PDA

View Full Version : Big Induction!

Bison
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:34
My mates got a Nissan 200sx With a huge RamAir filter on it! I mean it is huge. Now I want a big filter for my T5. I'm not convinced about the ITG panel filter, There are plenty of ways of getting cold air to the filter and mostly for me I want that induction roar and the chatter noise you get from the cone filter. I have drilled the airbox and just don't get the sound I want.

So what is the biggest and best cone air filter made for the T5?

After_Shock
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:40
Find out what width the tube is that runs into the maf sensor and find out whats the biggest universal cone filter is that you can get to fit that size or as near to that size as you can, likes of K&N do millions of the things.

If it comes to it get a pipe made to adjust the diameter that you need to fit one to a bit and go from their.

I did that on my astra when I had it and was easily the biggest filter about on that type of car!

Al115
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:59
But when you do it, be s*dding careful!

I have had some bad experiences with cone filters confusing the hell out of the MAF, leading to incorrect fuelling.

If you are going non-standard or "experimental", definitely have the fuelling checked on a rolling road before and after. And I'm sorry, but don't do this -

If it comes to it get a pipe made to adjust the diameter that you need to fit one to a bit and go from their.
because I did and it led to massive leaning out at high revs! Apparently the extra turbulence created (or lack of it, we're not sure) meant that the MAF sensor was measuring the airflow wrongly.

I'm currently running a JR cone filter on mine which makes a great noise, and the fuelling is fine.

Alastair

Bison
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:01
Find out what width the tube is that runs into the maf sensor

Don't suppose anyone knows the answer to this?

Bison

Al115
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:05
Dude, it's not worth it!!! Get a standard cone if you want to go the induction route (most people will say that panel filters are the way to go, but they don't make *THAT* noise, and there's no difference in power output with a proper cold air feed).

Not meaning to be a killjoy, just trying to save you some hassle...

Alastair

After_Shock
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:25
I didnt say it was a good idea!

I fitted a pipercross induction kit on mine with a downpipe a de-cat and took it into volvo, one guy was inspecting it and one revved the engine and it sucked his hand onto the air filter, it was seriously over fuelling and probably returning about 3mpg on average.

I cant remember the diameter of the pipe unfortunately.

spesh
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:35
A carbon fiber Viper air filter, I know they aint cheap, but thet block the heat and you get the noise ur looking for

SaffronC70
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:47
Hi

I've been considering a Blitz SUS stainless cone, but I've just ordered an Apexi Power Cone - a dry filter that should not mess up the MAF. I'll let you know how I get on.

Al, I recommend you also watch this space before spending out on a new MAF due to oil contamination !

I inspected my JR cone, and all the oil has been sucked out of it ! The cotton is white now, not blue !

Chris

check this, made my decision - http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Bison
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:52
I've been considering a Blitz SUS stainless cone

Sounds good mate but do they do one for the T5? If they don't where did you get the Apexi Cone? I'm surprised Apexi do one for the T5 as usually Apexi stick to Jap cars don't they?

Bison

After_Shock
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:19
Aslong as the pipe fits dont really matter what car its for!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 00:05
I would listen to Ali, a word from the wise. There is nothing wrong with the standard airbox. What is the point of having the cone if it messes up your maf and/or fueling. A new MAF will cost over £200. There is also the hot air induction to take care of. The cone will suck in all the air from around the bay and without adequate sheilding you will lose on performance.

Just looking out for you mate.

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:18
A carbon fiber Viper air filter, I know they aint cheap, but thet block the heat and you get the noise ur looking for
thats what i'm running, although it did collapse the standard flexie pipe they supplied on full throttle so had Powerflow make me a stainless steel version up

http://covcrew.dyndns.org/covcrew/volvo-850-t5/archive/archive10.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:25
You know how much I like BT and your good self. But surely this means what you've got, is a cone in a box?

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:30
You know how much I like BT and your good self. But surely this means what you've got, is a cone in a box?
ish, the Viper uses a sheet of foam in the container instead of a cone, but same principle. My main reasions tho were

1. noticable improvemnt between Pipercross & K&N open cone filter (& Viper uses the same foam)
2. straight thru airflow to the MAF unlike a OE box or an open cone
3. it was free :smile:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:33