volvo or an engineering firm anyhow.

wayne

Babybadger
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 15:19
Put the bushes In the Freezer! Heat The Wishbone end Up Slightly (boiling water or leave in a cooling oven ....not too hot) and Use A Bit Of Copper Grease!Buy some over sized washers, and a nut and bolt and turn them in. Sorted.

nobananas
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 21:24
I did do a how to in the knowledge section for regular bushes, it's still there but for some reason the pics have dissapeared !

t5tart
Thursday 17th August 2006, 02:22
glad i read this
think ill take the wishbones off and pop them down a garage with a press lol