PDA

View Full Version : a few mod questions including turbo upgrade

Serdar-S60T5
Monday 14th August 2006, 14:25
hi everyone,

i'm a little confused and have a few questions. sorry if these have already been discussed before, but here they go :)

why is everybody upgrading their turbos to 19Ts? why not the KKK turbo which is used on the S60R and the new 2.4 liter T5 and which is said to be better than the TD04 series?

the 19T seems to achieve only about 30 bhp higher than the 16T (RICA310 and 340 upgrades). to your experience, is it worth the money to upgrade a 16T to a 19T on an S60T5 ?

what is the maximum power that can be achieved with the stock motor block and the stock (angled) 16T turbo on an S60 T5 ?...... and what kind of power should i now be making with only a filter drop in + 3'' downpipe + 3" direct through silencer instead of cat and a custom superchip @ 1.2 bar boost ?

at higher than what amount of turbo boost and engine power, would the stock injectors and the stock intercooler become insufficient? (i'm not sure this is the right way to ask this question though)

thanks all in advance ! :Handshake

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 14:40
help me anyone?

volvotuning
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 14:42
hi everyone,

why is everybody upgrading their turbos to 19Ts? why not the KKK turbo which is used on the S60R and the new 2.4 liter T5 and which is said to be better than the TD04 series?

Because it's much easier , ie direct bolt on replacement, and therefore much cheaper. To fit a KKK to a pre 2005 T5 is a LOT of work and therefore it will cost a lot of money in labour and parts.

Adam.

lance
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 14:57
19t with a custom map is completly loads better than a 16t.
It flows better so spools up quicker and holds big boost longer, mine actually gained 50 bhp!!
Given the choice I would have a 19t 1st choice followed by a 15g followed by a 16t.

dougt5r
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 05:02
Because it's much easier , ie direct bolt on replacement, and therefore much cheaper. To fit a KKK to a pre 2005 T5 is a LOT of work and therefore it will cost a lot of money in labour and parts.

Adam.

Yep... thats the only .. ONLY reason to stay with a TD04 volvo turbo. Otherwise, they suck imo.

http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/64886348.jpg

MTE tuned 18T (dotted line) vs a GT3071R. Spool up is almost identical (mine actually comes on harder even at 2500rpm).

volvos60t5
Wednesday 30th August 2006, 22:57
the 19T seems to achieve only about 30 bhp higher than the 16T (RICA310 and 340 upgrades). to your experience, is it worth the money to upgrade a 16T to a 19T on an S60T5 ?

What is something worth?? I now have an 19T and i am happy with the result. Main difference for me was the topend. the 16T got out off breath at 5500 rpm but the 19t just keeps delivering power. Mind you that an intercooler upgrade will alow you to run higher boost as well with the 16T.

what is the maximum power that can be achieved with the stock motor block and the stock (angled) 16T turbo on an S60 T5 ?...... and what kind of power should i now be making with only a filter drop in + 3'' downpipe + 3" direct through silencer instead of cat and a custom superchip @ 1.2 bar boost ?

Johann (the swededemon) got 220 kW / 299 hp 409 Nm / 3500 rpm out of his S60T5 with a similar setup.

at higher than what amount of turbo boost and engine power, would the stock injectors and the stock intercooler become insufficient? (i'm not sure this is the right way to ask this question though)
thanks all in advance ! :Handshake

In my opion the stock injectors will do with an 16T whatever the boost. If you run an 19T at boosts of 1.3 bar and over my advice would be to get the green injectors but some tuners are of the opion that it is not necessary. The stock intercooler is sufficiant for wintertime but it is crap in the summer if you run higer boosts (over 1 bar). I think the bigger intercooler was one of the best upgrades I ever put on my S60.