PDA

View Full Version : Preventing water from Entering Plug Wells! :confused:

sregan
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 20:58
I had an embarrasing breakdown en-route to Snetterton last Sunday....I eventually got towed on to the circuit and the good old AA man found water in 4 out of 5 spark plug wells..(Believe me, hearing it misfiring was almost soul destroying) Due to the amount of rain that fell last weekend, I had no choice but to go through a large puddle..I slowed down to about 10-15mph...but 3-4miles after, it started misfiring. Anyways, when they were dried out, the engine started fine.

Anyone else had a similar problem? I was thinking of getting creative with some sheet metal or something, just to protect the spark plug cover on the top of the engine. Any suggestions would be great..I don't want to be afraid to drive my car after a large downpour of rain! (Suffice to say, the people that have heard about it on the grape-vine have ripped the p*ss out of me too....Submarine, Submersibles....'We all live in a Volvo Submarine'..you name it, I've heard it!!:redface:

Any help is gladly appreciated!!

T5ER
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 22:51
No mate never had probs with water ingress

Fatspice
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 23:25
Just a thought, but you could always put some silicone sealer around the cover that fits over the plugs if the gap is small enough.
TTFN.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 23:27
Do you have a boonet scoop or something? Drive through fords?

sregan
Thursday 17th August 2006, 19:54
I have a bonnet scoop, yes...but the water was only about 3 inches deep!

BlackBeast
Thursday 17th August 2006, 20:01
Well ive never heared of water going into the plug holes with a standard bonnet, even with the weather strip by the wipers taken off.

IMO all fingers point at the bonnet scoop.

sregan
Saturday 19th August 2006, 00:02
Cheers mano'..will bear that in mind!

poochingaround
Saturday 19th August 2006, 07:32
Went to VT yesterday found evidence of water ingress on no 3 cylinder codes showed up intermittent misfire .Put it down to previous under bonnet cleaning.