PDA

View Full Version : 2 new events - opinions

Andrew
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:49
Folks

I've been thinking about organising a couple of events I'm not sure if it's suitable to do them together or do on two seperate weekends a month or two apart.

Event 1 - Volvo T5 Forums go to the beach - fairly simple really - family day out at the beach - probably something like hunstanton in the East Anglia region would be good for people to get to (location not confirmed) - cheap day out, fun and games on the beach - Families and kids invited etc

Event 2 - Something along the lines of an advanced driving day maybe involving the local police and their volvos - the police often do these as a publicity thing I'll do some more digging and write a few letters.

Both planned for late summer - would these be interesting ? we'd need a dozen members at least to make it worth while.

I'm also working on a Euro trip but as this will be more expensive I don't suppose there will be much of a take up. More to come on that.

Is the support there for me to start looking into these events?

Andrew.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:58
I like the Event 2 - advanced driving skills. Performance driving skills. That kinda thing. I thought VOC ran a course?

splatt
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 00:11
yep...driving day.....need to spend some of that hard earned cash but in 1o years will we be talking about the hustanton sand castle ore the top power slide which nearly killed all of us.
No expense spared.....lets kill off some ozone......

chriskay
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 00:15
Yes, event 2 please. Can't make Hunstanton; for those who do, be careful: if you go any further east, you fall off the edge of the world. :cuckoo:

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 02:56
Event 2 is a defo if you can pull it off....
you'd better get dates, prices and deposits as usual....
:eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_

Andrew
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 08:56
Event 2 is a defo if you can pull it off....
you'd better get dates, prices and deposits as usual....
:eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_

OK I'll do some digging and see what options are available to us - if the police will get involved from a PR stunt or if we have to make this one private.

Andrew.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:27
I wanna go to the beach *stamps foot* :grumpy:

I had thought about the beach idea over the weekend but couldn't think of the most convenient place??

But I'd also do the Advanced driving too!! :banana:

x

Andrew
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:33
I wanna go to the beach *stamps foot* :grumpy:

I had thought about the beach idea over the weekend but couldn't think of the most convenient place??

But I'd also do the Advanced driving too!! :banana:

x

Well I figured the beach would be good for 2 things
1) it gives us an op to kick tyres of each others car whilst eating ice cream
2) it's a VF event families/other halves can attend.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:53
I totally agree Andrew, it would be great to get some family orientated meets arranged!

x

Goof
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 11:32
I like the idea of both - especially the beach one ~ be great day for families.
Fancied an ice cream at Avon but van had gone, so I'll have one on the beach instead! - do we have to kick tyres tho?, I'm afraid I might drop my 99 in the sand.. :(

Kent Canary
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 13:01
I love Hunstanton..!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th April 2005, 04:18
Live about 100yds from Beach..only go there to walk the dogs....not sure if I'll travel hundreds of miles to another beach.....

However if you where to have the meet in Rhosneigr (yep it is spelt right...) this would mean that you lot would have to spend £100's on fuel instead of me.......... :B_rotfl: and there is loads of parking if the sells anythingto ya.............. thought not ....

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th April 2005, 04:19
Bring On The Advance Driving Skool......

Mrsmopp
Saturday 9th April 2005, 11:17
OK! Summer beach meet in sunny wales to incorporate our more westerly members? I think its about time!

x

Tomcat
Saturday 9th April 2005, 15:01
:worship: Hurrah!..........

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th April 2005, 16:05
OK! Summer beach meet in sunny wales to incorporate our more westerly members? I think its about time!

x

I know some great places to stay (camp) on the Gower Pennisula. And there is surfing to be had - Yay!!

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 10th April 2005, 18:25
Gower Penninsula - I might as well travel to Avon Park...!!!!....it's just as far.... :beer:

chriskay
Sunday 10th April 2005, 20:10
I'd be up for Anglesea. (& maybe a track day?)

Kent Canary
Sunday 10th April 2005, 20:31
Portmerion! I am not a number, I am a free man!

GuyD5
Sunday 10th April 2005, 21:18
Anglesey is good for me too :) .... and some of the roads getting there are :dgrin: ... more fun than the straight roads in East Anglia :hidesbehi

pikeajm
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:04
cornwall has some great beaches

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:16
Well I didn't expect that response. I could find a piccy of a cove right next to Ty-Croes Race track.

Large Car park, perfect backdrop for photos..
Perfect for Dave and his canoe.
Perfect for those that want to sun-worship BBQ etc...
2mins from Ty-Croes race track
5mins from pub
5mins from my house for use as hotel (possible 4 spare rooms)....

