PDA

View Full Version : 15g turbo differences ?

nobananas
Saturday 12th August 2006, 12:29
Bought a 15g to rebuild but am know becoming concerned that it may not be the one for my 96' T5. Is there a difference between the early 15g and the latter and what are those differences (I am assuming it's to do with flange design) Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it !

thunderace
Saturday 12th August 2006, 12:40
the flanges differ, flat with a step or conical.
not sure which is fitted when etc
if 'wrong' you could always fit different exhaust connection, you know, the flexy part

t5tart
Saturday 12th August 2006, 12:41
Bought a 15g to rebuild but am know becoming concerned that it may not be the one for my 96' T5. Is there a difference between the early 15g and the latter and what are those differences (I am assuming it's to do with flange design) Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it !

yes the flange is different on the earlier ones
one has a conical flange and the other a flat

i had this problem when i changed my turbo
mine was conical
and had to get a flat flange
fortunatly hamish had an old downpipe of justins which after a bit of welding did the job :biggrin:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/t5tart/volvo/oldturbo.jpg
the earlier conical flange

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/t5tart/volvo/newturbo.jpg
the newer flat flange

nobananas
Saturday 12th August 2006, 12:48
The one I've got to rebuild has the flat flange, so here's hoping the one on the motor has too ! Cheers guys, thanks for the quick response !

t5tart
Saturday 12th August 2006, 12:57
mine is a 94 i think they changed to flat flange in 95

arbee
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 23:01
mine is a 94 i think they changed to flat flange in 95

Any ideas when? Can anyone confirm the turbo of a 95 T-5R, and dependent on what turbo is on it, if anything else is a straight swap without messing with the down pipe etc.?

from doing a bity of reading on here i think i want to stick with the 15g as i like the quick spool up tho open to suggestions....

Hep me with my woes!

iGGy
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 08:34
I don't think there's any definitive cut-off date when it comes to the switch between conical and flat flanges. Volvo fitted whatever they had in stock at the time.

Your only way to be sure is to take off the heat shield and look at the gap between the downpipe and turbo. You can usually see if it's conical or not.

arbee
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 09:29
Ta - I may just do that :) I can cope with taking the heatshield of i think lol!