PDA

View Full Version : Front Disk removal

Jaseb77
Sunday 13th August 2006, 11:05
Hi Guys,

In the process of replacing my front 302mm Disks and pads for Mintex C-tech.

Have stripped calipers off but cannot loosen the Caliper retaining bracket two 15MM nuts a the back .

Arrghh, They are on solid, tried cleaning them up wire brush etc. no joy

Is there any way of removing the disk without taking this bracket off ??

Help please

Tomcat
Sunday 13th August 2006, 11:08
Unfortunately......No.

Do you have a torque wrench?, just get a socket that fits very well and use a torque wrench on them. Failing that use a bar on the end of you ratchet. Leverage is what its all down to in the end mate, they will come undone(eventually), good luck mate.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 13th August 2006, 11:22
get a ring spanner on it ...then get another ring spanner and hook it over the open end ..apply pressure as if tightening it and it should ' crack' then hook the second spanner on the other way and try and loosen it ...the spanner will seem to flex but will loosen...:)

Dacvolvo
Sunday 13th August 2006, 11:45
just get a socket that fits very well and use a torque wrench on them. Failing that use a bar on the end of you ratchet. Leverage is what its all down to in the end mate, they will come undone(eventually), good luck mate.

Exactly what I did - just stuck the metal pole from my hydraulic jack over the wrench and used the extra leverage... The little sucker didn't put up much of a fight after that ;)

pzorb
Sunday 13th August 2006, 12:15
Do you have a torque wrench? Killed mine this weekend doing something similar, get a breaker's bar for the job. £20 from halfords vs cost of a new decent torque wrench.

t5tart
Sunday 13th August 2006, 13:48
air impact wrench works for me

but another trick i found works well with siezed sump plugs is to hook a ring spanner on it

then jack the car up on a trolley jack via the ring spanner .... you are using the whole weight of the car to shift the nut and you have very good control

Dacvolvo
Sunday 13th August 2006, 15:16
You could try spraying some WD40 on it and leaving it for 10 minutes before trying?

M44K TS
Sunday 13th August 2006, 15:38
blowtorch?

that's how mine came off (eventually)

siamblue
Sunday 13th August 2006, 16:58
air impact wrench works for me

but another trick i found works well with siezed sump plugs is to hook a ring spanner on it

then jack the car up on a trolley jack via the ring spanner .... you are using the whole weight of the car to shift the nut and you have very good control

breaker bar and a 3 foot piece of scaffold, that's what i use,

T5ER
Sunday 13th August 2006, 17:00
LOL i use our workshop excellent two post ramp both wheels off and a five foot bar 3/4" drive and impact socket,oh and if really hard find the apprentice and get him to do it

dreadly
Sunday 13th August 2006, 17:33
I have a full 1" Draper pro socket set for just such an occasion :)

Spray it with WD40, leave 10mins - Put a "quality" 22" or above ring spanner over a "quality" 15mm ring spanner and use the larger ring spanner as a lever.
The reason I say "quality" is that in the two occasions I have released these bolts they have broken spanners, one of the cars only had 20k miles on the clock.
Don't forget to get a tube of threadlock to put the bolt back in, that is why they are difficult to remove.
The bolt should be replaced really as it's a high-torsion bolt, the volvo P-spec kit comes with replacement bolts.

Woosey
Sunday 13th August 2006, 17:39
Im guessing it going to have thread lock on this bolt, hence why its not shifting.

remember to replace the thread lock when you stick the new disks on!

siamblue
Sunday 13th August 2006, 19:29
Im guessing it going to have thread lock on this bolt, hence why its not shifting.

remember to replace the thread lock when you stick the new disks on!

If you buy gen Volvo discs, they come with new bolts already thread locked,

twotrees
Sunday 13th August 2006, 22:01
Hi Guys,

In the process of replacing my front 302mm Disks and pads for Mintex C-tech.

Have stripped calipers off but cannot loosen the Caliper retaining bracket two 15MM nuts a the back .

Arrghh, They are on solid, tried cleaning them up wire brush etc. no joy

Is there any way of removing the disk without taking this bracket off ??

Help please
hi can cut the diskes on the car if you like.

dicky b t5
Sunday 13th August 2006, 22:34
hi can cut the diskes on the car if you like.
Yes that'll get the old ones off .... But you wont get the new ones on..!:)

Jaseb77
Sunday 13th August 2006, 23:08
Thanks guys for all the advice,

Going to try the torque wrench , blow torch wd40 etc, on Monday Night.

I did try a 15mm socket, and a two foot extension bar but still didn't move,

maybe I'm a wimp ?

Tomcat
Monday 14th August 2006, 00:18
Your obviously not trying hard enough, keep leaning on the bar until something goes 'Crack', it'll either be the bolt breaking loose or your back giving out!, either way it wont matter any more!..

thunderace
Monday 14th August 2006, 00:24
have you tried doing them up a touch then undoing them, sometimes works with stubborn ones, it just cracks the "seal"

Jaseb77
Monday 14th August 2006, 21:26
Thanks guys for all your input. I took some WD40, and an long extendable bar & 15mm Socket.

And went for it like a mad-man, two of us lifted the car a small bit off the axle stands at the corner with the effort then "crack" .

feck I thought I've broke it. !!

But no it came loose, repeat on the other side, phew

Thanks god as the pads and disk were shot, and I didn't want to drive it like that anymore.

Cheers for the pointers