I still want to go driving though..... :cop: :eclipsee_

Andrew
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:26
Sounds promising - I'd be interested depending on when etc.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:44
Anglesey - sounds like we may be headin' your Way
- ne (see what I did there - LOL :wallbash: :lol: :uglyhamme )

GuyD5
Sunday 10th April 2005, 22:57
cornwall has some great beaches

and some beautiful weather ... but it's a lot of Optimax from the Midlands for a day out :(

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 10th April 2005, 23:03
I know this fab boarding house in Bude. Very cheap. I'd love to go back.

http://www.northshorebude.com/

Sean & Janine are fab. Been there twice.

So many places - so little money! LOL

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 10th April 2005, 23:49
So many places so little time.....
http://www.beaumaris.org.uk/images/photo_gallery/gallery12lg.jpg
sunset over Cable bay....

Mrsmopp
Monday 11th April 2005, 09:58
Anglesea it is then!

Judge do you want to organise it? (seeing as its your neck of the woods?) Start a new thread up?

x

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 02:02
I'll get some piccys of the area and get then hosted on my friend's web (cos I'm too stupid to sort out my ftp/web/etc.. and other cr*p. why do they make things so complicated) so that people can make up their own minds...

I'll also find out what's going on in the area for people to do and pick a weekend when it may suite the many......

We did have a T-5 Rally car. Does anyone remember who he is and if he's got any dates up here...?

anyway maybe Andrew could update us on the driving skool....

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:45
Andy is contacting the Yorkshire police to see if they can do something for us as he's friendly with them (didn't ask exactly how ;)

I've tried to contact the Advanced driving school folks to see if they can offer us anything - nothing back yet.

There are a number of track days (these are very safe for you first timers - very little chance of hitting anything especially on the right track) which range in price from £99 to £250 but most have a driver who can sit in your car with you in turn and give you some tips.

There are alos a number of courses (from £60-250) that cover things like spin pans (very good fun) and other part techniques.

A lot of the courses are aimed at single drivers rather than groups so I'm still looking - what would people be prepared to pay? are people interested in track type days with some tuition or would an advanced driving licence introduction be more of a benefit (this allows you to go on and take more lessons towards the advanced licence and cheaper insurance) or something else? Let me know.

Andrew.

chriskay
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 09:08
Anglesey is good for me too :) .... and some of the roads getting there are :dgrin: ... more fun than the straight roads in East Anglia :hidesbehi

Yes, some great fun roads to drive (but not the boring A55). Just got to watch out for the police; the Chief Constable is reputed to have zero tolerance of speeding. :bricks:
With regard to advanced driving, you could always join a local RoSPA group. They will coach you for the test, which costs £45. The coaching is free. RoSPA seem a little more tolerant of temporarily exceeding the speed limit than the I.A.M. but both organisations are essentially concerned with safety, not high speed car handling. It's not as boring as you may think & some insurance companies give a discount.
Cheers, Chris.

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 09:12
Yes, some great fun roads to drive (but not the boring A55). Just got to watch out for the police; the Chief Constable is reputed to have zero tolerance of speeding. :bricks:
With regard to advanced driving, you could always join a local RoSPA group. They will coach you for the test, which costs £45. The coaching is free. RoSPA seem a little more tolerant of temporarily exceeding the speed limit than the I.A.M. but both organisations are essentially concerned with safety, not high speed car handling. It's not as boring as you may think & some insurance companies give a discount.
Cheers, Chris.

Agreed but initially we're looking for a group event. Not sure RoSPA or I.A.M can handle a dozen volvo drivers at once :)

Still we shall see..

chriskay
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 09:23
Agreed but initially we're looking for a group event. Not sure RoSPA or I.A.M can handle a dozen volvo drivers at once :)

Still we shall see..
Yeah, sorry, lost the thread there.

mas
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 18:21
Can't emphasize enough , the Welsh Police have gone Barking Mad for speed enforcement , especially mobile speed vans on country roads.

This has got my m8 waiting for a ban and possible job loss.

I truly would think very very hard b4 arranging a jolly to Wales.

( even though I'm movin very close to Wales in a few weeks :sheep: )

Mas

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 03:24
You're so right when it comes to the Zero tolerance of the North Wales Police...but I'll let you in on something.....They have such I large open area to cover it is only the very unlucky who get caught.... I've lived here for 20 years and in that time I've been caught only once...and it was a very dodgy speeding claim but I didn't have the time to take off work to argue it..
also they only use Arrive alive cameras, so no permanent roadside cameras to worry about on Anglesey....(YET....)

The worst place for me is Cheshire Police.... been done 4 times now... one set of three points goes off, only for another set to arrive.....

The location I'm proposing is well out of the way and there are some magic roads for you to play with and any late night stayers may even go on my thunder road experience....which so far no-one has yet stayed carm on apart from the missus...someof my passengers include my brother & friends; some jet fighter pilots; two hitch hikers that got out half way......

Anyway I''ve finished my pics and I'll start new thread for Anglesey tomorrow...(hopefully)

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 12:52
Re: The Police/Advance driving day I have spoken to the sergent @ Leicestershire constabulary and the best he can come up with is an evening seminar that they hold quarterly mainly due to the implications of joe public and police cars I'm afraid.

x

Andrew
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 19:51
Yup - I've had no joy with the police - I guess the cut backs have effected them ... Andy any joy with the Yorkshire force?

There is little about basically.

Skid pan days are about £100 a person - can take groups of upto 12 - I've done one of these and there great fun!

Track days are easy to organise but they cost between 90-150 quid - there's lots of newby days - if we get enough cars we can hire the whole track and there's plenty of tracks with no obsticales to worry about hitting. Anyone interested?

I've had nothing back from the institute of advanced drivers. :( although I suggest you persue this on your own - the lessons cost nothing just the test and if you get your advanced driving licence you will get an insurance reduction.

Finally I spoke to the Cambridge Advanced Motorists who are happy to get a number of observers along for an assessment day and lecture but we'd need to fork out for a suitable room, food etc. I don't think this is what people are after though.

Comments - would people be interested in track day or skid pan or something similar?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 21st April 2005, 00:29
Advanced Drivers Institute are a load of tosh. I once attended a local meet, they took me out on a Sunday morning at 9.30am, roads were empty, i got chastised for doing over 30 in a 30 zone , i had about 6 cars up my ass calling me all names under the sun, i got told off for not steering correctly, ie push/pull, then i was told the correct way to change gear is from 5th to 3rd and 4th to 2nd etc, all this in the space of an hour. I also stalled the car twice in that hour , something ive never done before in my post test days.

ADI! What a set of Wan**rs! Vote Labour! :icon_soap

Andrew
Thursday 21st April 2005, 08:10
Advanced Drivers Institute are a load of tosh. I once attended a local meet, they took me out on a Sunday morning at 9.30am, roads were empty, i got chastised for doing over 30 in a 30 zone , i had about 6 cars up my ass calling me all names under the sun, i got told off for not steering correctly, ie push/pull, then i was told the correct way to change gear is from 5th to 3rd and 4th to 2nd etc, all this in the space of an hour. I also stalled the car twice in that hour , something ive never done before in my post test days.

ADI! What a set of Wan**rs! Vote Labour! :icon_soap

Wwweeelllll..........

your not meant to do more than 30 in a 30 zone sod those behind you... she was teaching you the correct method of steering and your permitted to go down gear at 2 in a time rather than 5, 4, 3,2,1 etc you can go 5,3,1 or 4,2, etc

The advanced driving intructors are there to take your driving ability to near perfect performance according to the highway code. They are not there to teach you how to drive quickly. After all holding a advanced driving licence gets you an insurance reduction because your driving to code rather than driving quickly right ;)

I'm sure we've all picked up bad habbits over the years and I know I for one can't remember everything in the highway code.

The way I see it is this. Consider the Advanced driving classes as you did your initial driving classes. Treat the test as a re-test - you need to be perfect and do everything by the book. Once it's done you take what they taught you about taking corners, judging other road users etc and incorporate it into your "normal" driving style to make it safer for you and others as your doing 140mph down the motorway chap :)

Sounds like your up for a track day ROTFLMAO

Mrsmopp
Thursday 21st April 2005, 09:04
Sorry guys but I'm not interested in a trtack day - I just cant warrant spending a hundred quid on a track day when I have more important things to spend that on.......

x

GuyD5
Friday 6th May 2005, 00:15
Hi Wayne

Any more on the possible Anglesey meet?

Looks like 3rd July may be at Shakespeare County Raceway :)

Good to meet you finally at Stretton Fox :D

JUDGENINJA
Friday 13th May 2005, 23:25
yeah...an Anglesey meet is still a go go......
I made a nice edited photo to head the thread but I still can't seem to get my webspace to accept my pictures (or anything for that matter).

thats the only reason I haven't started a thread....Maybe I should start it anyway.....

Vikingxl
Saturday 14th May 2005, 10:31
Anglesey sounds good do you know if the dogs will be allowed on the beach though??

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 14th May 2005, 22:13
It's all down to the local bylaws. The main Rhosneigr Beach has banned dogs between May and Aug but the other beaches are OK for Dogs.....they have Horses and they crap all over the place......!!!!!

Vikingxl
Saturday 14th May 2005, 22:15
Thanks for the info we will see what we can do.